[Forum] Please remove downvote button

While it is largely meaningless, this addition doesn't really add nothing of value either?

This community can be toxic enough already.

With apologies to whoever added this and thought he was helping (I hope?).

Sorry, I could not resist downvoting. It was too funny

@melanol AHah, no worries, I fully expected that!

I like it. Much easier than having to write a whole post disagreeing.

@deletethis said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

While it is largely meaningless, this addition doesn't really add nothing of value either?

This community can be toxic enough already.

With apologies to whoever added this and thought he was helping (I hope?).

That's what I said. But I was overruled with a "let's just try this for a while and remove if necessary"-approach

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@spikeynoob said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

I like it. Much easier than having to write a whole post disagreeing.

Yeah why bother with arguments or go into constructive details if you can just downvote /s

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

I was and still am against the downvote button as well. If someone does not share another poster's opinion, you can simply ignore it and do something else.

That down-vote feature just brings too much negativity to the table instead of positivity, IMO - and the "meme downvoting" of the first post is another good example of this negative impact.

Where is the downvote button at, I will hit it for this thread

Just because some people can't use the button properly, does everyone else have to suffer from the lack of information?
How about kicking out the people who abuse it and keeping the information for regular users?

It's not meaningless nor is it toxic. Forcing everyone to write posts to each and every post you see on forum that you don't agree with is toxic. Like do we really have to spend time answering bullshit posts every day on balance forums or somewhere else so that we are heard that in fact we do dissaggree with the take of OP?

Like how is the "I don't agree with this post" button toxic to you people? It's literally the same shit but more efficient than having to write stupid response to each and every post. I mean, I can go back to responding to each and every asinine post people write but I'm sure magge and few others will have a few words with me soon enough.

Also, it's mostly stupid out of touch posts that get downvoted. If you will look at the reasonable ones they will often just get stupid amount of upvotes without any downvote.

Not to mention that there's absolutely zero negative consequences for being voted one way or another, unlike on other sites.

@magge said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

I was and still am against the downvote button as well. If someone does not share another poster's opinion, you can simply ignore it and do something else.

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post? Surely this is better than 1. the thread being flooded by 20 people simply saying "i disagree", for every single message they disagree with in that thread, or 2. no information at all

Imo it’s an experiment we should continue for longer at the very least. I do miss the downvote button and its usefulness on other sites that have had it taken it away (YouTube) but that doesn’t mean it’s always a good thing.

@waffelznoob said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

@magge said in [Forum] Please remove downvote button:

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post? Surely this is better than 1. the thread being flooded by 20 people simply saying "i disagree", for every single message they disagree with in that thread, or 2. no information at all

I mean, didn't we already do that and got threatened with bans for not posting "on topic"? When we made posts saying "I disagree"?

@waffelznoob

And then how do we figure out how many people disagree with the post

Upvote the post expressing disagreement.

@waffelzNoob The underlying issue, the low-effort posts, still stays the same with the downvotes. Those indicate only 'I do not like that', but the explanation is still missing. If someone has not the time to correct a wrong post or to state his own point of view to add meaningful value to a discussion - how does simply downvoting a post solve anything or make it better?

In the worst case it even discourages people from taking part in a meaningful discussion for fear of being downvoted.

If someone sees a low-effort post, he can simply correct the OP and if people think that this is a satisfactory answer, they can upvote it to add more weight to it.

Well, it is a test phase, and I can be wrong, and people will not abuse it in the long run, let us see how it will develop.

I disagree with this post.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@magge The underlying issue, the low-effort posts, still stays the same with the upvotes. Those indicate only 'I like that', but the explanation is still missing. If someone has not the time to add to a post or to state his own point of view to add meaningful value to a discussion - how does simply upvoting a post solve anything or make it better?

In the worst case it even discourages people from taking part in a meaningful discussion for fear of others being upvoted over them.

If someone sees a low-effort post, he can simply downvote it and if people think the OP is bad, they can downvote it to add less weight to it.

Downvoting is toxic now? Are there that many snowflakes who wouldnt handle having their post downvoted by someone, so we must protect them?

If we have upvotes, I dont see a single reason why we shouldnt have downvotes as well. It serves the same purpose, quickly showing how many ppl agree or disagree with your post.
Replies are for everything else.