Why would you have left FAF?

Step 1: Stupid post

Step 2: Attack them so they reply

Step 3: "Gee man that's a whole lotta posts, why don't you just quit?"

I swear it's like you guys want the game to be even more dead than it already is. It was a stupid post, I get it, you can stop now.

I'm with Red here, it is getting a bit personal. I understand both sides, because a high rating simply looks scary and ppl wil automatically play different until they realise it's e.g. Gap or Astro rating and doesn't say anything. For the ones who know it it's obvious.
But don't forget that type of input is exactly what we do want here / what the thread is about to notice further flaws or in general problems in the system, even though this specific one is none of them.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@sladow-noob said in Why would you have left FAF?:

even though this specific one is none of them.

I mean it still is a problem though?
The problem is just not that their rating should be different, but that it's hard to tell how accurate their global rating is, for the current gamemode.

Maybe as was suggested display percentages for most played maps in player profiles? So you know on which maps you can expect the most from this player and on which maps he isn't strong.

Or maybe add more matchmaker queues for the most popular played gamemodes / maps? (astro, dual gap, setons)
To 1. get them a seperate rating and 2. bring more people from custom games to the matchmaker, where they don't have to commit to either sitting in an astro or 3v3 lobby, but can instead queue both and see which fills faster.

redx said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Step 1: Stupid post

Step 2: Attack them so they reply

Step 3: "Gee man that's a whole lotta posts, why don't you just quit?"

I swear it's like you guys want the game to be even more dead than it already is. It was a stupid post, I get it, you can stop now.

my fault, i misread the situation. my apologies for the harassment

I’ve been playing for a long time, and tried to bring friends. However, the story always ended with the fact that a person could not overcome the barrier of complexity of entry and the jungle of the interface.
This game needs some kind of sandbox for newbies, where they could get help in mastering the interface and game mechanics.

@test777 said in Why would you have left FAF?:

This game needs some kind of sandbox for newbies, where they could get help in mastering the interface and game mechanics.

Did your friends try playing all of the story missions from the base game (in the coop tab, all of the missions with a faction logo next to them) starting on easy mode and then medium and then hard mode? That's the closest thing we have to teaching interface and game mechanics.

There is a general consensus that it would be nice if we had more custom missions designed like story missions but intended to teach more lessons (the story missions primarily teach how to use units, they don't teach things like how to take reclaim, the importance of scouting/raiding, being aggressive) that it would be a good thing. BUT it's just too much work, we don't have enough skilled volunteers to make story missions to teach fundamentals of competitive gameplay.

@nex That's why the gamemode exists though. You simply can't tell which global rating is real and which is inflated, I fully agree, but since MatchMaker is quite old the queue-ratings are mostly accurate. There I don't think there is a problem with it, not to mention it gets over time cuz nearly everyone will eventually play.

Also for the played maps you can just look into their replay. Put it on showing 200 at once, scroll down and you alrdy know everything you need to know.

@test777 I do agree. FAF is like the hardest RTS to learn that I know of and it takes months for newbies in the RTS-genre to just get decent basics. The trainer team is doing their best when someone wants to learn the best and most suggest the fitting things (e.g. AI, Campaigns, maybe even survival just for fun etc.). I sadly do think though that we cannot make it even easier. There was a guide tab in the client with tutorials to play but it basically never got used.

If you have suggestions of how we can fix that or if you want to elaborate the idea of "sandbox for newbies" more, feel free to DM me via Discord. So far MatchMaker is a nice place for newbies since they can't get kicked, but I have to admit the first 5 games are rough due to the balance.

I believe that losing games won due to constant disconnections from your teammates is a more than valid reason to leave this game. Embarrassing. Imagine losing 7 games in a row because one or more of your teammates crashed or left the game or had a disconnection problem and couldn't reconnect. Last game in dual gap (since apparently, people only play that map): sniping 2 ACU (a mid and the opponent's echo). My mid have a crash. My team's air bot gets nervous and leaves the game. My echo leaves the match. One of my 2 mids, have a crash. My navy, have a crash. Game lost. Really funny. Then you see people with 300-500 ratings playing like a 1200 rating and you understand. I don't want to say, but the project has been operational for more than 10 years and doesn't have a disconnect recovery method? Seriously? How the fuck can you have fun if you stomp your opponents and suddenly your entire team disconnects? The game itself is also beautiful, but managed in such a shitty way that I would prefer to play 3 consecutive runs of Gollum.

The game does have a disconnect recovery method, it's just currently broken. Devs were working on it until they had to urgently move to DDoS mitigation.

I just want newer players (or older ones that forgot) to know that ICE used to allow people to reconnect (fairly) reliably and that a new version of ICE is being developed-but because of malicious third parties work on that is being delayed.

Because it is an addiction.

The Honorable Recall

@fiercelv At least it doesn't use any of the predatory marketing tactics, like dailies, loot boxes. Well, there is that pathetic attempt at achievements, but no one cares about them.

