Absolver

having the shield disruptor be a Cybran unit seems so much more fitting, although I wouldn't want it to be 'hover' since the faction has none. It could possibly be amphibious with treads though similar to Cybran/UEF engies, so it could help with match ups vs shielded navy

instead the Absolver could potentially be a long range single target stun, say up to t3 units, would still fit the faction and could help with catching retreating units or kiting small groups

I'm concerned about the absolver + trebuchet wombo combo. Absolver would need a massive range nerf to prevent trebuchets from deleting shielded armies

@deribus said in Absolver:

I'm concerned about the absolver + trebuchet wombo combo. Absolver would need a massive range nerf to prevent trebuchets from deleting shielded armies

Meanwhile snipers be like "those ain't the droids you are looking for"

trebuchet pros: large aoe = higher damage potential
trebuchet cons: very inaccurate (severely limiting the damage potential), depreciating damage if not a point blank shot, takes a bit to set up to start shooting/cant shoot while moving, costs more

sniper pros: ~x2 dps compared to treb if single target, can move while shooting(!!!), highly accurate
sniper cons: no aoe, less range but not like that matters because they still outrange all main t3 units by a large margin

treb + absolver is a much less dangerous combo than sniper + absolver + shield. if anything treb + absolver finally gives cybran somewhat of a counter to sniper bots. i don't think absolver would need a nerf if moved to cybran

profile picture credits to petric

If absolver had 5 less range then snipers kill them and their addition is basically pointless except against UEF.

Cybran has no mobile shields, it is infinitely easier to kill their special counter unit with means outside of the land sphere (air mostly) than it is with snipers.

Why not make Loyalist EMP explosions do heavy damage to shields?

@tankenabard your loyalists will get hit by the snipers before they get out a single shot…

FAF Website Developer

@javi Good point.

Adding a shield breaker to the Cybran roster does make sense as a faction flavor, but removes some of the unique fit for purpose nature of the Aeon because someone else has the same tool. The same tool that isn't used very much.

That makes me think, is something wrong with the shield breaker is it currently exists? Lots of questions.

Only becouse Ftx already going to do something to change with cyb, I vote for any - YES.

DONT BELIVE BH HE IS LIEING

Idea. Change the Aeon absolver to have a similar fire rate to the Serenity, instead of 1 shot every 2 seconds make it more like 1 shot every 10 seconds and increase the damage it does to shields accordingly so it has the same DPS.

Theoretical Cybran absolver (Dissolver?), have the 1 shot every 2 seconds of the original Aeon absolver as the high fire rate keeps in line with Cybran trends. No hover, possibly amphibious like a Wagner or Engineer.

Theories of how this could play out?

I would like to pitch in an idea for the name of this new unit - if it makes it in.

The Severance.

Seems like it would fit with the Cybran theme.

290bf673-3484-492c-a168-e9e8ee88cb8b-image.png

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This except it should be called the Xiphos because quite a few Cybran units have Greek names (Zeus, Medusa, Hoplite, Cerberus technically Megalith)

And the Greek named units tend to be high ranged skirmishers for each tech level (T1: Medusa, T2: Cerberus and Hoplite, T4: Megalith)

So a T3 unit named the Xiphos (Greek for a type of short sword) would fill in that gap neatly imo

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

"Gastraphetes" would fit better, in that case.
Or "Hoplite"... but, since Hoplite is already taken...

A "Gastraphetes" was a type of bow used to fire from afar, and since this unit fires from afar...

"Xiphos" is a sword... made for close-range combat.
Cool name for a unit, though.

"Phalanx" would fit, too.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@comradestryker

I feel like that name is a bit too long, but I think Xiphos can still fit because this is an anti shield unit, and a xhiphos was a short sword which meant you could more easily get it around an opponent’s shield than a spear. (Basically the only reason it would be used, swords were always sidearms)

Phalanx sounds a bit generic imo but it’s fine

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

Peltast?

@comradestryker said in Absolver:

"Phalanx" would fit, too.

just fyi phalanx is already a name for UEF tmd weapon

I suggest ballista since trebutchet is already a name for cybran t3 mobile arty, and pretty sure ballista shot would punch right through a shield just like this unit is supposed to do

Where exactly do Cybran names derive from?
They obviously have a root in Greek names, but what else?

I'm thinking mainly because some units have strange names, at least I think so.
IE: Soul Ripper, Mermaid, etc.

And some don't even make the slightest sense to me:
IE: Salem, Brick, Bouncer, etc.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

well bouncer was added by FAF as all t3 mobile aa were, it doesn't exist in vanilla FA

and some names do make no sense but many units (esp. experimental) were named after FA developers, such as mavor, scathis etc, even wagner is named after a developer and it isn't even an experimental for example, so maybe it's from there for some of those too, otherwise idk

The Tagada : Cybran T3 Mobile Shield Disrupter.
😁

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

How about some sort of Greek witch:
Hecate
Circe