Units getting stuck more often than usual

I've been on and off FAF for years and played thousands of games and up until recently, units getting stuck has never been a huge problem. Yes it happens every now and then but maybe... once every ten games? And usually pretty easy to fix—you notice it, you issue the order again, as long as it's a sensible order (ex. not up a cliff) and it's not your ACU completely drowning in engies, it fixes itself.

Then recently (perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not after the latest patch—certainly within the past two weeks) suddenly I am getting multiple units stuck every few games. And like, stuck stuck. Like, give them multiple move orders in various directions and they are still stuck, stuck, and they are stuck on ONE pgen or ONE engie. I normally try and have "intelligent" move orders (ex. go around my base, not through it), but lately I have found myself having to make them extra-specific, using maybe 4-5 nav points instead of 2-3.

I've also noticed that experimentals don't want to walk over small units or buildings as much. Normally I could command a chicken through my base, but now it has to walk around.

Did pathfinding change recently? Is it just me?

Can you give us some replay IDs with a timestamp where such things happen?

@pearl12 said in Units getting stuck more often than usual:

I've also noticed that experimentals don't want to walk over small units or buildings as much. Normally I could command a chicken through my base, but now it has to walk around.

I think the chicken bug is known and getting fixed soon. I think Jip tried to change the hitbox, but that also changed the footprint, which in turn affects pathing over units.

@magge said in Units getting stuck more often than usual:

Can you give us some replay IDs with a timestamp where such things happen?

I am happy to do this, I'd just rather know it's not just me (or that it continues) before digging through my replays to sort the good examples from the bad. I will start noting replays where it happens though, from now on.

@nex said in Units getting stuck more often than usual:

I think the chicken bug is known and getting fixed soon. I think Jip tried to change the hitbox, but that also changed the footprint, which in turn affects pathing over units.

Cool, thanks!

@Pearl12 I had a few times where engies would get really stuck for no real reason, when that happens what helped me was using the formation move on that single stuck engi to rotate it, maybe it will help you too. Can't say I had issues with other units but it's not very meaningful as I haven't played too much lately.

Yeah, the chicken problem was on accident. We're fixing that again.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I've had an issue recently with ASFs in particular turning away from regular move commands. I think it happens when I select all fighters and it selects reinforcing fighters, and then all the fighters try to group up somewhere in the middle. Previously the ASFs at the front would just move towards my move order instead of moving towards some central point like a formation move would. It's happened multiple times over the past couple weeks and I don't ever recall having this issue before the last couple of weeks. I can provide replay IDs with timestamps when I get home.

If you (accidentally) do a formation move then yes, they end up moving towards each other.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

My acu stuck a few times in a row in coop. Check latest coop replays

I can second this i was thinking the path finding was a little screwed, i noticed the chicken one my self there is also an example in Acid Vashs recent cast when a ML got stuck on T1/2 tank.

@archsimkat Could actually be your mouse doing a slightly too long press causing an accidental formation move. No joke, I had this issue a lot more frequently in the past before changing to a new mouse. Now I rarely see it. Still, this behavior happens sometimes to me as well and it doesn't look like a formation move. Not common though and I don't have a replay id on hand for this