15x15 Maps for Mapgen

Not truly random, but something more random lol

@Sheikah That's really cool. I just tried it a few times. Thanks for letting me know about it

Yeah part of the issue is that with not truly random but more random then it is as much effort on my part as the work I am doing to just get more varied maps in general.

@sheikah I've been following your mapgen GitHub for awhile now, and I am curious as to how you go about doing it. As in what is the general procedure undertaken for generating a map. I'm familiar with Procedural generation of various types, but my professional experience is more with computational evolution and shader node layer type systems like blender.

I've longheld that procedural maps should have been a requirement for RTS ever since AOE2.
Memorizing map meta < Learning to read a new map.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@KaletheQuick I will probably make another post that describes the map gen process

As a side note: having 15x15 and even 7.5x7.5 would be cool options for 1v1.

Alright I just pushed an update for the mapgen that allows for any map size that is a multiple of 1.25km. Right now the ui for the client doesn't exist but they can be made using the command line options. Having these in ladder will have to wait until the next server update.

yeah,having 15x15 would probably fix some of the classic gun rushes on 10x10 and probably set a limit to echowhoring and air focus on 20x20

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

@sheikah said in 15x15 Maps for Mapgen:

the command line options

Thats sounds great! Whats the syntax for the command line to generate the different map sizes?

edit: @Emperor_Penguin answered the question. The syntax is --map-size [multiple of 64]. So if you use --map-size 768, you get a 15x15km map.

edit: @Emperor_Penguin answered the question. The syntax is --map-size [multiple of 64]. So if you use --map-size [768], you get a 15x15km map.

Note that you should not use the surrounding brackets so would just be --map-size 768

Ah yes, forgot to delete those. edited it above

Also note that when you use command line options all the other UI arguments are ignored so you have to specify everything you want in the command line like spawn count and num teams etc

--map-size 64 doesn't work

It does occasionally. But with a size of 64 I think sometimes with the minimum amount of space I set that players need it might have a hard time placing them or think there isn't enough space on the 1.25km

@sheikah This link is broken now, is there a new link or updated list somewhere? Thank you!

It is a little in flux right now but a temporary place that might be outdated can be seen here. https://github.com/FAForever/Neroxis-Map-Generator/wiki/Command-Line-Args

You can also run the --help option from the command line with the current generator you have

@sheikah Awesome, thank you!

@sheikah are there commands for Terrain, Team and Spawn symmetries?

Not with the current version of the map generator