AIs in ladder

Yeah, that was one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked on FAF.

I like this idea. I think it'll be great for getting new players into ladder, and at the very least I can't see how it would have a negative impact. Not only that, but I'd very much like to stop being pitted against 0 rated players as a ~1300 rated ladder player. I've all but stopped playing ladder after a month or so of serious interest in climbing it because that was incredibly frustrating. Both because I felt bad about beating up on a new player and because I'd get no rating for it, and once or twice I even lost rating which is kind of absurd that it allows such a big gap that I can lose rating for winning.

Anyway, mini rant over, I like the idea and don't see issues with it other than perhaps it's a lot of dev work.

@blackyps I wasn't aware that the system was already in place in the 1v1 ladder. Good to hear. I see I already caused some misinformation.

@FtXCommando So we would mainly need to measure the ratings of the available AIs. In theory this could be done by hand. Just having players play AI games in custom 1v1s, logging the current ladder rating and outcome of the game. Then calculating the rating changes/ using the python script. But getting enough players to test against each AI will be hard. Especially bc there should be a big variety of players (that also play actively ladder at the time)

@harzer99 said in AIs in ladder:

@FtXCommando So we would mainly need to measure the ratings of the available AIs. In theory this could be done by hand. Just having players play AI games in custom 1v1s, logging the current ladder rating and outcome of the game. Then calculating the rating changes/ using the python script. But getting enough players to test against each AI will be hard. Especially bc there should be a big variety of players (that also play actively ladder at the time)

Just start with coca but I don't think he has ever played a custom 1v1 4head

I think this has the same mechanical difficulty as having AIs in 2v2 queue or someone's idea for a PVE queue, but on the viability front: AI has made massive strides these past year- depending on the AI I think up to 200-300 rated players can be bullied easily. With the AI tournament going we should get some decent data depending on how many participants there are.

ALSO! I don't know about others, but when I started it was absolutely demoralizing to hit -200 something rating after thinking i was pretty OK at the game as a noob. If there had been games against some easy AI, RNG, uveso, etc I might have kept playing ladder just because of how much easier it would have been to get games, and see my own improvement without wondering if my opponent was just more or less retarded.
Definitely might want to have a toggle or something so people can choose to never encounter AI if they don't like it, but I think it would be super interesting, and it might revitalize the AI scene a bit more for people to have the possibility of essentially getting what they make integrated into ladder, and give us AI devs a lot more data against real people

@blackyps said in AIs in ladder:

The AI absolutely must be not cheating or we teach horrible misconceptions to new players how many units they can reasonably expect after a short time.

A cheating AI means, it has a higher mass energy output from recources and a higher build rate. And there is the Omni View option that removes the fog of war for the AI.

If you turn the cheat/buildfactor to 1.0 and switch Omni view off, then you have a non cheating AI even if you choose AIx.

We (all other AI developers) don't use any code to get data that a normal player can't access. So the AI can only see what a normal player can see, and its not using any other glitch/cheat.
It follows all non cheat rules that we have on FAF.

(Also all AIs are uploaded to Git Hub and you can view & check the code any time)

Are game results reported for single player AI games? I could be wrong but I thought I tested it out and they weren’t. This would pose a bit of an issue, but someone should confirm.

@Askaholic
Tested a AI vs AI game and the gameresult was sended via GpgNetSend:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/deploy/fafdevelop/schook/lua/UserSync.lua#L97

Confirmed.

Haha Imagine how much better your ais would be if the coders would know how to play the game. Maybe you should pair up with to players.

@shape-of-bennis lmao imagine if good players knew how to make AI. maybe you should pair up with ai devs

I think at least the part about having the AI play ladder to get a real strength rating for them is interesting. It would be similar to what was done with AlphaStar in StarCraft.
Would that already be possible atm, queuing up and having the AI play?

Having AI with an actual rating would be pretty useful, it would give you a consistent and always available way to gauge your own skill as a new player. There are many who are scared of starting ladder because they don't know what to expect or because they fear getting destroyed in their first games; with an AI with known rating it would help a bit with what to expect.

If you put AIs into the ladder, some people will hope for/expect an AI opponent. And then they will get anxiety whenever it's a real person. As it is now, you're guaranteed to get a real person or nothing at all.

The problem of new players being paired against 1300s is real and probably the best way to fix it is to say that a person's 5 first games they can't get anyone over 700. It's not like we have a shortage of 400-700 rated players queueing for ladder.

Well we can lower the threshold any time. It’s currently at 1600 mu (yes mu Not displayed rating) afaik, but it is easily configurable and can be done even while the server is running. New players can’t get matched randomly with any player that has higher than that mu (unless that player is also a new player)

@uveso ok cool. Maybe it was for sandbox games that it wasn’t sending results

An opt-in for AI opponents if no players within your range are available within a certain time frame would be great.
I can't imagine anyone on these forums would get much out of it. But if a new player could have an AI game (that could be preconfigured correctly as well) instead of waiting extended periods and possibly getting spanked by a much higher rated player that could be a good thing. As someone who lives in a quiet time zone knowing that I'll be waiting a LONG time to get a game after I click the button is a turn off.

Maybe you could gain rating up to 300 through those games to avoid it being abused, that way no one has to argue about what AI's are rated what. I imagine any AI no matter how good has a decreased perceived rating based on how many times you've played it.

@askaholic said in AIs in ladder:

Well we can lower the threshold any time. It’s currently at 1600 mu (yes mu Not displayed rating) afaik, but it is easily configurable and can be done even while the server is running. New players can’t get matched randomly with any player that has higher than that mu (unless that player is also a new player)

So you mean to say these things can be amended easily by using nothing more than a table edit and common sense?

The current PC always characterised any change to the matchmaker as rocket science that only he himself grasped and could undertake after year long study of true skill distribution tables.

Maybe in the future the system can make alot more sense by using a logic that can be explained by alot less words. I'm hopeful.

The problem with AI screwing up regular ladder could be solved by building an beginner-AI-matchmaker pool that is only for people below X rating, but you can farm rating and games for ladder.

Solves the negative ratings. Solves the lack of games problem. Teaches players basics of the game (assuming the AIs behave a little bit like real ladder players e.g. spam instead of turtle).

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

One possible outcome out of this is that new player will just start bunker them self's up much like ladder gatekeepers and win that way. And at that point we just accidentally made more cancer and problems then it would be solving.

I just looking this from a different angle, I do like an idea of tools being used to motivate new players to keep on playing in both ladder and global games.

Analyze, Adapt, Overcome...

@shape-of-bennis no I’m saying this one particular value can be changed because its just a number defined in a config file.

It would be interesting if we took the winner of the AI tourney and put it on ladder for a few weeks as an experiment. It could be given a normal rating and then we'd have it queue infrequently (<5 times per day) and only when players aren't finding games.

We'd get some interesting data to see if this is a good idea long-term and players would get some matches when they otherwise would get none.