Reworked Mercy, how do you like it?

For the Aeon players, how do you like it, how do you use it now?

For those who aren't regularly Aeon, how do you defend against it, how was is it used against you?

The change to it is a big one, and I'm interested to hear about peoples experiences.

Personally, rushing T2 air and smashing one into a cluster of T1 units is extremely satisfying.

I don't really understand its new role. What can it do that a t2 gunship can't for cheaper. Maybe if gunships had their weapon reverted back to what they originally were so they had no aoe.

Now if they ignored shields that would be a different story.

Its trash now and even with 50 it doesnt deal any significant damage to a moving T4 experimental or any unsuspecting commander.

yes but have u tried using it on something that it wasn't specifically changed to be bad at

with regards to the ignoring shield, I think it would be better off if it had an emp field for some set interval. Like a floating chrono that stops units, so you can make one for a titan raid which in turn allows your harbs to catch up rather than having to invest into 5 gunships to kill the titans as they continue raiding.

Being honest, I think the first iteration of the Mercy rework was probably the best or at least better.
Less AoE but more condensed damage.
I believe it was around 1600 total damage at that time but probably should've been a tad less.

Anywho, the current iteration is fine for crowd control and for carpet bombing.
A far more effective area denial, if I may add.
The closest thing to it now is a Janus's ground attack but that unit only deals damage in a "runway" whilst the Mercy has far greater AoE.

That being said, I feel like it still lacks a little bit of something.
It had more presense before it's rework, and everyone on the offensive had in the back of their mind, "Build AA".
I think that it could still use more tweaking to be in a better spot.

Maybe @FtXCommando's idea here for a mini-emp effect would be good, as well.
Sounds promising at first glance.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The green effect looks bad. Is this a placeholder or is it the final version for the time being?

I hope to replace that effect with something else, but I'm not equipped to do the type of work

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Reworked Mercy, how do you like it?:

I hope to replace that effect with something else, but I'm not equipped to do the type of work

But why? It's the default Aeon DOT effect. Nothing is wrong with it.

Maybe someone can post a few replays where it has been used as area denial if that isn’t just a fictitious idea that someone dreamt up during their lunch break...

Mercy being bad or good at its new role is so besides the point. It wasn't going to stay what it was, it was impossible to balance because it was inherently toxic to a simulated projectile game. For such an instant death unit to work you need hitscan mechanics where the intended counter for said unit instantly obliterates it.

It can be given smaller adjustments to fit the new role because it is now healthy for the game in said role, whatever the adjustments need to be.

Don't get why people see more ambitious changes than changing a few lua stat lines and are immediately up at arms because the first implementation isn't 100% perfect when it's working to remove a poisonous aspect of the game. Especially when said unit wasn't even necessary for Aeon to have an extremely strong t2 air stage in the first place.

I've talked to Jip and I'll be looking at some visual upgrades for Mercy DoT.

In other news I do think Mercy could use a damage buff. I think it does 600 damage at the moment (blueprint value is incorrect). 600 damage over a very short DoT would be acceptable, but for a unit to be able to sit in the cloud for 10 whole seconds and only take 600 damage seems a bit odd. A UEF T2 engineer has 6+ seconds to walk out of the cloud and still live. At that damage rate it seems like an inconvenience at best to T2 and up.

@ftxcommando
That sorta comes back to me not really understanding its role. Initially I thought 'oh given the bomb ignition point I could use this to soften up a firebase before I attack it with real units'. But a bunch of them wouldn't even take down half a shield in an offensive role.

If I'm defending they do a good job at forcing unshielded snipers and mobile arty to relocate. But again, shields.
Emp would be good in this scenario since it would interrupt firing and not let them kite as easily, can also serve both defensive and offensive roles.

Might be cool to do 600 dmg or if it hit a shield it does 2000 DMG to the sheild

@veteranashe said in Reworked Mercy, how do you like it?:

Might be cool to do 600 dmg or if it hit a shield it does 2000 DMG to the sheild

Cries in cybran. Why is it aeon that always get's the cool shit.

Everyone gets cool shit except uef

Yeah, my big sub experiential doesn't even have torp defense

@Deribus
I appreciate the work you put in. Looks better than the version before. Overall, i just don't like the effect in general - looks like the green jelly army from Lord of the Rings or a massive toxic wasteland. I didnt mind the effect for arties, prolly bc it was on a small scale, but this now looks more like the result of a scud storm than enlightened higher power alien Aeon tech. Eyesore.
In this case, I d opt for something new. RK4000 has shown that many cool effects are possible - maybe there is something that aligns well with Aeon? Even changing the color prolly will make it look better.

c37f15f2-0986-442a-8689-2aeb00ae2fea-image.png

eeac14a6-1305-4f13-b548-56fb75a70bda-image.png

@deribus said in Reworked Mercy, how do you like it?:

I've talked to Jip and I'll be looking at some visual upgrades for Mercy DoT.

In other news I do think Mercy could use a damage buff. I think it does 600 damage at the moment (blueprint value is incorrect). 600 damage over a very short DoT would be acceptable, but for a unit to be able to sit in the cloud for 10 whole seconds and only take 600 damage seems a bit odd. A UEF T2 engineer has 6+ seconds to walk out of the cloud and still live. At that damage rate it seems like an inconvenience at best to T2 and up.

I think the green DoT smoke is fine too, mostly because it's consistent with the Miasma.

I think a shorter DoT life and higher overall damage would be good. It feels like its usefulness falls off very quickly.

That is a great start @Deribus

I agree with Ninrai that we're not there yet. But this is a great first step and I'll merge that on its own until someone makes more refinements.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I think if you are changing the role of the mercy away from acu/xp snipes, you should remove the other nerfs, meaning give it better hp (200 or 300), vision, turn rate, fuel lifetime, and fuel recharge. The only reason the mercy ever had crappy stats in these fields was because it was nerfed harshly while maintaining the core snipe function.