Mercy Change - Not ready yet

@spikeynoob said in Mercy Change - Not ready yet:

I agree, non-intuitive changes should be made very carefully and only when no other option is available.

Loyas :imfine:

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@sladow-noob said in Mercy Change - Not ready yet:

I agree, non-intuitive changes should be made very carefully and only when no other option is available.

IMO an added ability is different from straight up adding exceptions in how much damage a weapon does based on the target. I think it works out for the OC cus its a unique weapon, but to add to 1 random other unit is unclear.

cus its a unique weapon

Unlike, say, the mercy.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

@indexlibrorum said in Mercy Change - Not ready yet:

cus its a unique weapon

Unlike, say, the mercy.

You are missing the point. Mercy is a missile supposed to deal damage. So you are always expecting it to deal the same amount of damage no matter what it hits.

Loyas death ability is nothing more than an add on to an already decent unit. A bonus if you will so, that's not necessary for unit to perform it's job properly. After all it's still a decent raiding platform even if you take the EMP away from it and just buff it's damage a little bit.

Meanwhile mercy have one task, blow up and deal damage. It dealing different damage to different units is simply bad design prone to frustrating people and having them drop the game due to useless hidden mechanics.

@FtXCommando It's not part of the key mechanics of the game though. If it's something you'd see each rounds, then I'd completely argue. Taking StarCraft or AoE as an example where literally every unit you use has special / hidden stats.
However if a game only has like 1-3 of these units which also don't have special stats towards literally every other unit (e.g. let's say a multiplier against any arty or tanks or even faction-specific stuff), then I'd say it's definitely an okay-ish thing to do.
If you're referring to complexity, then why did the loyas get that extra ability in the first place? It also just increased complexity and Loyas get used in way more games than mercies. In addition to that I'm 100% sure there were definitely some noobs selecting multiple loyas and then wondering why they just exploded without shooting/killing anything.

Those games are already built upon the fact that there are many different multipliers and strengths when facing different units. FAF is not. There is also the fact that most of those mutipliers are rather obvious in games like total war etc.

Meanwhile making mercy, the snipe missile perfected, deal less damage to the most important snipe target in the game is simply abysmal from the design standpoint. A unit that is supposed to be sniping important targets is not working against the most important target...

Also refer to my other post aimed at Prohibitorum.

I didn't like adding a manual ability to the loyalist. It seemed like a change that was not justified enough. I fail to see the problem in balancing the loyalist where all other solutions are so inferior that it is justified to add a special ability to it. Also you are still using other bandaids to justify more bandaids.

The czar-asf interaction could sneakily pull it off because the beam is doing continuous damage and nobody calculates how much damage it should do to a plane passing through. In fact I think nobody would even notice the special armor if it wasn't mentioned. For big one-time damage people do make calculations how many units they need. So armor changes are super obvious there.

A unit getting an ability is not damage applying differently randomly. Nothing in the rules set out in every other interaction of the game says a unit can’t have an ability. 99% of the game’s interactions say damage is applied uniformly.

OC is not “ok” because it’s a unique weapon. It’s “ok” because OC is what enables your ACU to leave your base beyond t1 stage. Having the game end based on who got to land the first OC and do 15k damage to an ACU is stupid gameplay. Same for ACU nuke doing 10k or whatever damage to another ACU. The exceptions exist because systems like OC or ACU nuke give positive utility that warrant the exception. Making an exception so Aeon gets some jank snipe unit when they already have the best t2 gunship for single entity targets is just not even in the false equivalency ballpark.

@xiaomao said in Mercy Change - Not ready yet:

You are missing the point. Mercy is a missile supposed to deal damage. So you are always expecting it to deal the same amount of damage no matter what it hits.

You missed mine; I was referring to OC: a unique weapon supposed to deal damage but for good reasons nerfed in specific usecases.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

Well, mb then. The post seemed rather sarcastic.

Where were all these snipe unit defenders when beetles were nerfed to what they are now

@mazornoob I wasn't there when it was nerved, but I'd probably have argued against the nerfs.

Units being nerfed into the ground to the point that they are not used anymore is an indication of poor balancing.

See all my projects:

@spikeynoob the shield but is the same for the t2 ary and has been there for years

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

People should learn the difference between nerfed and rebalanced

I'm still waiting for people to realize that beetles are actually great and start using them.

@FtXCommando @SpikeyNoob @Xiaomao

Hearken, noble warriors and valorous souls! Amidst the tumultuous clash and resounding chaos, we, the stalwart defenders of this realm, doth graciously announce our surrender. Behold, for the battle was waged with unyielding fervor, and though our strength may have waned, we bow not in shame, but in the recognition of our worthy adversaries.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Hard to do since theyre bugged since a year ago

Rare image of the loyalist charge ability on the battlefield. Are you ready to face the cybran threat?
editor.png

I like the idea of the initial impact of the new Mercy to have a very short stun, then the AoE doing it's thing. The fact the new Mercy has more HP alone will make it more functional. The Aeon getting an air-based AoE solution is interesting too.

I do wonder if it will be effective enough, or too much. With all suicide weapons, is the cost/time of building it going to be worth the hassle. It only does its trick once.

Make the mercy able to target air units too

@veteranashe Lingering flak AOE. Now that's cool.

See all my projects: