Username rules updates

Index already said the backlog was cleared here and I recall a mod saying they can respond to reports in 48 or so hours. Which I can personally verify because I got banned within like 6 hours of a reported game a few weeks ago.

So I don’t really see how anything involving the rename is relevant at all for shitposters/report tickets/etc.

Real question though, Why can you rename yourself anyway? How else are you susposed to identify someone?

@firv said in Username rules updates:

Real question though, Why can you rename yourself anyway? How else are you susposed to identify someone?

Better question, why do you need to identify someone outside of a moderation setting?

@nuggets said in Username rules updates:

Firv said in Username rules updates:

Better question, why do you need to identify someone outside of a moderation setting?

Better question, do i have a level 99 skibidi gyat?

@nuggets said in Username rules updates:

Its nice to know who you are playing with, some people you want to avoid, some people you want to play with more often.

I do this by utilizing the renowned friends list feature

I think that there are technical, social as well as UI/UX aspects to this problem that go way beyond just "what moderation would like to have".

1. Technical

As @BlackYps said, when names are referenced in a tool in any way, the ID for that name should be lookup up and used internally as soon as possible (so if there is a UI form with a name input in the client, the client should resolve the ID right after the user inputs it).

2. Social (recognition)

Members of a social community (which FAF is) want to be able to recognize other members (even after coming back after leaving the community for some months). This is really a basic social need in any community for mainly two reasons:

2.1. Social self-policing

Every well-working social community has some form of fluid social contract between each other. Moderators/bans can and should never police all behaviour that is taking place inside a community.
Instead, the community itself enforces certain standards of behaviour. This happens automatically and is important. It is a major part of the "culture" of any community, and it requires people to be able to remember social misbehaviour of its members, which requires recognizing other player on FAF.

2.2 Social hierarchy

In every community, there is some sort of social hierarchy. In FAF there are two major hierarchies, skill and contribution. Generally, community members want to be able to respect other people inside this hierarchy. This is how legends are born inside a community and also requires recognizing other players.

For example, if a random player joins my 1200 rated games and absolutely destroys me, i will probably not react positively (i got smurfed?!). However if that random player is instead Blackheart, my reaction will be totally different because a legend player just joined my game.

3. Social (self-expression)

However, it is also true that self-expression is a good thing! Popular communities often provide a whole range of customization to how you appear to other people (not just name but usually also additional bits and pieces). Im not going to go into detail here because plenty of people have expressed how important this is to them.

4. UI/UX

The goal should then be to make both possible through UI/UX. And it is important to realize that a player ID is not sufficient to address the recognizability problem. Humans are not good at memorizing a random number per player.

One solution was already mentioned: Fixed player handle and changable player name. In addition

• the player handle must be shown in conjunction to the player name
  • OR it must be trivially easy to look up the player handle for a given playername (for example by showing the handle when hovering with the mouse over a player name)

Another solution is to move the self-expression from the name to some other self-editable part of self-presentation (many games have "titles" or "status text" that is shown under the names of players).

silly billy

@ftxcommando said in Username rules updates:

Your name changes in the friendslist too, so that still doesnt help much

@ftxcommando said in Username rules updates:

Your name changes in the friendslist too, so that still doesnt help much

Pretty easy to glance at friends list, see a name you don't recognize, then right click and figure out who it is. Takes a whole 10s tops and you rarely have to do that unless you have half of faf in your friends list.

Is any actual revision going to happen about the rename interval or are we in the FAF stage where if things get ignored they’re no longer considered a problem

Why so passive aggressive? Just ask for an update 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Because we had a mod say a few weeks ago here that it was a communication mistake to just issue this change on the same day they announced it and now we’re back to having to ask mods about anything actually going on instead of that introspection resulting in a proactive change in keeping people aware of what is happening.

@jip said in Username rules updates:

Why so passive aggressive? Just ask for an update 🙂

We're still discussing the matter internally and will get back with an update when that's concluded. It's a difficult issue and we're taking our time with it to give it the attention it deserves.

Sorry, more soon!

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

In the nicest way.

A difficult issue is the issue of banking and sanctions discussed with the tournament team and that long area of discussion.

This is the ability to update your username....

Ras Boi's save lives.