Minimum specifications for Forged Alliance Forever

even ryzen 5 3600 runs FAF fine (133 score), still using it and almost never lag, and definitely never the first to lag

I'm currently unable to use my gaming PC (not that that would be an improvement, the thing is 10 years old) and have been playing for about half a year on my surface pro 7.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz, integrated graphics.
RAM: 8GB

FAF runs, but I'm running it at a much lower resolution than what my screen would natively run at. All settings are medium or low to further squeeze out any performance.
Games with up to 8 people usually work fine, anything more than that and it becomes iffy. Larger maps with 12 players means I'll be at -4 simspeed after the first hour.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

@blodir these numbers are for a PC, not a laptop.

Forumpros doing balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTcguJZh3A .
When a canis player remembers to build more than 3 units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjp8xJHuyA .

@thecore I'll keep that in mind. I happen to have the Crucial I listed for quite some time now and it has always been good.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

You don't need to buy a new PC to run FAF it worked fine 10 years ago on a Core2 Duo E8400. That was the top CPU back then, you can but second hand systems from 10 years ago for 200ā‚¬.

Just don't use the cheap series. Stay away from Atom, Celeron, Pentium, i3 and Athlon and you should be good...?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 said in Minimum specifications for Forged Alliance Forever:

You don't need to buy a new PC to run FAF it worked fine 10 years ago on a Core2 Duo E8400. That was the top CPU back then, you can but second hand systems from 10 years ago for 200ā‚¬.

Just don't use the cheap series. Stay away from Atom, Celeron, Pentium, i3 and Athlon and you should be good...?

This is correct
1 Don't have a potato for a PC
2 Don't have failing hardware
3 Don't have a corrupt OS
4 Don't use 2 cans and a piece of string to connect to the internet

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!

The whole point of this thread is to define what "potato PC" means for playing faf

"Minimum specifications for Forged Alliance Forever" - open game.prefs... šŸ™‚

@blackyps said in Minimum specifications for Forged Alliance Forever:

The whole point of this thread is to define what "potato PC" means for playing faf

The problem is, it is usually hard to compare current hardware recommendations to what people bought 5-10 years ago, as this does not appear in the same benchmarks. At best you find a benchmark comparison with the previous generation.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@ZLO join the ring and beat proposed setup, i know you can šŸ˜ƒ

@brutus5000 said in Minimum specifications for Forged Alliance Forever:

My computer was built in 2010, I bought it 3 years ago for $300. Has the old cpu score of 240 and runs everything except late game survival or dual gap just fine. It's a Dell precision 7500 with a 3.3 ghz, lots of cheap ram, SSD. Machine still running strong. Was probably a $5000 computer when new.

i7 4770 3.9ghz works good. xeon E5-2630v3 2.4ghz does not handle large games but plays solo campaign fine. will soon see how E53267v3 3.7ghz handles it.

any lowly 4ghz modern pentium will scream.

you'll need a half decent GPU to run it at 4k
i would not recommend core2 platforms of less than 3ghz in 2023. x79 and x99 are very cheap

anything Ryzen, or intel 7th gen or newer will fly circles around the past.

I used to play SupCom on four pc's,

First pc had a E6300.
Second one a E8500 (core2duo)
Third one a 2500k
And now a 13700k.

Even the E6300 managed to run the vanilla game. Finnished all the campaigns on that pc. The e6300 was paired with a GeForce 7600 GS or GT.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

This post is deleted!