Patch 3721 / hotfix 3722 / hotfix 3723 / Patch 3724

@arran said in Patch 3721 / hotfix 3722 / hotfix 3723:

@Jip. Like your Added feature : preselection of mex when selection engineer and hovering the cursor over a mass spot.
One suggestion. If the option "Highest tech" is selected and the mexus is T3, can it also automatically ring it? Small quality of life improvement.

That was made by KionX, and I like your suggestion to 'complete' the feature. But not sure if it is possible yet, but we can look at it.

Can you make an issue about it here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues/new

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@archsimkat said in Patch 3721 / hotfix 3722 / hotfix 3723:

preselection of mex when selection engineer and hovering the cursor over a mass spot

What is the point of this feature? I don't recall ever seeing any community desire for such a feature and it just seems like an extra feature you have to turn off.

For players that use keys for everything there is probably little reason to have it. But for players that do not, the majority of us, they can now click and go.

Besides that, ask keyser and kionx.

I think in general a feature should require some amount of justification before being added. Right now the options menu is very heavily loaded with a ton of features that's even overwhelming to me when I open it. Imagine a new player opening the options menu and trying to figure out what everything means; it's quite the task.

I don't really have any particular issue with this specific feature, but I feel like the bar for adding an option to the stock version of FAF should be a bit higher than "a dev implemented it, so it's in". Is there any restriction to prevent feature bloat that I am not aware of?

I also agree with Arch on this. It's a cool idea that some people like, but a others find it annoying and it does add even more clutter to the already large list of sometimes unclear options in the game settings, especially for new players. It's a nice feature that I don't have an issue with it's just a bit out of the blue. This feels like a UI mod rather than a core game feature imo, and if we're adding this why not add advanced target priorities to core FAF? I don't want to open a can of worms here, but in terms of feature creep why does this make it in but not something like the target priorities mod which, again imo, is a pretty important mod that has significant in game benefits for players of all levels?

are we back to the old meme "developers playground" ? Been too long since I heard it.

btw you are always allowed to take a look at how thing are being discussed in the PR, like the one we are actually talking about : https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/3292

I think it showcase well, that we aren't blindly adding option and feature "just for the sake of it". The same discussion happen in a lot of other PR, to decide whether or not it will be included.

"if we're adding this why not add advanced target priorities to core FAF?" It was ruled out by the previous game councillor, not to make the game to hard to understand for new players. But if you think it should be in, you are fully welcome to make a PR, and we will discuss if it's worth it of being integrated 🙂

Hey Jip
I've been tracking down a sim freeze today trying to figure out if it was my AI causing it or not. But it looks like its not. This freeze didn't previously happen before the patch and I only see it happen on the fields of isis map (I assume its related to whatever conditions are met by that style of map) I ran about 30 odd test today and this particular map had it happen probably 4 out of 15 games with other maps not having it happen at all.
Unfortunately the log show absolutely nothing out of ordinary, looks like a normal game up until it isn't, the sim doesn't log anything afterwards, you still get info messages e.g minimized game etc.

As far as symptoms go the sim will freeze but the UI is still running happily, you can still hover over buildings etc. No errors, no nothing.

If you want to reproduce I think the best method is to use uveso's rush AI and setup a 2v2 on it then run it at 10 speed. His AI seems to make it happen more often, which could be related to the unit production numbers it does, but it also happens with others where it didn't previously. In the times I saw it, the freeze would happen between 20-50 mins of game time.

@toontrack What needs to be fixed?

@archsimkat @Exselsior There really aren't that many options (only 14 now in Gameplay) and they are all explained when you hover over it. A single option that is not hard to understand being added is not a problem, especially since it's just a small QoL feature.

@relentless said in Patch 3721 / hotfix 3722 / hotfix 3723:

Hey Jip
I've been tracking down a sim freeze today trying to figure out if it was my AI causing it or not. But it looks like its not. This freeze didn't previously happen before the patch and I only see it happen on the fields of isis map (I assume its related to whatever conditions are met by that style of map) I ran about 30 odd test today and this particular map had it happen probably 4 out of 15 games with other maps not having it happen at all.
Unfortunately the log show absolutely nothing out of ordinary, looks like a normal game up until it isn't, the sim doesn't log anything afterwards, you still get info messages e.g minimized game etc.

As far as symptoms go the sim will freeze but the UI is still running happily, you can still hover over buildings etc. No errors, no nothing.

If you want to reproduce I think the best method is to use uveso's rush AI and setup a 2v2 on it then run it at 10 speed. His AI seems to make it happen more often, which could be related to the unit production numbers it does, but it also happens with others where it didn't previously. In the times I saw it, the freeze would happen between 20-50 mins of game time.

What you describe sounds like a dead loop - this can happen if a forked thread doesn't yield properly while being in an infinite statement and therefore takes up all the time of the sim indefinitely. Only question that remains is what causes it.

I'll see if I can reproduce it - sadly, as you mentioned without any form of errors or logs it becomes guess work as to where it is. Do you use the latest version of Uveso from the vault or his version on Github?

@femtozetta I cant see any of the resource icons , i cant seem to sort it out

@jip The map was Ultimate_you_shall_not_pass_10 40x40. 5 AI vs 5 players. approximately 2 into the game we get a critical error and freezes. You can hear the game play by nothing is moving. We can all still chat over discord but everyone been frozen. Played different maps and same issue. It shows some Java debug issue if i can remember from my log I sent before. Let me know if you need more info but it happened after the new patch. Thank you for all you do and the support you provide.

@P64444 Anything java related is not related to why the game freezes. The client is in Java, the game is in C / C++ / Lua. We need the information from the game, including the information of the debugger (opens after the game crashes) and the game log!

Also - 40x40 on FAF? 🙂

Patch 3724 is out - this should fix a lot of the issues people have been experiencing. See the original post for more information.

Thanks.

Custom game freezes randomly @FAF Develop v3724

game_15472828.log

crash.txt

I can see why - there is a projectile that is crashing on impact, causing the event to happen again. I recommend you to play without mods for now.

@archsimkat said in Patch 3721 / hotfix 3722 / hotfix 3723 / Patch 3724:

@arran FAF added the basic functionality where you can just assist a T2/T3 mex to automatically queue up the ring of storage. Basically, just double click a T2 mex to ring it.

@archsimkat Could you please explain this?
If i doublelcik the mex, all mexes are selected on screen.
if I doubleclick the upgrade button, it grades up tp tech3.

Select an engie, press shift and double click on a mex ->the engie will build mass storages around the mex. This feature can be enabled/disabled in the options menu ingame.

@amygdala
Thank you, but for me, and I found it out just now, it works as follows:
select an engie, press shift, and click once the right mouse button.

I hope you do not mind when I ask another question:

I found out how to use the "spread attack" button again.

but:

• wasn't there a function called "split group"?

When i had a large group I could split it in two, all units evenly divided.
if I remember correctly.

Just as useful as the "Tab"-Function, that shifts through sea, air and land classes..

Answer: It is a Mod: Group split.

• how do I increase the spacing of build templates?

And while I am at it: is there a place where all this features are listed?
Where is an explanation of the hotbuild preset and the alternative one.
It is not that easy to find.
You know, such stuff should be written somewhere for all those that start playing this game and for all that stopped playing for a while.

Thanks for all of your energy and the great updated options!