Get back advanced strategic icon mode that you brocen by last patch

The latest patch broke advanced strategic icons, I only see tiny icons now

How to fix?

@arma473 said in strategic icon:

The latest patch broke advanced strategic icons, I only see tiny icons now

How to fix?

try downald proxy kyro lobby

Will not play untill it fixed

If you want something fixed, I would suggest a bug report rather than being demanding and saying you won't play until it's fixed. Everybody here's a volunteer providing a free service out of passion, you won't get anywhere by being demanding.

This post is deleted!

Advanced Strategic Icons (ASI) will not return using the setup that it did. The same setup can be used to change the lobby. This can be done for good (Kyro's), but also for the worse: using it as an easy attack vector to crash / break the lobbies of other players. And sadly the latter has taken over lately.

We introduced a 'proper way' to change the strategic icons of units through a UI mod. A lot of strategic icon sets emerged that since use this approach. As two recent examples:

At the time we tried to contact the author of ASI to request permission to change the setup of his icons. You can read about it here:

I never received an answer. And until someone does there's nothing we can do 😞 . Luckily there are many alternatives now. Especially the BrewLAN strategic icons have a similar use of colors and size. They're still different of course.

a9f9540a-9520-4b17-b525-7f3688e47d9e-image.png

a7b4bcb6-6bb3-470d-9960-ce586beacdb8-image.png

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Many mods have been enhanced or upgraded by the community over time. Why not just upgrade his mod and give him 100% credit for it? I think almost every mod author would love that the community still uses their work and cares enough to keep it alive, so long as the credit was there. In the unlikely event the mod author said he didn't like it, we could just apologise and take it down.

@nine2 said in strategic icon:

Why not just upgrade his mod and give him 100% credit

He has a copyright tag on his code. It even mentioned that no modifications are allowed without his explicit permission.

It's quite a bummer what some people do.
Some try to help, but others use that help to exploit something else.
It's a shame, really.

I can only hope the Author replies soon.
I quite enjoyed that ASI, and have gotten used to it, so much so, that it feels unnatural to me to use another icon mod, or vanilla icons.

Does anyone know of any other icon mod(s) that are nearly identical to ASI?
Or at least, similar? There are so many out there, and I have only had the time to test out a few, but so far...
they just aren't the same.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@comradestryker said in strategic icon:

I can only hope the Author replies soon.

It's been two years; you can try contacting the author again of course.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@comradestryker said in strategic icon:

Does anyone know of any other icon mod(s) that are nearly identical to ASI?
Or at least, similar?

I would suggest having a look at either the BrewLAN Small or Classic icon sets as they're pretty close to ASI, imo.

Depends on what you mean with similar. I created the mod Reworked Strategic Icons in different sizes to address the issue of too small icons. I also changed the tech markers a bit, so for me the tech level of units is now much more salient than before. Other than that it tries to stay close to the vanilla icons, so if you want additional colors etc, then that is probably not your cup of tea. You can check for yourself here: https://forum.faforever.com/topic/4841/reworked-strategic-icons

Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
But all the suggested options break my eyes.
Are there any options to return to the old strategic icons in any way?

would be nice.

@jip said in strategic icon:

Advanced Strategic Icons (ASI) will not return using the setup that it did.

nice.. well its just the look and feel of the game but hey..

Not really the fault of faf that the mod author specifically forbid any changes or derivative work of his mod

Yeah right that's a totally different story then

Some discussion happening on the discord too fyi: https://discord.com/channels/197033481883222026/1164661950970613841