SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions

The hq system is really easy

Either you take engie mod that makes all BP efficient (t1, t2, t3)

Or

Only t1 engines and one factory is efficient.

It's been explained above, and if you don't use engie mod you will have -7 games

@veteranashe said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

(...)
The hq system is really easy

Please, just make a pause : stand back and take a sit, then consider the whole thing.

What would you think of such RTS game which doesn't allow you to spread any buildings freely ?
Who like games that are limiting high tech building cap ?
"Oh too bad, you've lost dis stoopeed HQ. Dat cutz your wingz, so rebuild it at all cost or this game will be over"

Side note :
Buildings are counted as units, which is wrong IMHO.
Why ? Because they are not units, as simple as that.
So my idea is to no longer include buildings within the unit count.
This might lead to create a separated building counter.
This way, when you'd see 1000 units in your counter, this would mean you have 1000 running on the battle field, buildings excluded.

@i_forgorthescene said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Nobody upgrades SACU's anyway.

@brannou said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

, they are not that vastely used

• How / Why did this happen ?
  • is there some remedy to this ?

You want to turn your SACUs into Rambos ? T
IMHO, this would mean there should be 2 totally different SACUs, including their visuals :

• a SACU that's purely a fighter with its pre-build stuff. But isn't this the T3 bot's and eventual T4 bot's job to be such Rambo ?
  • a SACU that's purely an engie with or without its own pre-build stuff, remaining unaffected by the order of its upgrades.

And what about LOW Tech engineers that became more efficient, turning suddenly HIGH Tech into useless engies (or so) ?
errr wait ! WHY and HOW could they be more efficient ?
Higher Tech is meant to be superior to lower Tech or does the world now turns upside down ???

EDIT: my feeling is the game is becoming some sort of Starcraft and this sux hard. FA is losing its soul and its uniqueness !!!

my hq literally almost never dies and when it does its probably game over regardless so i dont get why you're crying so much

also t3 engineers have the same efficiency as t1 engineers, except they have more build range, health, and of course access to t2&t3. please stop spreading misinformation, it could be harmful

profile picture credits to petric

@Manimal_
Oh dear lord.

Maybe if you STOP using BOLD FONT eXcEsSiVeLy, people on the internet would start to CONSIDER taking you SERIOUSLY. Bold font is EQUIAVLENT TO ALL CAPS when used LIKE YOU DO, so your posts read PRETTY MUCH like TROLL posts / ATTENTION WHORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!

@manimal_ said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

What would you think of such RTS game which doesn't allow you to spread any buildings freely ?
Who like games that are limiting high tech building cap ?

How is FAF limiting your buildings?

"Oh too bad, you've lost dis stoopeed HQ. Dat cutz your wingz, so rebuild it at all cost or this game will be over"

Without the HQ mod you would only have a single factory anyway so it's the same outcome when that factory is destroyed.
You can still build more than 1 HQ it's just not very efficient, but if your HQ is in danger it might be a good idea to preemptively build another one.

Buildings are counted as units, which is wrong IMHO.
Why ? Because they are not units, as simple as that.
So my idea is to no longer include buildings within the unit count.
This might lead to create a separated building counter.
This way, when you'd see 1000 units in your counter, this would mean you have 1000 running on the battle field, buildings excluded.

But to what ends?
you have a 1000 unit cap which is almost never reached and you can even increase it.
The unit cap is not there to limit your gameplay (like in many other rts).
It's a limitation to prevent the game from lagging to hard / becoming unplayable for certain pcs.
So it makes 0 difference for gameplay if you count buildings or not, but buildings still need to compute stuff so they count for performance reasons.

You want to turn your SACUs into Rambos ? T

SACUs are quite capable fighters with the right upgrades

IMHO, this would mean there should be 2 totally different SACUs, including their visuals :

That's the point of the presets and why they are not selected together.
So you basically make rambo presets for your fighters, engie presets for your builders and RAS presets for your eco bois.
Them having different visuals is something that someone would have to design, which no one has done yet, so all upgrades look the same (but you can see if a part has been upgraded).

And what about LOW Tech engineers that became more efficient, turning suddenly HIGH Tech into useless engies (or so) ?
errr wait ! WHY and HOW could they be more efficient ?

In vanilla a T1 engie has more buildpower per mass than a T3 engie. This is fixed in FAF (they all have the same bp/mass)

Higher Tech is meant to be superior to lower Tech or does the world now turns upside down ???

Higher tech units are and were always only partially superior to lower tech units.
lower tech often has more stats/mass than higher tech, but since a higher tech unit has more absolute hp and will fire all its weapons at maximum power until it is fully dead, it wins against a mass equivalent amount of lower tech units, as these slowly die one after the other thus reducing the strength of the group.
But in certain scenarios lower tech units are still superior because they give more dps/mass or hp/mass etc.
That's why you always see t1 arty or frigs even in the t3 stage and often t1 bombers against T4s

my feeling is the game is becoming some sort of Starcraft and this sux hard. FA is losing its soul and its uniqueness !!!

How is it becoming more like starcraft compared to vanilla?
What uniqueness is FAF loosing compared to vanilla?

Performances issues with a 15 years old game on nowadays PCs.... ROFL

I'm too confident in some people affirmations about engies :
@zlo said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Nah, t1 engineers are more mass and power efficient, if you don't use those you will be at disadvantage.

And there's no netiquette rule speaking of the use of bold chars.

