My faf PTSD story

I recently played another RTS game with commander robots.
The rules are there a little bit different, you can lose your com and keep playing until all
com units in your team are dead.

After some minutes my mate lost his com "voice msg: Your team lost a commander" and i got a ugly "PTSD" feeling, then some seconds later i realise, my teammate can still keep playing, i don´t inherite his base, what a relief.

I just play faf for fun and a gg, this is my goal here. Inhereting a teambase was and is
my biggest stress factor in faf, destroying fun and giving me unwanted stress.

The com system maybe fits faf, but in my opinion it´s a stress factor for ppl just wanting
a nice battle and fun.

In tournaments ( or another competive situation ) i´m 100% in favor of the current system, but I don´t want make millions of $ as a faf pro gamer.

My idea -> after a player loses his com he can still keep play for some more seconds.

Could be like this:
20 sec. base + 1 sec for every minute game is running.

The player who lost his com could do/finish a last move or prepare
his heritage. Inheriting player can mental prepare for the new task.

If you like my idea or not, i just wanted share my "PTSD" story 🙂

I honestly quit team games partly due to this. It was happening most games and was always such a chore to pick up the slack. There is an alternate game mode 'supremacy' which allows you to continue if you have engies or factories, but it's not really played. My solution was to play 1v1 instead.

I believe supremacy in unranked, probably why it's not played much.

You just use your ACU as a mobile nuclear bomb to win pushes

That is actually one of the lose conditions I added in AI Wave Survival called Team Assassination. Your team isn't defeated until all commanders are killed. It would be a nice play style alternative to Assassination.

@ftxcommando said in My faf PTSD story:

You just use your ACU as a mobile nuclear bomb to win pushes

Like you can win in 20 seconds a game after your com died.
This could be even less, depends on the game length and settings.

For sure there would be adjustments needed. Maybe the game
needs to run at least 5 min or so.

I´m talking about my suggestion, not supermacy.

I don’t really get how the 20 seconds lower the stress, though. Especially with the added time. At least now you see an explosion and a notification and have the predictable rule of highest rated = gets base. Now you see these big game ux events, and have an arbitrary moment where suddenly you get a whole base. There will be a ton more situations of idle bases and people being stressed because they need to perpetually pay attention to a base they may or may not get in the next 3 seconds.

Timer + the highest player gets still the base.

So some countdown clock now exists on my ui? This doesn’t change anything about me needing to redo orders going on in this guy’s base.

@ftxcommando

Thank you, for your oppinion, i will think about the arguments.

Yes, this delay would be kind of weird, but the stress inhereting a base is real ( at least for me and others ). Then i have no another soultion too.

It breaks immersion to let someone play for 20 seconds but not longer

Who is controlling their army? A ghost? The ghost is being called up to heaven?

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/5739/decapitation-should-be-a-rated-victory-condition?_=1697744827459

The game mode exists as a mod called Decapitation. Don't know whether it ever became ranked though

@arma473 said in My faf PTSD story:

It breaks immersion to let someone play for 20 seconds but not longer

Who is controlling their army? A ghost? The ghost is being called up to heaven?

You never saw these ghost movies where the main character gets time to correct his failures? Let´s call it afterlife mode.

Crazy alternative idea:
gamespeed will be automaticaly reduced ( 30sec 20% gamespeed or something),
then everybody is equally annoyed. Com explosion caused a schockwave slowing down the time.

@angelofd347h said in My faf PTSD story:

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/5739/decapitation-should-be-a-rated-victory-condition?_=1697744827459

The game mode exists as a mod called Decapitation. Don't know whether it ever became ranked though

The intention is that it does become integrated and rated; see also:

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Supremacy might work if there was no ACU explosion or at least it only affected other ACUs.

well that other RTS works fine with coms that you can use as bombs
you can even cloak the com and walk into a firebase to blow it up
then revive your com and repeat
or you can blow your com up next to your base to get a mass boost for fast tech/eco/air raid

so i think it is fine if you can use com as a bomb sometimes
afaik people on steam play with 50000 com explosion dmg (500 or 800 to buildings, 2500 to other coms)

Edit: Oh, actually it works in other RTS cause com has a wreck and leaves decent amount of reclaim... so in case of FAF exploding com in enemy base would be more of a mass delivery

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

Yeah I’d rather not import BAR’s ridiculous gameplay of using your ACU’s reclaim to get faster t3 mex equivalents.

It's always been an idea to let scus act as backup acus - you dont lose until all scus are dead, too - but that would make scus extremely OP and also would render some games as draws, with each side unable to kill all the scus of the other side before more were built.

@funkoff Would require a rework/rebalance of SACUs, but maybe not impossible?

Being able to build a new, more expensive kind of SACU or have a specific unit cap for them might be a way to manage this.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

@SEGAcaretaker I second the suggestion for supremacy, until decapitation makes it into the game proper. It's unrated unfortunately but I managed to get a few games using it, so at least some people aren't completely opposed to playing it. Best host yourself, and remind players that either team can recall at any time once the game stops being fun.