Who owns the rights to the SC:FA source code?

@nine2 said in Who owns the rights to the SC:FA source code?:

Someone once told me where the code is, but we need permission first. I don't think it's lost

I happened to work on a game project (a mobile game with a small budget) and from my experience interacting with the publisher, I concluded that they would not do anything for free:
If_youre_good_at_something_never_do_it_for_free_Joker__.gif

Of course, if you find someone who is willing to spend ~$2M (Christ Taylor said in an interview that it would most likely cost several million.) to resolve all copyright issues. This might work 🙂
@nine2 Do you think there is another way?

We could try and go to them and just ask nicely, saying it would be good publicity and citing examples of other publishers giving up the code and how good that turned out. We could point out that FA monthly players are actually growing right now and this might lead to more sales or more interest for an acquisition of the ip for them. I know people have sent emails in the past but you could do it a bit nicer with fancy slides and charts etc. A nice business pitch.

I don't think it's likely to work, but no harm in trying. And we should make the results public so we don't have to do this every 4 years.

What game are you working on

every 4 years.

Every month.

If you would ever make up a budget instead of dream in the air I'd be happy to go down this road.

Guys... It's not gonna happen. It wouldn't help much even if it did. People with money have tried before and it didn't happen then, it's not going to happen now. Just search the old forums and stop making this thread every week.

These threads should be locked unless someone has 7 figures of money

There's nothing in the source code that you can't just google how it works and find an equivalent or better solution right now.

What game are you working on

Secret information ). (our team was a contractor for manual testing of one of the wargaming games. I was an project manager on the project.)

We could try and go to them and just ask nicely, saying it would be good publicity and citing examples of other publishers giving up the code and how good that turned out.

I'm not interested in the source code. It would be better if they make a remaster that fixes the main problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/supremecommander/comments/ugyetz/embracer_group_to_acquire_eidos_crystal_dynamics/

There is a chance that everything is now in the hands of Embracer

I know people have sent emails in the past but you could do it a bit nicer with fancy slides and charts etc. A nice business pitch.

Great idea. Don't want to do this? It’s better to ask for a remaster and indicate in the presentation how they will return all the money invested). This is a more realistic option.

@redx said in Who owns the rights to the SC:FA source code?:

Guys... It's not gonna happen.

Are you talking about transferring the source code? Yes, I completely agree with you. This will never happen.
But I think the chances of a remaster being released are much higher)
If the source code and IP are now the property of Embracer, this simplifies the process.

@nflanders said in Who owns the rights to the SC:FA source code?:

There is a chance that everything is now in the hands of Embracer

It's not, I asked them at the time of that purchase and they confirmed Supcom was not one of the IPs in that transaction.

db7b1c41-6cd4-4776-bf03-db23bd5291aa-image.png

I would think the odds are a master would be even lower than the odds of a source code release. Maybe I am not fully aware of the economic forces behind this franchise, but I cannot imagine there being enough of a market to justify remastering this game.

@deribus thanks for the info đź‘Ť
here it is stated that CRYSTAL DYNAMICS does not own IP SupCom. But this does not exclude the possibility that the rights were acquired.

https://embracer.com/releases/embracer-group-enters-into-an-agreement-to-acquire-eidos-crystal-dynamics-and-square-enix-montreal-amongst-other-assets/

From the official Embracer website:

"Embracer Group AB (”Embracer”) has entered into an agreement to acquire the development studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal, and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and more than 50 back-catalogue games from SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD."

A maximum of 10 franchises have been confirmed, but the official website claims another 50 games from the Square Enix catalog.

In this Reddit thread, in one of the comments, the user refers to an insider from Square Enix.
https://www.reddit.com/r/supremecommander/comments/ugyetz/embracer_group_to_acquire_eidos_crystal_dynamics/

@nflanders I heard it was my fathers brothers older cousins room mate that obtained the code by bar room kumite brawl fight! Some still say he is still Champion and holder of the code "The Final Boss If You Will." His weakness is a Bionic Elbow To The Head or Dempsey Roll......The Bionic Dempsey Roll Elbow!

Maybe I am not fully aware of the economic forces behind this franchise, but I cannot imagine there being enough of a market to justify remastering this game.

sc1_vs_sc2.png

Interesting fact, a lot of people talked about how terrible Supremme Commander 2 turned out, but if you look at the graphs, the popularity of SC:FA was not much more than SC2. If you look at the graph, this was the case until approximately June 2022. I'm wondering what's causing this online growth in SC:FA in 2022?

We are 🙂

The client can register itself as the game, bumping the numbers in Steam.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

We wonder this too - why specifically such a huge jump in a short amount of time?

that was when the feature got introduced in the client. Before that the faf players were invisible on steam

That is when the FAF client started allowing people with steam installed on their machine to report their FAF playtime as scfa playtime

Thanks!

Maybe I am not fully aware of the economic forces behind this franchise, but I cannot imagine there being enough of a market to justify remastering this game.

In some ways you are right, the game is really dead and no one plays it. If you look at the graphs, online SC:FA is equal to online SopCom 2. So why will the publisher remaster SC1 or SC:FA? Why doesn't the publisher make a remaster of SupCom 2? The publisher doesn’t care what you personally like, he needs financial indicators.
Why do you need to make a remaster or sequel for SC1:FA? Why not SC2? Maybe more people are playing SC:FA? No, no more, according to Steam charts: https://steamcharts.com/cmp/9420,40100#All

This post is deleted!