Do you think Sanctuary will replace FAF?

It is being made as a proper replacement, unlike games like BAR and others, that look more like parodies.

And they can edit the source code.

Why the hell would anybody be contributing to this game if they thought that?

Don't have much faith that the project will get finished. Have even less faith that they will make good design decisions and produce something better and more accessible than FAF. Hopefully I will be proved wrong. Still haven't seen any real game play from a players perspective.

it's called forged alliance forever

anyways I think it takes far more gameplay wise than just creating a spiritual successor for that

I hope that it does replace FAF but I know it won't simply because of the fact that there are still people playing Total Annihilation. There will always be people playing FAF and working on it. They've already sunk so much time into learning the game or building things for it that cannot be translated over to a new system. Instead of wondering if FAF will be replaced by Sanctuary we should just wish for Sanctuary's success and hopes it pushes the genre forward.

This is exactly like every "will [new game] kill [old game]" debate, e.g valorant & csgo. Talk about the supposed advantages of [new game] as much as you want, people will play the game they know & love for a long time yet.

@melanol said in Do you think Sanctuary will replace FAF?:

unlike games like BAR and others, that look more like parodies.

This is really ignorant, BAR is trying to be a successor to Total Annihilation (it's actually a remake of an update called Balanced Annihilation), not Supreme Commander.

Total Annihilation inspired a whole sub-genre of RTS games with a streaming economy, from Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (which is the only fantasy themed type of streaming eco RTS I'm aware of) to Supreme Commander to Zero-K to Planetary Annihilation. They all have different flavors and can coexist, no one game is the ultimate streaming RTS game. For example, Zero-K has unparalleled UI as well as a completely flat tech tree, and PA's gameplay is built around the fact that you can never see the whole battlefield at once, even with Picture in Picture. For me, the reason I prefer Supcom is that the commander is strong and impactful instead of mostly a glorified engineer, and that there are 4 unique factions. I also think that the time to kill units and typical match length allows for the optimal balance of action and strategy.

Sanctuary is actually trying to be the sequel to FA that Supcom 2 should have been. Just like many people play Street Fighter 3 forever or Brood War, even if they play SFV and Starcraft 2 as well, I think many people will continue to play both games. It's not like you have to pick one or the other. A lot of stuff carries over easily.

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

There's little to no point making any judgment on Sanctuary until people not involved with the project can play it.

no. but i hope it goes well for them.

Lovers of this subgenre tend to appreciate new entries. Planetary annihilation and BAR are still going strong. We need another RTS Triathlon. or maybe an olympics with Total Annihilation, Balanced Annihilation, Sanctuary, and Rusted Warfare added to the lineup.

i've been enjoying Rusted Warfare a lot recently with it's crossplay pixel art. Very accessible.

@deribus said in Do you think Sanctuary will replace FAF?:

There's little to no point making any judgment on Sanctuary until people not involved with the project can play it.

a thousand times this. it's vaporware until then.

This post is deleted!

Sanctuary will be vapourware. They're at the stage Star Citizen was in for it's first 5 years. Shiny tech demos and videos. I haven't seen anything good they've displayed that wasn't solely responsible due to the in-built features of the game engine they are using. They don't have the experience or funding runway to create something that will compete with FAF.

They've never mentioned anything in their blogs or anywhere else, as far as I know, about improving the steep learning curve and making it easier for new players to transition from single player to online play. Which are the actual design problems needing to be tackled. They just talk about adding even more mechanics, like weather and terrain destruction, to a game that was already too unapproachable from the start. Their focus seems to be on technical features rather than game design.

It's possible that it will still be good enough since there's no real competition for this type of game. Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance were both horribly balanced, barely ran on peoples computers, and lacking all the usability features FAF has added since, yet they still did pretty well and we're still playing them.

Everything they have shown so far does just looks like the FAF map editor with some stuff tacked on still though.

@thomashiatt said in Do you think Sanctuary will replace FAF?:

They've never mentioned anything in their blogs or anywhere else, as far as I know, about improving the steep learning curve and making it easier for new players to transition from single player to online play. Which are the actual design problems needing to be tackled. They just talk about adding even more mechanics, like weather and terrain destruction, to a game that was already too unapproachable from the start. Their focus seems to be on technical features rather than game design.

Ngl I like this. Whenever some "designer types" have tried to make RTS more "approachable" it has ended badly. When I was a kid I just wanted a sandbox with cool toys to play with, and there was a sense of bewilderment and awe that one could play against other people in any way that would be remotely efficient. Whenever you try to streamline the experience in order to attract more players the game loses its charm to some extent. Imo the best you can do is have a good set of single player and co-op experiences that blur the line between single- and multiplayer.

I don’t think so, they don’t guarantee a game/demo to their current patrons, they are using volunteers (to make a paid game, mind you), and they invest more into marketing and shiny displays than significant stuff…

Supcom took 3 years of a full time staff to be done, a full PAID staff of experienced devs. Sanctuary has 2k a month to pay themselves and then uses volunteers as free labor to their paid game…

I don’t think they’ll be able to come even close to FA, they just don’t have the resources for it. I think they have 2 years in development and they still don’t have any decent gameplay whatsoever?

To me it all sounds like they are thirsty for investor money and that’s why they are focusing so hard on the marketing department

FAF Website Developer

To me it all sounds like they are thirsty for investor money and that’s why they are focusing so hard on the marketing department

i guess chris tylor wished he did it in this way.
well we will c

I’m surprised that lot of people think that it’s a scam or vaporware, whether you think the game will be good or bad notwithstanding. If you’re part of their Discord you can see tons of bugtesting, pathfinding development, modeling and mapping. They’re using Unity which actually is a very flexible and robust engine, Unity sometimes gets a bad reputation since it’s pretty easy to use and therefore lot of indie games use it, and a lot of indie games are shovelware. But it’s actually a good choice for making an RTS game of this scale, definitely more than Unreal. It’s true that they are looking for more private investment, but they plan to do a kickstarter whether or not it materializes. The patreon they currently run is donations only. They plan that some aspects of the game, like a naval theatre, would be trimmed if they have a lower budget.

I know I sound like I’m shilling the game, but I have no problem with people saying that they don’t think it looks good or that FAF will be superior. I do have a problem with people insinuating it’s vaporware, or comparing it to Star Citizen. That’s just egregious, and unfair to the people working on the game. You could be turning away people who are potentially interested who don’t know what you’re talking about.

This thread was kinda asking for it when it begins with the premise of thinking Sanctuary would replace FAF as a "proper replacement". Might as well as go onto BAR or Zero-K forums and ask them if they expect FAF to replace them in 5 years. Or ask one if the other TA variant will replace them. It's just tone deaf and insulting, really.

@ftxcommando

To be fair, Sanctuary is definitely patterned more after Supreme Commander in its game mechanics than those other games which are mostly patterned off of Total Annihilation. It doesn’t mean it’s a zero sum game but they have essentially made it their goal to make a worthy Supreme Commander spiritual successor.

To be fair, many of the people here have dumped more hours into making FAF than they have into making Sanctuary. If their goal is to "replace" FAF then I actively hope they fail. I'm sure other people feel just as defensive about it and that's why you get the responses you get.