Reset shields

Shields go to 100% faster when they were depleted recently than if they were left at 1%. What if we add a button to drop shields to 0? Or just add this functionality to the shield switch's RMB.

You can just toggle the shields off then on, no?

That doesn't do what he wants too. Hell, they come back at the same HP as they were before the toggle.

A shield refresh button would cause some intense micro.

Maybe just get rid of the bonus when shields are fully depleted? So a fully-depleted shield does not recharge any faster than a shield that got cut down to 1%. Shields are already very strong.

Make it so when a shield goes to 0%, shield strength slowly recovers at the same rate as if it had been taken down to 1%, and also that the shields don't provide any protection (and don't take any damage) until they recover to at least 25%.

Overspill damage doesn't happen with shields, correct?
IE: If a shield had 1 HP, it'll still completely stop a Mavor shell (16,000 damage per shot).

I imagine this would be a significant factor in your idea.
Otherwise, shield micro would be very, very, strong.

Nonetheless, if the idea is balanced properly, then yeah, go for it!
I had always thought that turning off the shield would make it regen quicker -
wasn't until FAF that I discovered that I was wrong.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shield micro is already pretty strong as others have said, before you even go into assisting shield hp with hives or pausing upgrades at 99% to get an instant upgrade and refresh when it hits 100% (Cybran shields can do this 4 times)

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@comradestryker said in Reset shields:

Overspill damage doesn't happen with shields, correct?
IE: If a shield had 1 HP, it'll still completely stop a Mavor shell (16,000 damage per shot).

don't think so

I see many times a shield that is on very low hp getting hit by an overkill shell such as mavor and of course dropping, but also everything below the shield does get damaged by that same impact that took down the shield as well

@zeldafanboy said in Reset shields:

Shield micro is already pretty strong as others have said, before you even go into assisting shield hp with hives or pausing upgrades at 99% to get an instant upgrade and refresh when it hits 100% (Cybran shields can do this 4 times)

I suggest instead removing ability to assist shields (regeneration) because it makes no sense anyways, why can't we assist artillery or pd the same way then? and maybe upgrading shield should keep its original hp instead of jumping to new maximum immediately for free

@comradestryker If a shield has 1hp, then I think it causes the artillery shell to explode when it hits the shield. However, the aoe will damage everything within that shell's aoe.
This means that a 1hp shield can protect some structures beneath it being targeted by the mavor, while others closer to the shell impact can get damaged.

This would be a massive buff to personal shields.

@maudlin27 said in Reset shields:

@comradestryker If a shield has 1hp, then I think it causes the artillery shell to explode when it hits the shield. However, the aoe will damage everything within that shell's aoe.
This means that a 1hp shield can protect some structures beneath it being targeted by the mavor, while others closer to the shell impact can get damaged.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing this up, for me.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@deribus said in Reset shields:

This would be a massive buff to personal shields.

Maybe, but it adds sanity to the game. Otherwise, you sometimes have to attack your own shields or make enemy deplete them.

if it would be a buff to personal shields, then nerf their maximum hp / regeneration speed in return to balance them, this current mechanic itself is nonsensical (shields regenerating faster if completely destroyed, slower if partially damaged), change it so it makes sense (same regeneration speeds) and then balance it once it does, instead of keeping it nonsensical for balance

this is like groundfiring underwater for "balance" all over again

Was the fact that putting your ACU in a transport reset your shield recharge progress ever fixed

So, I couldn't find this new feature. Was expecting it to be on the shield button right-click. Was it only implemented as a function for now?

@melanol 73241d68-749c-46db-a113-866fbf407da4-image.png

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@adastranoob Great. Another hotkey. Like we don't already use the entire keyboard. This game is starting to remind me an airplane simulator.

@melanol it's not unlikely that it gets added as right click on shield for example, it's just that most people / the ones that implemented it would rather have a hotkey than a button they need to press.

@melanol said in Reset shields:

@adastranoob Great. Another hotkey. Like we don't already use the entire keyboard. This game is starting to remind me an airplane simulator.

We're open to introduce it to other places; feel free to make a suggestion in the suggestion channel on Discord or an open an issue on Github about it

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@melanol u can literally just bind it with ctrl+shift together with anything you like. No difference in hitting only shift or ctrl so there's plenty of stuff to be used. E.g. my "select nearest idle airscout" is literally ctrl+shift+t. Is it more difficult then any other hotkey I use? No.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?