[Forum] Please remove downvote button

It's not meaningless nor is it toxic. Forcing everyone to write posts to each and every post you see on forum that you don't agree with is toxic. Like do we really have to spend time answering bullshit posts every day on balance forums or somewhere else so that we are heard that in fact we do dissaggree with the take of OP?

Like how is the "I don't agree with this post" button toxic to you people? It's literally the same shit but more efficient than having to write stupid response to each and every post. I mean, I can go back to responding to each and every asinine post people write but I'm sure magge and few others will have a few words with me soon enough.

Also, it's mostly stupid out of touch posts that get downvoted. If you will look at the reasonable ones they will often just get stupid amount of upvotes without any downvote.

Not to mention that there's absolutely zero negative consequences for being voted one way or another, unlike on other sites.

@magge said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

I was and still am against the downvote button as well. If someone does not share another poster's opinion, you can simply ignore it and do something else.

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post? Surely this is better than 1. the thread being flooded by 20 people simply saying "i disagree", for every single message they disagree with in that thread, or 2. no information at all

Imo it’s an experiment we should continue for longer at the very least. I do miss the downvote button and its usefulness on other sites that have had it taken it away (YouTube) but that doesn’t mean it’s always a good thing.

@waffelznoob said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

I was and still am against the downvote button as well. If someone does not share another poster's opinion, you can simply ignore it and do something else.

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post? Surely this is better than 1. the thread being flooded by 20 people simply saying "i disagree", for every single message they disagree with in that thread, or 2. no information at all

I mean, didn't we already do that and got threatened with bans for not posting "on topic"? When we made posts saying "I disagree"?

@waffelznoob

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post

Upvote the post expressing disagreement.

@waffelzNoob The underlying issue, the low-effort posts, still stays the same with the downvotes. Those indicate only 'I do not like that', but the explanation is still missing. If someone has not the time to correct a wrong post or to state his own point of view to add meaningful value to a discussion - how does simply downvoting a post solve anything or make it better?

In the worst case it even discourages people from taking part in a meaningful discussion for fear of being downvoted.

If someone sees a low-effort post, he can simply correct the OP and if people think that this is a satisfactory answer, they can upvote it to add more weight to it.

Well, it is a test phase, and I can be wrong, and people will not abuse it in the long run, let us see how it will develop.

I disagree with this post.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@magge The underlying issue, the low-effort posts, still stays the same with the upvotes. Those indicate only 'I like that', but the explanation is still missing. If someone has not the time to add to a post or to state his own point of view to add meaningful value to a discussion - how does simply upvoting a post solve anything or make it better?

In the worst case it even discourages people from taking part in a meaningful discussion for fear of others being upvoted over them.

If someone sees a low-effort post, he can simply downvote it and if people think the OP is bad, they can downvote it to add less weight to it.

Downvoting is toxic now? Are there that many snowflakes who wouldnt handle having their post downvoted by someone, so we must protect them?

If we have upvotes, I dont see a single reason why we shouldnt have downvotes as well. It serves the same purpose, quickly showing how many ppl agree or disagree with your post.
Replies are for everything else.

If you have upvotes, you need downvotes as well. Or else you just get wrong information. Either get rid of voting as a whole or have downvotes as well. Besides, we are not 3 year olds that need to hear that everyone won in the drawing competition.

if somebody serial downvotes my posts I will make smurf accounts to regain my forum rating

In the worst case it even discourages people from taking part in a meaningful discussion for fear of being downvoted.

If they are scared of that they wouldn't even comment in the first place, because someone could write a mean answer

@speed2

I dont see a single reason why we shouldnt have downvotes as well

It takes the entire spectrum of disagreement (from a well written post with well supported points, to a chimpanzee banging a femur bone on an empty oil drum) and compresses them down to a single bit. In the industry* they refer to that as signal degredation.

*Not my industry but, you know, an industry.

Counterpoint to "upvotes are the same thing, but with agreement instead": people love to hate on shit, for free, all day, for its own sake. Expressions of support are more genuine across the board.

We don't need this feature. It's just going to encourage people to downvote posts if they think it has too many upvotes or vice versa. "I wasn't going to downvote that, but it had 6 upvotes, it's a good post but not THAT good, so I took it down a notch." Downvotes don't add anything to the discussion.

At least if you write a "mean" reply to explain why someone is wrong, you put yourself at risk of criticism. Where is the risk to downvoting? It makes it too easy to be negative.

If you want to get rid of downvotes, do the following:

1 - figure out who the FAF admins/moderators are, and just downvote everything they post
2 - downvote all of the good posts

The admins will get sick of seeing "-3" next to all their posts and the voting system itself will become useless when every good post is stuck at 0 or -2

We don't get the forums that we DESERVE, we get the forums that we are willing to TOLERATE. Make injustice intolerable and it will go away.

Or, you know, we could just have a working voting system by being able to both upvote and downvote posts? Why intentionally abuse something that has the potential to have some benefit? This is why we can't have nice things.

Downvotes when used well can give meaningful feedback at a glance, though it remains to be seen if they'll be used well on the forums. So far it has seemed fine in my opinion.

@arma473 said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

If you want to get rid of downvotes, do the following:

1 - figure out who the FAF admins/moderators are, and just downvote everything they post
2 - downvote all of the good posts

The admins will get sick of seeing "-3" next to all their posts and the voting system itself will become useless when every good post is stuck at 0 or -2
We don't get the forums that we DESERVE

That or the admins will get sick of such users and ban them, ironically meaning such users end up getting the forums that they deserve 🙂

If someone writes something I disagree with but makes an effort to explain why he thinks such a thing is good or w/e and makes some actual arguments, then I reply and explain why I disagree.
If someone makes a shit low-effort post that I disagree with then I downvote.
Will some people abuse such a feature? Probably.
Do we need to lose a useful feature like this one because of the few people who will abuse it? I don't think so.

To all of the people who think that somehow this will make people simply use upvote/downvote instead of writing posts to discuss things, voice their disagreements etc. I can't speak for others but in the past, if I disagreed with some low-effort post I simply ignored it or waited for someone else to reply and upvoted their post. Now at least I have a similar low-effort tool to show that I disagree with OP. It won't make me give more feedback, it will simply allow me to show my feedback when I am commuting and don't have time to write well-thought-out responses anyway.

Thanks I found it and downvote accordingly.

If someone doesn't like seeing their posts getting downvote, they really need to reevaluate their life as anything said on the Internet does not matter or affect them.

Stop being part of the problem.