What is going on with FAF?

@melanol said in What is going on with FAF?:

@tankenabard Interesting. I am in Russia, and I have these problems. What if only relays close to Russia are under attack?

Anecdotal experience, I feel like most of my issues are in games with Russians.

@snoog Because they happen to use these relays?

Game is fucking unplayable.

@DonDraper Skill issue.

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Oh really its a skill issue when

1/5 of games lag so bad they end up with drops causing a desynch condition

1/4 of games are DOA because someone disconnects on launch...

1/2 of games are lagging so bad that someone drops in the first 10 minutes wrecking the experience for all or worse, refuses to leave when identified as the lagger and can't be voted out and the game drags on until they end up desynching.

75% of games end up being a fucking RE for one of these reasons and there doesn't appear to be jack shit being done or able to be done because this community isn't innovating to fix it and we're all told if you wanna fix it, fix it yourself.

Def skill issue.

Meanwhile if this keeps up this will be the last year FAF is around because the playerbase wont grow or stick around.

Play dual gap as a 4v4 and these problems halve themselves or more.

Is there 3rd party infrastructure or hosting we could use to reduce DDOS?

A web service is not the same as FAF, but maybe the same practice of using a WAF could be used.
Could we pay to host servers on cloudfare or similar?
Could we increase the number of servers to reduce DDOS?
Could we ride on some other network layer which has protections?

Please don't feel anyone should answer these directly, they are more rhetroical, uninformed ideas. My point is if we can solve this by using other available technologies.

@defiant said in What is going on with FAF?:

Is there 3rd party infrastructure or hosting we could use to reduce DDOS?

This is what we added when we introduced the "global" coturn.
But it doesn't seem to have the resounding effect we were hoping for.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@brutus5000 said in What is going on with FAF?:

This is what we added when we introduced the "global" coturn.
But it doesn't seem to have the resounding effect we were hoping for.

Could the issue with the Global Coturn server be that the other Coturn servers (Germany 1, Finland, US East & any others that I just can't see) are still online & selectable in the client, so not everybody is using only the Global Coturn which would result in the evaluation of the performance of using that 3rd party provider solution not being measured accurately?

Should all Coturn servers except the Global one be shutdown while the DDOS attacks are still ongoing so that only the Global one with the added protection can be used?

We did try that for a bit but the bandwidth costs started to explode in unexpected ways so we turned the others back on.

😞

CALL THE FBI AND REPORT THE DDOS. GET SOME FUCKING HELP FROM MICROSOFT. DO FUCKING SOMETHING!

@dondraper My man, it looks like they are doings things, it just hasn't worked out quite like they wanted it to.

What exactly do you expect the FBI or Microsoft to do for DDoS attacks against a game like this? I love FAF, but it's not like its critical infrastructure. I'm sure they're doing their best with the tools and resources at their disposal.

Umm I'm sure FBI has better things to do than combating DDOS attacks on ancient multiplayer game (played by a couple of thousand people at best) based in foreign (non-US) country being attacked by actors likely from another foreign country.

@supernova16 What it looks like is its been 9-12 months of the SSDD approach. Why not try rolling back to a build from 2 years ago. Why not try scrapping the connection system taht crutches some players who cant see each other?

Scrapping the Internet? That's a bold suggestion

Well, I am officially tired of disconnects and moving to other games

@dondraper

What have you done to help, mr. angry man?

Don't you know shouting at people gets things done...

@stormlantern Better to be angry and see a solution eventually than pensive and putting up with this horseshit for the better part of the year since I was banned a good SIX FUCKING MONTHS came back and the situation is worse than it was. So please blame it on me.