@wainan Getting your butt whipped enough should be a call to the senses of any player who likes to win, and he should change his strategy. Watch and study the replay asking certain questions as to what was done, what were the consequences, why the winning player won (and why the losing player lost). This is the only way to improve. If players do this they will improve the most. That requires critical thinking skill and impulses to employ it for this purpose. That's the type of player who should learn to watch and analyze replays.

Example: Player likes to jump to t2 for whatever reason, and undervalues t1 units. This player is a lot like the chess player who undervalues pawns or certain pieces. He should learn the many ways t1 is underestimated by reviewing games where the winning opponent whipped his teching aspirations with t1 "spam".

Example: Player likes to turtle up and eschews map control (usually until he can overwhelm with tech superiority). Now it is a turtle match, and he should review how such a strategy can work or be broken in his own games until he learns to defeat it, or even to improve it (I've seen it work when done just right against the right opponent, or under the right circumstances). He'll be humiliated by the turtle until he learns how to crack it. Watching a replay where he learned what was strong about the turtle (his shell) and where he was weak (trapped in that shell) w

Many more examples of what to notice in one's games and the way to approach replay study. Also many players don't watch casts attentively so as to learn from them. Watch a cast with an active mind. They should play plenty of 1v1 matches also. That forces you to take all responsibility, cover all contingencies, command all types of units in all battlespaces. That's where the true skill lies anyway. When beaten, study the opponent's play and learn what he did right, and conversely ask what one could have done better. Did he take over the map? Did I notice or did I lack intel? I have done this enough that I don't even need to replay certain types of games (win or lose) because I can say outright what happened. I see proof of this when I play the same opponent again, I correct my deficit, and I do better and I can tell it is for that reason I ascertained (someone is active around the map, I have early t2 radar, I am doing better, what a surprise).

All this hand-holding stuff is out of question for long-term growth. It's the wrong focus. This is an academy of warriors. But for the casual gamer, decent guides and some webspace devoted to their issues and play interests would be good. But the cutoff from someone who is purely a casual to a true enjoyer of battle is too sharp to overcome with rose petals. ==

Here's a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2KbEQAzuN8
Here's a good website:
https://supcom.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Strategies
There is plenty more where that came from.
If a player can't benefit from things like this, then they are outside of the Mystery of the Infinite War. If they are within the Mystery of the Infinite War, then this won't be enough. Their thirst for victory and their rancor at defeat will be their guide to further improvement.

This guy, The Green Squier [sic] is a great example of good tutorials that are on youboob these days. his link as follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c-tUPtIfgs

Here's a good one from the same author:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzYdv1S5XLk

You are using a client in Java environment in year 2024 and are you surprised that users leave or don't even try to start? Be serious.

This thread needs closed as it has went wildly off course and has long since served its purpose

I find that the answer to why someone would stop something overlaps with the answer to another question: What is missing that, if present, would make it more enjoyable? One thing that is missing is the achievements board on the personal profile. It is even worse that it shows but also doesn't function, as I can imagine a lot of them would have lit up by now just from my recent two months back after a 9 year hiatus. I can imagine that if my crusty and bloodyminded self could like it then a kid or any adult with an even sweeter temperament and even more sensation-craving child or any adult novice would drool over it a lot more with that function working. The fact that seeing it not working pains me as much as it does tells me that a lot of people who have left, might have stayed, if only that worked. Focus more on QoL changes as well and you will see expansion. Remember, in FAF world, expansion is essential. Even if we can't expand numerically and "control more of the map" as far as people joining go, we can keep more and make the turtle stronger by enhancing the quality it has for those who, after even 9 years, never really left. That's an aesthetic thing, but think about all the aesthetics that go into the game, and which were there in some ways at the TA stage, and have only gotten better. Aesthetics is desirable not only in the game content, but also in the experience of interfacing with the gaming platform. You have to put more life into it to give it more life in this way. So fix that eyesore and I bet you'll see improvements in retention and joinership.

P.S. If you guys ever actually DO fix it (fingers crossed, the world is in hunger games mode, but just dangle the right carrot in front of the right NEET and even he'll probably do it for some choice compliments and a digital or electronic item), PLEASE make it as retroactive possible! Have it run a tally of all games already on record and use all their data to update profiles so everyone can enjoy the benefit. It takes time, and people can wait (they're already waiting whether they know it or not), but it happens sooner the sooner it gets done. Imagine over time growing a plant. You water it a little every day. Demonstrate your... affinity with the game, with gamesmanship, and with the spirit of bloodsport itself by bestowing trophies for excellence and determination, and you will see more people desiring to achieve it within the game, and more people who already do doing it more.

I look at it this way. Your intuition to include it in the first place was either well to the purpose or not. If not, why was it done in the first place? If it was, then the motive to do it to completion is manifest in proportion to the difficulty of the work. Maybe....

Have a fundraiser for it...

"Do you want this fixed? Donate the needed funds for me to take time away from other things and get it done."
And if the people here want it, they get it that way. That's crowdsourcing. So croudsource it.

@fiercelv said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Because it is an addiction.

I am totally addicted to Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance (Forever).

Seriously, quitting FAF is hard.

The Honorable Recall