It's normal to play 4v4 on a 20x20 map, which means if the match lasts an hour, people make a lot of units. There can be 800 ASF on each side. Which can cause the game to slow down. Some people play on 40x40 maps, especially if they are playing against AI. If you only play 1v1s, that kind of slowdown basically doesn't happen.

Also, this game was not designed to take advantage of multi-core. So it's basically dependent on your single core performance (as well as RAM). But half of the advancement over the last 15 years is in having more cores.

And some people play on laptops.

Uhm yes.
game.jpg
Small screenshot from a recent game. 16 minutes in with speed set to +0, but it slows down to -1 due to too many units.

I'm too confident in some people affirmations about engies :

@zlo said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

@manimal_ said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades seem to be bugged:

Assisting with engies is for the factions that don't have Kennel like units...

Nah, t1 engineers are more mass and power efficient, if you don't use those you will be at disadvantage.

He was comparing them to kennels/hives, where T1 engies (or any kind of engie) wins.

Either you take engie mod that makes all BP efficient (t1, t2, t3)
Or

This was a comparison between FAF (which uses engie mod) and vanilla where you have to use t1 engies to not fall behind

@nex said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Uhm yes.
pic
Small screenshot from a recent game. 16 minutes in with speed set to +0, but it slows down to -1 due to too many units.

Is there still an issue with pathfinding computation ?
Unless you're playing on a laptop PC, being short in DDR RAM and/or with a medium end CPU / GPU ?

Laptops are way too compact to embed enough components and to be cooled down efficiently in the mean time...

Not mentioning the quality of internet connexion of all players in a game. (I've played with people who had a terrible wifi connexion, frequently disconnected , or their sync was delayed... what a pain)

Some persons like FAF as it is. Some don't for their own reasons.
I'm in between them.
I think FAF could be much more cool, but the genuine FA engine has its weaknesses due to the dev's tech choices... They complained about Xact Audio engine for instance, if I remember well.
There was a "similar" issue with Total Annihilation 's Peewees and Flash Tanks that was solved by turning off their weapon's sound.

How are HQ snipes limiting strategic gameplay? The fact that you can snipe an HQ is literally an additional strategy being added into the game.

@arma473 said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Also, this game was not designed to take advantage of multi-core. So it's basically dependent on your single core performance (as well as RAM). But half of the advancement over the last 15 years is in having more cores.

I've read somewhere that CoreMaximizer was good for Win 7 users only...
It was given on GPG as THE solution to the use of multi-core CPUs...

However I don't know how does the game manage the multi-core GPUs

@thomashiatt said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

How are HQ snipes limiting strategic gameplay? The fact that you can snipe an HQ is literally an additional strategy being added into the game.

Like weakening the shields ?

Like weakening the shields ?

I have no idea what this is referring to, or how it relates to my post in any way, but any weakening of shields would also be an increase in strategicness. Shields are just a catchall anti-strategy that blocks whatever your opponent is trying to do in a boring way. Shields are still more than strong enough in FAF and can efficiently counter arty or whatever else is thrown at them.

I've read somewhere that CoreMaximizer was good for Win 7 users only...
It was given on GPG as THE solution to the use of multi-core...

No matter what you do, the simulation will always be single core.
You can use 3rd party programs to spread the simulation, ui and other windows threads/processes to different cores, but the main issue is the simulation.

Is there still an issue with pathfinding computation ?

It's not only the pathfinding. Every unit has to search for good targets for each of its weapons, they have to compute how to shoot to hit their target etc., etc.
So the performance goes down as the unitcount increases (for weapon targeting it's even quadratic, as each new unit introduces new weapons and is itself a new target). there were a lot of updates in FAF to increase performance, but a lot of things are in the closed source supcom engine, so they are not easily changeable (like weapon targeting for example).

Even the best pcs will start to struggle at some point in a 16 player game.

Not mentioning the quality of internet connexion of all players in a game.

Bad connections will cause stuttering and lag, but will not slow down the simulation.

However I don't know how does the game manage the multi-core GPUs

your gpu has (almost) no impact on the games performance.
here the age of the game plays a big role, as gpu performance went up and has always been scalable across cores. Also the game never was really gpu intensive, as it renders very little once you zoom out.

Shields are just a catchall anti-strategy that blocks whatever your opponent is trying to do in a boring way.

No they don't block nukes 😆

I have no idea what this is referring to,

It refers to shield spill something (maybe spill-over)
This was done because some players found the shields too tough.

"some"

I have no idea what this is referring to,

It refers to shield spill something (maybe spill-over)
This was done because some players found the shields too tough.

on your skill level those small changes do not really matter
you can just make resource up to 1k mass income and make all your factires into HQs or use kennel drones or just build more shields and assst them

Shield overspill damage is only like 15% and something like 30 for mobile sihelds
it greatly affects stacked shields that used to be a balance problem

FAF has many many changes, t2 shields were also incresed in cost because they were and still are very strong

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

when's this dude getting banned for trolling

profile picture credits to petric

Nothing more constructive to say or do ?

Every time I hear something about constructivism it's always something from norse legends... and very very fat.

Why are we feeding this troll who will never get it?

Start locking these threads

You're so righteous that you convinced me to disable forever the mods that sit here FAForever Data\cache\featured_mod\gamedata, by hoping to be able to enjoy the game with the few interesting updates/new features only.
Among other things I wll get rid of : the still-work-in-progress-SACU-thing, the HQs buildings system and the "rebalanced"-engies

I must to underline that FAF devs have left no choice to toggle on/off those features (through mod manager ?), they are simply imposed... and they don't fit all players.

I've appreciated the patience of some helping persons and thank them a bunch for their efforts.

The other ones were just a background noise...