Why would you have left FAF?

@monstratus said in Why would you have left FAF?:

It still seems to me that if those who did not survive the match did not receive points, it would be fair...

You fail to notice that the rating system isn't a one-way route to judge how people play. It also influences the way people play, since ultimately the goal of the game is not to win, but to gain as much rating as possible compared to everyone else.

So your suggestion would encourage turtle play, with minimal chances of your com to die, optimally winning after all your teammates are dead, encourage teamkilling, discourage literally any play that could put your com in danger. Nobody would tele snipe or com drop in a hope to win the game, because they wouldn't get rating anyway, so they would still "loose".

The rating system should properly encourage any playstyle that increases your teams chances of winning and the only reliable way to do that is to only rate wins/losses and play enough games with diverse teams, for noise (like stronger teammates that carry you) to average out.

Really, a mediocore Coustomrating means not that much. only Increasing the Sample Size by playing more games makes it more reliable, bcs your overall performance and influence on the matches become more clear after lets say 1000 matches. You wont get away with playing bad and hoping you are in the winners team by random in the long run. Also killing an enemy high rated player by sacrificing your com may be a dick move but is a legitimate strategy in a team game i think.

@monstratus said in Why would you have left FAF?:

I have rarely seen such a case when a skilled player dies out of stupidity.

dude never seen a farm stream

Downvoted for toxicity.

get gud

Didn't even know that your team winning the game after you were killed counted as a win for you.

You know, I'm starting to understand why the complaining about rating in this thread... Just played a 2v2 game. The ratings shown in game were 0 and 916 vs 1008 and 1121. The problem? The "0 and 916" were actually 2000 and 1400 global rating vs 1200 and 1000. After trying 4 times to connect, getting placed in that absolute waste of time stomp is incredibly demoralizing and feels like even trying to play the game is a total waste of time.

@RedX That's how the system works though? But first of all, the "0" wasn't a zero rated player. It only shows 0 for the very first game they play. The rating is actually global-400 or smth like that iirc.
So the 900 is accurate. The 2000 global should be like 1600 ranked if it was his first game and it is possible to get matched if you wait long enough since the rating range increases a bit over time.

So yes. It's a general problem with newer queues that ppl tend to be ~300 pts underrated, but that's smth every game has and is mostly gone now since 2v2 isn't that new anymore. However it does still happen as you can see.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@sladow-noob said in Why would you have left FAF?:

@RedX That's how the system works though? But first of all, the "0" wasn't a zero rated player. It only shows 0 for the very first game they play. The rating is actually global-400 or smth like that iirc.
So the 900 is accurate. The 2000 global should be like 1600 ranked if it was his first game and it is possible to get matched if you wait long enough since the rating range increases a bit over time.

So yes. It's a general problem with newer queues that ppl tend to be ~300 pts underrated, but that's smth every game has and is mostly gone now since 2v2 isn't that new anymore. However it does still happen as you can see.

I'm not I understand what you're saying here. Regardless of being underrated across the board or not, the game put both better players on the same team by a large margin. A 1200 and 1000 vs 1400 and 2000 makes no sense. I'm sure somewhere in the bowels of the rating system it made sense, but that doesn't make it any less demoralizing when that's what you get, especially after so many failed launches. Is it actual problem? Idk, honestly. Just saying I understand where people are coming from.

But one of them was 900 rated in 2v2 or not? Global rating is only important for 'setting up' the starting rank so ppl don't start at 0, but the system sees them as 900 and 1600 ranked, not as 1400 and 2000 ranked.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

RedX, are you talking about the game you won? Your 1200 global teammate won against the 2k and 1,4k globals (both from DualGap of course). The game didn't look unbalanced, you just got killed fast because you overextended with your com. So pretty much a 🤡 complaint, especially considering you even complained about your teammate in-game.

https://replay.faforever.com/21079317

For anyone who wants to watch... I won't even say anything. Just look at RedX and what he did, while his 1.1K rated teammate took on the 3.5k worth of gap players alone and won.

Not my fault they decided to turn off their brains and essentially AFK what should've been an easy win after denying me any enjoyment of FAF at all. Funny how often that happens.

dang, they're out to get you man. i think you should compile a list of all players that have offended you and give them to the moderator team. they'll deal with those bastards!

Lmao my dude. You are just mad that some imaginary global number doesn't mean shit in matchmaker Q which is totally different environment from the easily abusable global. I bet you would have a brain meltdown if you were to see just how good the 3k astro crater warriors are on anything that's not astro.

You literally lost the game to your own weak mental.

This dude got carried by his teammate after he died due to being out of position but it's because the enemy was too high rated or something? What???

Only "out of position" because I got mobbed by both players tanks, tanks that then somehow failed to stop a whole 2 factories worth of arty. If I'm not allowed to be pissed I had to sit and watch the stupidest win in human history after that, what am I allowed to be pissed about? I just want to play the game, not sit in queue for 30 minutes and then die in 5 minutes because people double my rating ganged up on me and then turned into potatoes.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted but I can't delete it now so I guess go ahead and mock me for the next week, that's all this thread is for right?

@redx said in Why would you have left FAF?:

I had to sit and watch

I'm not here to judge you and in general (less hate) would apply, but you did not, in fact, have to sit and watch if you didn't want to.

@deletethis said in Why would you have left FAF?:

@redx said in Why would you have left FAF?:

I had to sit and watch

I'm not here to judge you and in general (less hate) would apply, but you did not, in fact, have to sit and watch if you didn't want to.

You're right of course, but the other option was go sit through another half hour of queue failures (and in fact I got a 30 minute timeout when I tried after this, so...) It's just a shit waste of time.

Whole lotta tantrum to throw over one game, maybe a break will do you some good 👍