Removing A Pink

I would argue the same could be done for the two reds.

As everyone else said, I agree that we shouldn't remove the pinks. It's easy to tell light pink and Dark Pink.

FAF Website Developer

@speed2 How about we don't? The primary objective should be to make the game readable for players and casters, and having Gyle try to figure out which pink is on which team is the absolute worst decision we could make. We should 1) determine the target amount of colors based on what the maximum number of players in a game should be (e.g. 16) and then pick the colors such that the difference between every color is maximized. With that said, I think the colors are just about fine the way they are, and the focus should be just on improving them slightly (e.g. the current dark violet should have white as a secondary color, not black, to maximize contrast).

I think you missed the /sarcasme that is part of the post of speed2 πŸ™‚ .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

The true solution is having people stop calling fuchsia pink since it's a purple (fite me).

What do you mean there are other purple colors in the game??

@jip said in Removing A Pink:

I think you missed the /sarcasme that is part of the post of speed2 πŸ™‚ .

He responded to sarcasm but it’s still a pertinent point to the OP

Actually I thought this was about more than two pinks lol so nvm

These colors can be distinguished without issues, don't see a need to remove.

@giebmasse said in Removing A Pink:

These colors can be distinguished without issues, don't see a need to remove.

These are no barrier-free colors.
I am red/green color blind and those colors look absolutyl the same.
So at least i have issues and i see the need for remove.

Maybe to combat this it would be more useful to make sure the ally/enemy color option is distinguishable for the color blind folks rather than try to fit in 20 colours here?

@uveso with that logic we should remove all colors from the game, because there will always be someone out there who is color blind to one of the colors in the game. The better fix would to implement a UI mod that allows people to customize the colors for themselves in game.

That defeats the whole purpose of colors as a tool of identification, it isn't a solution to anything.

Regarding color blindness/color differentiation/etc, it's good to have colors that have differences in several ways (ie: red value, blue value, green value, hue, saturation, brightness), rather than just 1 or 2. That was one of the things I was focusing on with my suggestions for color changes. The only differences with these two pinks is in green value and saturation IIRC.

pfp credit to gieb

Yes being barrier free is sometimes unpleasant for normal people.

So the only question is whether we want to at least try to achieve high accessibility or not.

So do we care about handicapped people or not?

I'd only be interested in seeing one of these colors removed when given an enticing alternative color to replace it.

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

Nobody better fucking touch my pink, that shit stays.

@aulex Where have you been with your mapgen games 😞

But yes I also vote for the pinks staying

ff88ff should be a little bit lighter

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!

@emperor_penguin have you heard of allies vs enemies colour scheme in options?
You are blue
Allies are green
Enemies are red

"Good luck and a safe landing commanders!"

@emperor_penguin said in Removing A Pink:

Regarding color blindness/color differentiation/etc, it's good to have colors that have differences in several ways (ie: red value, blue value, green value, hue, saturation, brightness), rather than just 1 or 2. That was one of the things I was focusing on with my suggestions for color changes. The only differences with these two pinks is in green value and saturation IIRC.

I don't think it is that easy.
The colors that color blind people cannot tell apart may not necessarily correspond to the technical linear values that are usually used to define colors in software (even for non-color-blind people, saturation changes can cause an impression of hue change to humans; this is why "human" color spaces exist). Not really sure on this but this should be checked before making any changes to any colors for color-blind people.

Edit:
I think there are not that many different major types of color blindnesses. If sombody made a set of colors for each color blindness, they could probably be integrated rather easily in the game options.

@yellownoob
Yes, that's less desirable for me to use.

@katharsas
I've spent time looking at filters for colors with different forms of colorblindness and talked with colorblind people about their colorblindness with various colors and with what helps in the past. Making colors different in several ways is not a guarantee that they will appear different to every possible form of colorblindness by any means, but it theoretically does make it significantly more likely that they'll be at least somewhat distinguishable to people with more forms of colorblindness, rather than looking basically or literally identical to them.

pfp credit to gieb