Personal/Custom Avatars

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

@stormlantern Yeah if you ping me on discord with what you should have I can add it to my list to do at some point

Ras Boi's save lives.

Why can't we all get custom avatars of our choosing? What's the big deal. This would be nothing but a plus for FAF

We are all suffering so that you won't get one. Tis sad but true.

@yew The deal is mentioned in this thread and the discord thread which you apparently didn't follow and the fact that you contributed nothing to the FAF community so it's a hard "no" for your custom avatar anyway imho.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

I don't even have dev ava 😢

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

@sladow-noob said in Personal/Custom Avatars:

@yew The deal is mentioned in this thread and the discord thread which you apparently didn't follow and the fact that you contributed nothing to the FAF community so it's a hard "no" for your custom avatar anyway imho.

There is a discord thread on avatar policing? My apologies I didn't realise.

The custom ava's for all point went completely over your head didn't it. Tell me, how would custom avatars for everyone be a bad thing? The community is tiny. This would be cool if everyone had an ava of their design and choosing and something akin to a personal profile picture for their Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forever account.

I understand this would be rather a lot of effort however, and I recognise this will never happen, not that it shouldn't, but it won't cause reason like, Some nonsense about the fact it will take away the meaning of custom ava's people already have; will devalue all those ava's in existence that people have, if everyone has one then you can't distinguish between earned ava's and merely having ava's, and so on and so forth.

"..so it's a hard "no" for your custom avatar anyway imho."

Gosh so many things to unpack there.

Please tell me how you arrived at that conclusion, that I personally want a custom avatar, cause you know we all want those right, they are so cool man, gosh I really love custom avatars for they are really cool and amazing and I really wish I had one for my Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forever account.

Yeah I could not care less about a custom avatar.

I like how you say hard no, as though there is a difference between no and a hard no, and the fact you put no in quotation marks, what is the point of that exactly? Doesn't make sense in the slightest. "Your custom avatar". What custom avatar would that be then? What makes you say that? Cause I lightly suggested everyone should have a custom avatar, cause you know, cool man. Again, who cares about custom avatar's, tourney avatars, or avatar the movie (actually avatar the movie was good, but not the second one).

I mean obviously you care a lot.

Why?

Because a man's country's leader decided to start a war, now that man can't get paid for a gaming tournament and so as a kind gesture of goodwill and compensation he was given a custom avatar. What is wrong with you?

Let the man have his custom avatar. Why does that bother you so much so you have to create a big post on the forums.

As far as my contribution to Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forever account goes, well I wouldn't say it's nothing, the fact I play daily is good for the community. As small of a part I play in the survival of this game is, I am still part of the few that keep it alive by playing almost daily. That is a contribution in an of itself.

You telling me I contribute nothing is an egomaniacal statement and you as a mod shouldn't talk down to players like that.

Fine I don't have 50,000 messages in discord "training" people and arguing with people etc...what is your giant contribution to this game exactly?

Anyway I appreciate you gave me your honest opinion on the matter.

"imho" lol.

Bro what do you smoke? Xd

— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Everyone gets custom personal avatars on the forum and discord, but a tiny 40x20 avatar only visible in Aeolus is the most valuable thing on FAF.

@yew said in Personal/Custom Avatars:

Tell me, how would custom avatars for everyone be a bad thing?

I was not involved in the decision to put a halt to personal avatars, but I presume it has to do with the difficulties associated with managing avatars. The tools we have make it very difficult to deal with many avatars. If we had better tools it might be worth a new discussion but there's many things before that in need of dev time.

Why does that bother you so much so you have to create a big post on the forums.

Sladow validly pointed out that there are some inconsistencies with how avatars are managed, and we should have some more straightforward rules and transparency concerning them.

you as a mod

Sladow is not and never has been a moderator.

Maybe he was thinking of me. Comparing playing the game everyday to actively contributing to sustaining it seems a bit clown to me.

@spikeynoob said in Personal/Custom Avatars:

Maybe he was thinking of me. Comparing playing the game everyday to actively contributing to sustaining it seems a bit clown to me.

Quote me where I make this comparison. You misunderstand what I am saying as a response to that particular comment that was made.

You also somehow fail to see that merely the act of playing the game via FAF is indeed, albeit a small way, contributing to sustaining the game. If there were no people wanting to play Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, there would be no Forged Alliance Forever.

Calling players clowns is not exactly promoting FAF is it, nor is it in anyway useful or nice. And you as an actual moderator should know better than to call a participant of such a niche community a clown.

You're a naïve, ego-driven schoolboy experiencing a minor power trip. I get it.

The first two sentences in your first message were good, the rest just drastically feel beyond negative IQ level so I'm not even sure if you wrote it or if you told ChatGPT to write the most troll and Bullshit thing in existence :4head:

Time to lock this thread

@reckless_charger locking / restricting a single user on here is enough to keep it more human.

@sladow-noob said in Personal/Custom Avatars:

The first two sentences in your first message were good, the rest just drastically feel beyond negative IQ level so I'm not even sure if you wrote it or if you told ChatGPT to write the most troll and Bullshit thing in existence :4head:

One thing my masters degree taught me was how to write. I'll take it as a compliment though that you think I used ChatGPT 😉

Apparently you're not following the ChatGPT trolling on Discord. This was definitely not a compliment.

Now please stop posting on this thread. We now know your opinion, that's enough, leave this thread up for more important updates etc. Thank you.

@deribus
Not sure how important it is in particular RN, but I'd list "Veteran FAFer" under "Contributor" - it's original purpose was to honor direct FAF contributors (members of any team) that stopped participating in FAF (the project, not game) in their further life pursuits.

My view (omg a personal experience!) on avatars had always been that they are a type of 'badge of honor' rewarded to the few for exceptional success (note this can be interpreted in many ways).

Thus, the idea of "personal avatars" doesn't really sit well with me. I wouldn't, however, be against a 'Profile image' idea.
So you could have a profile image you can upload and have visible when someone opens your profile sheet in the client, and it would function like any other profile picture in any service ever. Ofc, this would require client and backend work, which we obviously are lacking people for as it already is, so I'd sooner place it on the back burner of "things we'd like to have but aren't high priority".

That being said, I'd still keep avatars as a way of marking those with special contributions and achievements. And not as a way of personalizing one's profile on an "everyone" basis.