Disclaimer : this is the thread to ask questions and discuss about the Commanders of Calypso, to register please go to this thread.
Right below are outdated discussions from May 2021, when i first talked about the subject, updated rules are on the thread i linked above.
While everybody is concerned with the election, i'm entertaining the idea of resurrecting on old weekly tourney that was going on between 2007 and 2009 in the french community.
I'll spare you the cringe lore about the secret guild of pirate commanders hidden on the planet Calypso, their mighty leaders designated by the law of the strongest, the pantheon .. etc. I might translate all this old post later to hype people up, but for now i'll just stick with explaining the format :
- 2v2 weekly match between two teams
- the winning team is the champion team, next challengers fight the champions next week, on a map the challengers choose. You beat the champions, you become the champions.
- the tourney goes on as long as people register to challenge the champion
- after X consecutive wins, the champions enter the "pantheon" and can't play anymore. They are forever champions of Calypso and get a mighty avatar. This opens the title for weaker teams (notably if the champions are just steam rolling everybody).
- if this goes long enough, you can even have tourneys or showmatches between teams in the pantheon.
So that's it, basically. Few rules have to be set up :
- do you go for one single match (it used to promote cheese strats), or some BO3 for a longer stream
- how many consecutive wins to enter pantheon
- a map pool or some rules regarding the map chosen by the challengers
- few rules to avoid "base donation"
- a rating limit to avoid stacks of the top 20 best players fighting eachother forever ?
This last point is important and has to be discussed. I remember this tourney to be very "casual" : the champions used to be good, but not unbeatable. It used to be a big deal, because everybody in the community thought they had a chance, and also because you would be featured in an event followed by everybody with around 100 viewers weekly (it was just the french community remember !).
Now i'm not sure we can recreate that .. without rating limit, it would become a big show of all the pros, which can be interesting. With a rating limit, it can appeal to a more casual player base ... I'm really torn on this.
Don't hesitate to comment on this idea. I have an exam in June, so won't host anything until this summer, so plenty of time to talk it out.