Weekly Discussion #29 - What would you like to see in the game next?

First-person ACU perspective

Subs build underwater mass, hydro, sonar, and reclaim.

I think the long term health of faf as a community would be greatly helped by a system of dealing with laggers. I can only imagine the frustration of new players if their early games all have laggers in them. I'd be surprised if they didn't assume that FAF was not worth playing as a result.
We need a system to enable us, as a community, to flag players that cause issues. Flagged players can then be educated in how to improve their setup or maybe put in a pool of similar players.
It's insane to me that in a 12 player game for example if there is even one lagger then 11 other people have to have their fun spoiled. You just don't get that in real life, you'd move away from such selfish people, whereas in FAF I cannot.

At the very least, as an absolute starting point, if every player (including myself obviously) could see how many times they have been set as FOE that would be eye-opening...!

@cheeseberry said in Weekly Discussion #29 - What would you like to see in the game next?:

How about overlays for units and structures as implemented in e.g. ecomanager and idle-engineers?

Quite a few of the better players use ecomanager purely for the overlays and having a nicer looking version of idle engineers accessible to everyone from the settings menu would certainly be amazing 😄

@Jip asked me to elaborate a bit on what those overlays do, so here we go:

Ecomanager adds a mex-overlay which shows you if a mex is currently being idle or upgrading depending on the color of the overlay:
Screenshot_62.png

Idle Engineers adds a black overlay over idle engies
Screenshot_63.png

and over idle factories
Screenshot_66.png

All three of them are really useful for figuring out a glance what your stuff is doing and where new orders need to be given.

Ecomanager also adds a variety of other overlays, most notably overlays for nukes and smds that tell you how many missiles are loaded and how long it will take to build the next one:
Screenshot_67.png

Both mods actually have more overlay features, e.g. information about the state of something depending on its color, and ecomanager is even able to tell you how many missiles are loaded in your allies smd, somehow. (If both players use ecomanager, anyway.)

As should be obvious the above overlays are not the prettiest, but they are imo very useful and I do think there is quite a bit of potential here.

@serpentor Even Starcraft 1 shows to each player how laggy every other player is to them.

net-lag reduction, idk how. almost never see anyone able to reconnect to the game. Tho sometimes they do reconnect but they already got ejected by like 1 player and then you get 2 players that can never reconnect while the rest are connected and game gets stuck.
Galactic war
Line move

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

Beetles should be able to cross water like rhinos do. Whether or not they should function as depth charges as they crawl over the seabed I'll leave to smarter minds than me.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

"[...] cross water like Rhinos do" - enough FAF forum for today. Smfh everyone getting the trainer-icon these days!

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Not really a big thing but remove acu from select all idle engineers selection. In my 5000 games its never been usefull and always been annoying

There's a separate keybind for select all idle engineers excluding ACU

I got scammed

@sladow-noob said in Weekly Discussion #29 - What would you like to see in the game next?:

"[...] cross water like Rhinos do" - enough FAF forum for today. Smfh everyone getting the trainer-icon these days!

The maths dont lie! Rhinos can swim!

Decoy units and structures.

How about making right click to cancel selected ping instead of doing the same thing left click does? It's pretty painful in the alternative hotkey preset.

@sladow-noob Wagner! I MEAN WAGNER. Don't bully 😞

@thewheelie said in Weekly Discussion #29 - What would you like to see in the game next?:

Not really a big thing but remove acu from select all idle engineers selection. In my 5000 games its never been usefull and always been annoying

A thousand times this.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

@IndexLibrorum My man you can't say "Don't bully 😞" and have the reading comprehension of Helen Keller in the same post.

Weekly Discussion #29 - What would you like to see in the game next?:

There's a separate keybind for select all idle engineers excluding ACU

@deribus I'd like to speak to your manager about bullying please.

Galactic War

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

how about being able to see how many missiles our teammates' smds have loaded and what % they are on, idk if there is already a ui mod for this if anyone knows

also that suggestion to be able to see friendly intel ranges in general

and a suggestion of my own: while you have nuke launcher/submarine selected, it renders ranges of all known enemy smd on the screen, before you say it is op, this is kind of already possible but:

• you have to look at entire map for smds first
  • select a t3 engi (if you have one in first place)
  • place smd over every enemy smd to check its range
  • remember all the ranges you just saw while using a nuke launcher/submarine

and it's not like being able to tell where you can nuke at a glance is some game breaking mechanic, it is something that the game needs more of, convenient ui

possibly equivalent system for tml/tmd selection