Should Strategic Missile Submarine be able to make AntiNukes?

A nuclear missile is a long-range missile that takes a long time to launch and is slow to get up to max speed.

The anti-nuke is like a bullet that flies out quickly to intercept the nuke.

The two projectiles are completely different. So thematically it doesn't make sense for the same unit to fire both.

It doesn't make sense that a sub could be underwater and fire an anti-nuke projectile through the water that would still be fast enough to intercept the nuclear missile.

could always only allow fire above water, would also balance better so its easier to see and kill

u just raise ur sub when u hear nuke launch and then submerge any time other than that

Moved to Balance Discussion

I like the idea of having some sort of naval or aquatic antinuke, but I largely agree with arch's above points regarding the balance of putting it on a nuke sub. So, perhaps we should discuss adding a relatively expensive mobile anti-nuke, but it might make more sense to allow some form of stationary SMD's in water.

pfp credit to gieb

No new units

So maybe the smd could be aquatic, like sams?

Hasn't there been a very long thread years ago about naval antinuke that concluded that this would be a bad idea?

Yes, and not only one but few over the years. Still, movable SMD is just OP same as allowing one to build it on water as that gives you way to many opportunities to abuse single SMD to cover more than half of the map.

You guys just scared to out of possibilities to nuke enemy base by focusing land smd by 99999 bombers.

I am voting for adding this into faf to flip over old suck tactics 😄

Amazing reasoning, showcases why these things don't get left to votes.

@ftxcommando faf is not about stability anyway. Old balance team did whatever they want

What structure of organization is more predisposed to stability in action and thought process:
The singular executive enacting what he deems necessary with either no or little regard for feedback

or

The conglomeration of meritocratically established people that were put in their position due to holding a broadly similar set of axiomatic beliefs that would make them work with the rest of the group?

The "old balance team" was the former btw.

Democracys tend to be more stable than dictatorships. And hugely more effective. And as @Eternal well said, stability at the cost of everything else, is not the objective. And of course, meritocratical systems tend to be hugely more effective too.

Concerning antinuke. I agree with words of @archsimkat. But I point out, that not having mobile antinuke, seems to make many massheavy maps totally turtle type (some DualCap, Astro?). Once your army or navy value is bigger then value of nukes neccessaire to destroy that army or navy (so that army/navy cant dodge those nukes). It forces the games to go into "build big gun, everything else does not matter" style. Having mobile antinuke could add lots of possibilitys and gameplay. And reduce turtle-eco-build-big-gun, type of games.

I am not talking antinuke on nukesub, but maybe new unit that could go on land and water. More expensive than static one of course, but maybe reduce the price of static anti nuke a little?

The thing about nukes is that they both punish robotic play where opponent keeps scaling without scouting and also forces opponents to take action on some maps because of spread out bases. On many maps 1 nuke can force up to like 4 SMDs. This also forces bp on the SMDs so it slows down scale elsewhere.

With a mobile anti nuke a nuke is no longer a macro tool but rather an air’s win more tool because it’s simply impossible to nuke anything faster than a mobile anti nuke can be loaded into a transport and block the nuke on the passage to a base. It means that a scaling opponent will always counter a nuke as long as his team has air, which they will since he has focused on scaling.

Nuking armies and navies is a major hail mary move because they can both move out of the way and also it destroys all the reclaim which you would likely need in order to come back from the situation.

With multiple nukes spread out and narrow terrain, you can not move out of the way, as I already pointed out. And this type of gamers are not looking "to come back from the situation". They are doing it on purpose. 4 nukes at 60k mass (not considering launchers), against 20 experimentals (or something else) at 400-700k mass... People play like that in purpose on some maps. This is the actual balance that makes it like that.

It is possible to have mobile antinuke that is not transportable. So you cant move it fast by air in front of nukes path.

People playing like that on purpose doesn't mean anything, people play badly on purpose all the time. They just don't think about it or don't know any better. Regardless of a mobile anti-nuke existing or not, 20 T4 is horrible play and will continue to be horrible play because 9k mass invested into sniping the anti nuke is an immediate game over. You shouldn't be putting half a million mass into anything that isn't also protected by another 100,000 mass in defenses.

New units shouldn't be added into the game to make terrible play just 10% less terrible.

Who said there is not 100k mass in defences?

It is the same thing with 10 experimentals. It is about the same thing with 5 experiomentals and support units. It was only an example. Experimentals have more dps masswise than Mavor, it seems to me. And I hope building army's or navy's does not end only because someone is always calling people stupid. Personnally I am not into playing turle and building-big-gun every time.

Make 10 T4, for it to be coherent it needs to have taken like 5-7 minutes of mass generation otherwise it's an all in gamble which already denotes this isn't great play. For that to happen, you need like 800 mass income per second across the whole team being invested into T4 at 28,000 mass cost per T4. It takes about 2 minutes to cross the map, in that time the enemy will have built up another 4 or more T4 as they should have the mass lead due to your earlier investment in 10 T4.

This problem continues to scale up, it's why this is a bad move and it's why game enders exists.

In this, I have not taken into account all of the very mass efficient counters to potential attacks like this ie nukes, air, tmls, arty which a 10 T4 attack would need to account for and saddle the mass investment with superfluous costs which the defender does not need to worry about. Accounting for that, a defender could also now have made 6 or 7 T4 by the time this 10 T4 attack actually begins reaching to attack a game-winning target.