What is the biggest issue that plagues FAF in your opinion?

Sounding like an echo chamber in here, but I'll also chime in and say that I've tried to play I think 2 or 3 times over the past couple weeks, and I each time I'd join a lobby and not be able to connect to people that I've never had a connection issue with before. I didn't have a huge amount of time so I just kinda gave up after one or two retries and did something other than FAF.

That & the relatively sad state of affairs for the quality of Setons games at the times I usually can play. Not sure if there are decent general 1800+ team games being hosted these days, if so they're not (usually) at times I can play.

Edit: A random comment/thought, I am a bit surprised at the number of people having client issues. I know this is a classic "works on my machine" comment, but I've never really had issues of note with the FAF client over the years. I think there was a time where the window was buggy and could only be full screened or something like that but that was quite a while back and not something I heard other people complain about.

I've long wanted a built in system to allow players to share their ratings of other players, to enable them to see in the lobby players with a genuine history of lag/dc/bad cpu/toxicity. All it takes is one bad player to ruin the game for 11 or 15 others. Rooting out these negative players is very important to the health of faf imho.

You have said system and you might have just unintentionally poisoned a couple hundred people over the last 3 weeks of faf connection issues.

@ftxcommando said in What is the biggest issue that plagues FAF in your opinion?:

You have said system and you might have just unintentionally poisoned a couple hundred people over the last 3 weeks of faf connection issues.

😞

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

@thecodemander said in What is the biggest issue that plagues FAF in your opinion?:

Theres also a culture of denial when it comes to technical issues.

Anything but. I see a lot of talk on Zulip and work being done to improve connectivity, FAF has a lot more infrastructure than it looks like and just maintaining it is a big task.

Lack of cope in my ranked and tmm games.

Analyze, Adapt, Overcome...

@mazornoob Timely post seeing as we have the first post today from azrael.

If people want to pretend there are no issues when there are dozens of client crashes, hangs and bugs experienced every day in VC, games not launching about 30% of the time thats fine.

Maybe its all being worked on really hard on zulip, I wouldnt know because aside from you and one person mentioning a zulip in passing, it is written nowhere where people are supposed to be informed.

@mazornoob Jip has brought this up before as well, and the response at the time was "What's a Zulip?".

This points back to my comment about lack of communication between playerbase and devteams, but given that Azrael has commited to improving this, this issue might be solved in the future.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

I don't feel like playing.

I think the game is great and it’s not a given that we still have the opportunity to play this game today. Sure, there are phases when the game runs better or worse, but what’s important is that there are people who have made an effort and keep FAF running again and again. I think we should be a little more modest and grateful that we still have the opportunity to play this great game. I think we’re just too spoiled today. It may be that there is currently a lull at FAF, but there have always been hype phases so don’t worry and check back every now and then and don’t take everything so seriously!

@thecodemander said in What is the biggest issue that plagues FAF in your opinion?:

@mazornoob Timely post seeing as we have the first post today from azrael.

If people want to pretend there are no issues when there are dozens of client crashes, hangs and bugs experienced every day in VC, games not launching about 30% of the time thats fine.

Maybe its all being worked on really hard on zulip, I wouldnt know because aside from you and one person mentioning a zulip in passing, it is written nowhere where people are supposed to be informed.

while I understand your frustrations, I want to assure you that Developers are working extremely hard on improving the client constantly.
I'd like to point towards Github & Developer Discussions on the Main FAF Discord.
I'd also like to point out that I do plan on doing dev logs this month as well.

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

@j0hn I agree we're lucky to have FAF and keep playing the game.

When its "this is a hard technical problem, not much we can do, its hard" jank I'm down with that. The in game disconnects being every game a few weeks back was pretty lame but that was understandable.

The client chugging back gigabyte of ram, not launching games, crashing, hanging, needing to be relaunched 4 times a day because it just sort of bugged out etc. Thats not a hard technical problem, thats a client sucks problem.

And while I'd agree we should appreciate what we have, the current client deprecated a far more robust client for basically no reason. And even within the new client, older versions were more stable. Can we run older versions? No, because theres a "you must have version <x> or later lockout".

Thats not FAF running into hard problems, thats a "client sucks" problem and a "we require you to use this specific sucky client" problem which is a choice.

People keep complaining about the client crashing but when I ask specifically for logs or for people to post bug reports. I never get any back so there is very little I can do.

The client seems to be stable for most people. At least we haven't heard of frequent crashes. If you are just malding in your corner about the shit client without telling anyone, then the situation will not improve.
The old client got deprecated because literally nobody was working on it.
The mandatory version increments only happen when we do a breaking change. Then the old versions would not work correctly anymore, so it is better to deny even starting an incompatible client.

@sheikah If I sent you logs every time client malfunctions, I'm pretty sure I'd get banned for spamming.

Edit: The most repeatable screwup behaviour I have right now is it outright hanging. Especially when trying to close the thing. Only way to get it to go away is pkill -9 java

As I said above if you are not able to make reasonable bug reports from when something happened then there is very little I can do.

@sheikah The lack of reproducibility in the weird issues will likely continue to make that less than practicable.

So what is your solution? Continuing to bitch on the forum?

@blackyps Let me guess youd prefer people to what was it, quietly mald?

I'd prefer you to actually contribute to a solution by submitting proper bug reports