Verify that the issue is related to your sound, and make sure the game does not crash with disabled sound. Make sure the issue is not caused by a UI or SIM mod.
How to disable the sound properly:
FAF Launcher ⇾ Options ⇾ Forged Alliance Forever ⇾ Command Line Format for Executable ⇒ add /nosound behind the "%s"
- Uninstall FAF and Supreme Commander completely and remove any leftover files, so we can begin with a 100% working environment.
Make sure no leftover files are in: (Path may be different, if you have the GOG version, or you have selected a different installation path.)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance C:\ProgramData\FAForever %LOCALAPPDATA%\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\
- Install the latest release from FAF from here: https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/releases
Install Supreme Commander via Steam or GOG
Try if the sound issue is gone with a fresh installation, if not then:
- Make sure your windows is up-to-date.
- Set your sound card to stereo only.
- Make sure your sound card is using 44100 Hz / 16 bit.
- Try with 44100 Hz / 24 bit as well, if 16 bit crashes
- Disable all sound enhancements for your current sound card.
- Disable every sound device, that is not related to your current sound card (Restart PC).
For example - I have a USB sound card Focusrite and a ton of other stuff. I have disabled the NIVIDIA and Waves SoundGrid; For testing purpose, you disable everything except your sound card.
If you are not using your on-board sound card, then you need to deactivate the on-board sound via BIOS. Consult google or your main board manual to do so.
- If it is still not working - I know it can be frustrating, but it boils now down to his:
- Try a different/new USB sound card, if you still have sound issues, then reinstall Windows, do not install any third-party software (maybe insert_random_software causes the sound error somehow). Go only with FAF and Supreme Commander and hope for the best.
No one knows why this error happens and why there is no guarantee fix for it after so many years. It can be related to so many things, which makes it is quite impossible to know what causes it, except it has to do with the sound card or other software that touches the sound somehow.
Usually, step 1 and 2 will fix the issue for most people, but unfortunately, sometimes this is not the case, there is nothing you can do except step 3.
If you need any guidance, please make your own thread here:
There are headphones or sound monitors which come with their own software or your PC already has some pre-installed software for sound enhancements, 96000+ Hz / 32 bit or other stuff that could cause the issue. For testing purpose, just uninstall the software and only use the drivers.
Also, try "regular" pair of headphones/monitors that plug in the stereo output, as opposed to those using USB.
When you have found any information that could possibly solve the sound issue, which is not listed here, please PM me about, and I will add it. Thanks in advance.