WELL....I guess I give up.

The Steam account and your Game details need to be public during the first login. You can set them back to private after the initial login.

The steam linking instructions pretty much spell it out on their own.

Is now a good time to point out I play fine and dont have a steam link

Ras Boi's save lives.

@arma473 said in WELL....I guess I give up.:

@ftxcommando said in WELL....I guess I give up.:

Why did FAF not break that covenant for the 6 years it was up without Steamlink then?

GPG knew that FAF wasn't requiring Steam-linking when it told the public they could use FAF as a matchmaker for FA. So, at least for some period of time, FAF gets a free pass on that.

But who is to say that, as time progresses, FAF doesn't need to adapt? FAF wants to update the exe, make balance patches, and otherwise innovate. So it makes sense that as time goes on FAF would have to "grow up" and also innovate ways to protect against piracy.

One of the defenses that FAF is likely to bring in the event of litigation is "fair use." And, while I'm not an IP law expert, my guess is that someone relying on a defense that has to do with "fairness" (or for that matter, a lot of other defenses FAF might want to use also have to do with fairness/equity) is going to want to be able to say "we took reasonable steps to prevent piracy" not "lol we think piracy is funny, get rekt corpo scum"

The first paragraph is baseless and this was never thought true by anybody. Back during Zep Era everyone was well aware FAF could be shut down and there was nothing that could be done about it, people are still aware of it. There was never some divine right from God that would keep FAF safe from a C&D.

Let's remember Steamlink wasn't implemented to keep FAF safe from being shut down but rather to keep monetary risk from visi to a minimum. Big difference between the two and if people want to argue about keeping Steamlink to keep FAF financial risk or their personal monetary risk to a low then feel free to do so but it was never in the cards that Steamlink was going to keep FAF safe if people got serious about taking it down even back when the argument with visi about implementing it was going on.

Projects with much less total use of assets (and no profit motive just like FAF) like the KOTOR remaster mod have been hit with C&Ds and were not in anyone's capacity to fight. I heavily doubt any fair use defense would stand when FAF basically markets itself as a service that Square Enix is already providing via Steam matchmaking.

The steps to get around Steamlink were known literally day 0 of its implementation by the way because I heard all of them back when I had to argue for why we needed Steamlink back then and why it was useless as a legal defense. Back then I mostly argued for it because of the positive externalities against smurfing but with current data from onboarding case studies as well as the retention thread it can be seen that Steamlink had extreme negatives that were not foreseen at the time.

I think this discussion defeats the purpose of the topic.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

My man people should be allowed to discuss things (rats should be allowed to argue pointlessly) wherever it develops naturally

@arma473

I don’t know why you got the impression I disagreed with that sentiment. I’m saying that Steamlink shows a deliberate effort on the part of FAF to do as you said, officially mandate that all copies of Forged Alliance associated with FAF accounts are legal. You can circumvent this, but this no longer FAF’s responsibility. Just like you can pirate Roms for your SNES emulator instead of ripping them from a cartridge as recommended (with no enforcement or verification system). The emulator creators have zero legal responsibility in that case, even though I would argue that in their case they know 99% of their users are gonna pirate.

It goes without saying that Square Enix could go after FAF regardless, but this makes it less likely. The fact that FAF has made a good faith attempt to combat piracy does matter.

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@spikeynoob OK....I am upset at this.. and I apologize for the outburst.

I still can't access the client.

This still sucks.

ok?

@deletethis Then clear me up.

@noonecares Do you use the client for maps/mods?

@scout_more_often My name is Richard, and you don't know me.

@zokora You are right....I have just had a lot of problems with this login thing.....

I apologize.

It's not the people....actually this is the absolute BEST RTS game I have ever seen. I guess that's what makes me get upset at potentially loosing access to the client....it's important. I suppose we will figure this out eventually.

Thanks.

@mandofan58 did you try resetting your password through steam? https://forum.faforever.com/topic/278/i-lost-access-to-my-account-what-should-i-do

It’s a common problem that people have where they forget the password to their FAF account that they linked originally so they try to make a new account. If you need help you can also always ask a moderator on the discord and they can clean up your extra account.

@askaholic Thank You for your help. I managed to figure out the problem, which was an old account and a newer account mixing up. I much appreciate your help.

@mandofan58 I feel I should apologize to the community over my outburst.

I Apologize....I went too far.

Was a mixup over an older account and passwords, etc....

I will say that if there is a way to streamline this process further it would help....especially from Steam. If you could register the FAF information in steam and have a process from steam, that would be the best way (probably not possible, of course...)

Thank You.

@mandofan58 It takes a big man to apologise and admit fault, good on you! We all understand your passion, we love this game too, hope to see you on the field of battle 🙂

A thread with a good result! How rare!