Developers Iteration III of 2023

@zhanghm18 said in Developers Iteration III of 2023:

Questions about the new map generator: I prefer maps like "heaven reaf" which are dark in color and have more reflective water. But there is no color option in the generator. How should I set up to generate a dark map?

The map generator has nothing to do with this discussion as it's not part of the game, but part of the client. That said, any questions regarding the map generator should be asked in the Mapping section: https://forum.faforever.com/category/12/mapping

In addition, how can the newly generated map be permanently saved? After I turned off FAF, the generated map seemed to be automatically deleted.

Yes, generated maps are auto-deleted when you close the FAF client. To save the map, you'll need to either move the folder of the generated map to a safe place & copy it back each time you start the client or copy the name of the generated map & paste it somewhere safe, then when you want to play it again, copy that name & paste it into the Map Name field of the map generator.

@mostlostnoob Ok, I'll create a new post in the map section

We're now working on making the map generator support the new shaders, in particular BlackYps and Sheikah are working on that. You can see it here:

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Thank you again for the great features. You are great 🙂

Thank you, this is great stuff!

I've updated the post with the changelog to include a changelog for the hotfix to be released next Saturday.

For those that are reading this but remain silent, I encourage you to provide feedback on the patch(es). Either through Discord or the forums works fine. We're always open to feedback and we'll try to fix bugs that you may encounter.

For mobile factories, would it be possible to:

1. Populate the construction queue UI of the parent unit with the child factory.
  2. Shunt any orders given via that queue to the child factory (including repeat build etc.)
  3. Remove all the child factory selection bone-throwing, and have it be a silent attachment.

Child factories for carriers already pass the units they create back to the parent, so there's some linking between them?

The engine is not made to pass orders to arbitrary units. It only works for units that are currently in your selection. We'd need to hack in suggestions (1) and (2) through construction.lua and that is a file that is, uuhh - not friendly towards developers. The fact that it (the file) even works at this point is a miracle.

Child factories for carriers already pass the units they create back to the parent, so there's some linking between them?

This is in the sim, where the external factory unit passes the events to the main unit. That triggers the animations and effects and cleans them up again.

I assume that with (3) you want the factory unit to become unselectable. If that is so, then you'd also remove the ability to set rally points.

The hotfix is released and the capping behavior is restored to (almost) the old set of features. Make sure to check the game options, they're now split out in separate options. You can read up about it on Github

Might be me but the latest changes seem more than annoying and breaks the game play. Units like the tempest being able to be construction units, the game has always allowed and had them, why fix, change or break it now? Other notable change the unit hover to build mass extractors and hydro, and the latest removal double clicking an engineer on a mass to get storage around it. Can understand the problems with the "hover" ability but not for the dblclick to place storage. Could be wrong but thought the release notes mentioned fixes for game stability... How about not messing with the game and put it back to the original... The game got popular and i never remember having as many crashes and desyns as it appears there are now a days...

@zoodoo4u said in Developers Iteration III of 2023:

and the latest removal double clicking an engineer on a mass to get storage around it.

Please check the game options, as mentioned in the changelog. They're all there. But now fully customizable, to your liking:

63612142-5c40-4419-84ae-d1ed3ae1968a-image.png

Might be me but the latest changes seem more than annoying and breaks the game play. Units like the tempest being able to be construction units, the game has always allowed and had them, why fix, change or break it now?

What is broken about this? The community wanted proper functioning mobile factories, and now they have them.

How about not messing with the game and put it back to the original... The game got popular and i never remember having as many crashes and desyns as it appears there are now a days...

Desyncs are not related to patches, but likely due to (sim) mods being out of sync. If you experience a crash then please enable the FAF Debugger:

61103f90-effc-4213-a520-27868c71f3ae-image.png

And report back with your logs. Personally my game never crashes, and I know that it is the same for many others. The most common culprit for game crashes is sound errors. When you share your game logs then maybe we can find out why your game crashes so often 🙂

How about not messing with the game and put it back to the original...

Which original? The t1 mass fab farmer gameplay of supcom, the t1 transport com bomb gameplay of steam fa, or the litany of things such as -10 asf fights/invulnerable ACU exploits/resource generation exploits in preceding FAF versions?

We should allow com napping

@jip

As an intermediate thought, what about a button to select the child factory (like pod platforms have)? Would that solve (what I assume) is the problem with the Czar/Tempest, where there's not a good place to put the factory at the "back" of the unit?

I tried to implement that, but to no avail. Not sure why the implementation of the pods work, and not sure why mine did not work

edit: missed your second sentence.

Tempest does have a separate factory unit at the back. CZAR doesn't have a back or front, and you're right - that is why it doesn't have it at the moment.

Czar has a center

Imagine clicking at the center of a Czar and not selecting the unit to move😆

Imagine clicking the back of the Fatboy and it doesn't move

Another hotfix is released. It primarily fixes how beam weapons interact with tech 1 and tech 2 naval units. You can learn more about it on Github

when will the pbr shaders be released?