Converting Advanced Strategic Icons

please do not discuss ASI in this topic, you can do that here.

We're looking for someone who's interested in converting the Advanced Strategic Icons (ASI) to use the new approach to changing unit icons. The old system requires a separate installer, where as the new one can be just a ui mod as any other in the vault.

The aim is that they are identical - you're not supposed to make changes to the icons.

At the end, we'll have three ui mods:

• Advanced Strategic Icons: small size
  • Advanced Strategic Icons: medium size
  • Advanced Strategic Icons: large size

You can of course make additional ui mods that edit these - feel free to make that to your liking. But the base mods should be identical. You can contact me if you're interested either in this topic or through Discord.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

here is an explanation on how to use new strategic icons. It would help the person that will make the UI mods.
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/2571/how-to-use-different-strategic-icons

I would love to help you out with this UI mod!

It will be my first Mod for FAF, but with the instructions I can do it. 😃

That is great to hear 👍

You can contact us on the FAF Discord if you need help. In #modding-general you'll get the quickest replies. Make sure you have the mod role that you can select in the #role-selection channel.

Isn't that mod and all its icons copyrighted and not supposed to be modified or redistributed by anyone? You guys are pretty strict about these rules with maps.

If you can show me that it is then we'll need the permission of Balthazar / Keyser before we do this. Where is the original source of the mod anyhow?

Was on the old forums and you cannot get it anymore. I remember reading the license that came with it and willingly disobeying it.

I found:

and this repository from @BlackYps to automate tasks in Gimp.

Search functionality is broken on the old forums. How do you convert the link to the cached forums?

Advanced strategic icons

The creator of this mod is known by the nickname of Shadows in the forum and lobby of Forged Alliance Forever.

Main page:
http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&sid=3f76b85c4a440c00d11a15f6e0a2ccd7

Email:
[email protected]

Copyright (C) Maxareuos. 2014. All rights reserved.

You may not sell or change this creation in any way.

That's what the original license says. I don't know if putting the icons on the mod vault would be a violation. But I modified some of the icons so I am a criminal for sure.

Good find - I've send him an email.

I've finished the conversion. With your instructions it was surprisingly easy and everything now works as it should!

I will then wait for the permission before uploading , but I'm ready to upload the mod if desired. (In 3 Versions small size, medium size, large size)

Of course I have named Maxareuos as the author of the Mod.

I have not yet received a response - let's wait till the end of the week and then I'll talk with Balthazar.

OK I installed Penguins Icon Mod and replaced whatever icons he had there with strategic icons as proof of concept and guess what... the mexes icons are still fucked up. What I did worked partially, icons except mexes and pgens and some others get replaced. I think "howering over mexes" did something with t1 icons

I'll look at this this weekend too then. Busy weekend 🙂 .

@karlhoffman said in Converting Advanced Strategic Icons:

OK I installed Penguins Icon Mod and replaced whatever icons he had there with strategic icons as proof of concept and guess what... the mexes icons are still fucked up. What I did worked partially, icons except mexes and pgens and some others get replaced. I think "howering over mexes" did something with t1 icons

OK I had problem with game, I reinstalled ASI and FAF and supcom and everything is working. Problem was on my side

@KarlHoffman do you have a link to the installer for me?

Just pitching in that the icons work fine for me. I think I'm using this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wnafvqj1mxwyut/Advanced Strategic Icons mod installer 3.3.1.zip?dl=0

Could it affect if I've previously added them to base game or something?

@jip link for ASI or for Penguins Icon Mod ? I didn't really create the mod in a proper way I just tried to see if icons works so I modify existing Penguins Icon Mod for myself only. I will read how to create mods and try to make a proper one. Never tried create mod before

@giebmasse yep I used the same

Ok, I have converted everything, how do I publish a mod?