Improvement of Leaderboards

The Original Aim that i spoke to @Femboy with was to have on the standard leaderboard to display what their current League Positioning is. At the moment the league system is their but doesn't provide any motivation to bother climbing it which I'm in the process of figuring out as the promo team to see what we can do to improve this.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@rowey Just add MVP players of each season to news. Not just top of a season, but best winrate / fastest games / longest games / badass gameplay

This could work

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Just to add a datapoint, League of Legends (one of the biggest games in the world) which has a league system very similar to ours has a leaderboard that looks like this:

9969c8e4-0507-41fc-8a25-7534508b8c13-grafik.png

So it pretty much looks the same as ours, it just additionally has a column for the recent rank changes. I think the point is to intentionally give lacking information about the skill of a player, because many people just don't understand it and/or because it leads to players focusing on rating.
LoL also showed rating when it was a new game, but they switched to the league system pretty fast (after like 3 years or so). Players now play to go up divisions/tiers and not rating. The system also rewards (avatars, other "cool" profile UI stuff, in-game skins) players for reaching certain goals, like being at least Gold at the end of a season, and that becomes motivation for people to play.

We don't have any rewards so that part of the motivation is gone. We also don't have rank up games like LoL has (BO3 for division, BO5 for leagues).

There's more to it, like a different system for very high level players and so on, but I think the post is already long.

My main point is:
There's not really anything wrong with our current leaderboards, as it's the same as LoL, the whole thing is more about the philosophy behind the leaderboard. The problem is that we currently have something that doesn't give you good information, but also doesn't have all the intricacies of the LoL system that makes people want to play more and rank up divsions and tiers and feel good about that.
Our system is still unfinished: in-game you still see rating, and as far as I know the cool designs Petric made are still not used anywhere.

Personally I vastly prefer getting meaningful information than the pampering the LoL system does; I think it's also way less effort for our devs to implement.

League vs Rating is entirely a top-down question. Problem is that the leagues are implemented half-ass because pushing it through entirely and hiding rating made everybody cry so it’s currently useless because no culture exists around league divisions nor is there any reason for one to currently form. So you have the situation of people wanting to revert back to using rating as a leaderboard and essentially making divisions a pointless addition.

Then we just push through the league system across the board, and say goodbye to showing ratings. If that is the better system for the long term then I'll be happy to implement it in the game, and I'll be happy to take all the flak that emerges from it.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip How would that look for global games? Would there be a separate global league or would it show highest mm league?

Thread locked for upvote farming.

profile picture credits to petric

I just re-added the global leaderboards https://www.test.faforever.com/leaderboards

FAF Website Developer

good job

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

This post is deleted!

I dont have such problems

cd794681-2ef9-4214-b2c1-31ab2da69698-image.png

and fix for Python client. Extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\Forged Alliance Forever
python36.zip