Make the "Draw Bug" a Bannable Offense

Why cant this bug just be fixed in the code?

because it "just" needs s1 to do it, aka time (as was stated above allready)

Forumpros doing balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTcguJZh3A .
When a canis player remembers to build more than 3 units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjp8xJHuyA .

Was fixed in the past, resulted in other game results being reported wrong. Doubt anyone else is interested in taking a stab at fixing the issue without causing 30 larger rating reporting issues.

@blackyps I'm happy to personally handle all draw bug reports. I doubt there would be that many, and the work required to review them would be small compared to the average report. Plus making draw bug a bannable offensive is likely to reduce the number of people who exploit it regularly.

What percentage of matches does this happen in? Unless this is happening quite frequently, will it really make a big difference in the long run to anyone's rating? I mean think what happens if someone just magically added 500 points to your rating. You haven't gotten any better as a player, so it will pretty quickly just revert to your true rating when you lose most of your matches to players "at your rating."

Well eventually it doesn't increase your rating if you are a regular player.
Yes you win rating points. But you are not a better player because of that. Eventually you will be matched with better players which will defeat you without coming into Ctrl+K range.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

i'm already talking about it with askaholic, some revert of old pr are gonna be made to fix that.

Thank you all! Appreciate the hard work!

I don’t get this thread. What exactly is the problem?

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/513/a-draw-counted-as-a-win-if-you-kill-enemy-s-acu-with-ctrl-k-of-your-acu?_=1618729696862

Draw bug explained in more details above.
If the ennemy acu is below 2500HP and you ctrl+k, instead of getting a draw you'll get a win.

This is very frustrating for the other player, for a lot of reasons, but mainly :

• In a normal situation you would try to go for the kill, so the ennemy would have a chance to block you and save his acu. With the bug abuse, once below 2500 and in range of the ennemy acu, it's like being dead, you can just ctrl+k to end the game and still get the win.
  • It's espacially stupid combined with shift+g strategies. You don't need a lot of tanks with your acu to drop your ennemy down to 2500HP. So basically an abuser of this strategy can just rush you with 10 tanks very early and just win ... while in a normal sitaution, this would be a draw.
  • Once both players know about the bug, and you end up in a close acu 1v1 combat, you're always tempted to ctrl+k for the win. So draw situations are never draws anymore.

In a lot of situations, you actually need to ctrl+K to actually get the draw (e.g. your opponent is <2500hp, but has shift g'd units around your acu and is about to walk out of range), so until the issue is fixed, the best temporary solution is to just pause and ask for/accept a draw in every draw situation.

In any case, I agree that this problem should be removed. A draw must be fair.

The last 3 posts have done well to explain, thank you

https://replay.faforever.com/14351084

Weird case where my opponent ctrl+k and it doesn't bug. Has the bug been fixed or something unexpected happened ?

@Auricocorico The FAF gods were punishing @Voodoo for not remembering that he could ground-fire his ACU to kill you

(you can stand on the sides of the puddle to shoot into the middle - #14351296)

I thought it was a valid tactic to ctrl k to kill the enemy com-it stops them gaining vet from killing you and surviving, and from being able to run away from you if they have some spam to block you. I’ve done it myself a number of times and would feel very aggrieved to be banned for it (until now id presumed it would count as a draw). If the actual issue can be fixed then great, but if not it shouldn’t be punishable because it should be a legitimate tactic to obtain a draw instead of a loss. Id be happy with a punishment that just involved a manual rating change as well since that would just be an awkward way of fixing the issue.

One query though-some have suggested pausing and offering a draw. how do you get a draw? One game my opponent had to leave so we agreed to have our coms shoot each other to death to draw; is there a better/easier way?

You can agree to a draw under the diplomacy tab or w/e it's called in game. It's the same place which can be used to give resources to your allies, offer peace in games with unlocked teams etc.

Does anyone else remember 'Lame'? I fear to think how highly rated that man would have gotten with drawbug and shift G.

But like actually though, I really don't see this as that much of a problem. It sucks sometimes, but at the end of the day your rating will go back to baseline. Swkoll and I used to offer each other draws if we wanted to be nice, I offered a draw to espi one and he told me to pound salt so I went back to control k'ing if I needed to. I think the situation is too ambiguous to need to start looking at bans or warnings. Everyone knows how sometimes you go for a push and it doesnt work out, and your only chance is to take a draw or lose. I have yet to see anyone really try and abuse the system since "Lame' did this back in 2012-2013.

Also, I thought this got fixed a few days/week ago? The last two games I lost to control K, it counted it as an actual draw?

a bit late with for the party but that wouldn't be implemented as bannable offense since it's too hard to track down if it was on purpose or not as well as implement a lot of unnecessary fear,imagine some low rated boys that don't know how does that even work,they are going to just stop playing at all if we start banning it,however it is still possible to pm one mods with several replays and go through them,that would probably be better imo,also yeah,i though it was somewhat fixed xD

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

Just warn them the first time. You don’t need to ban right away.... I told a guy I was playing against about the bug that plays me frequently, and he stopped using it.