Torp bombers essentially remove all subs from the game. Now torps already have a few issues:
- they are ok vs frigates
- extremely strong vs destroyers
- ultra giga strong vs subs
- very strong vs cruisers with good micro, very weak without micro
I wouldn't want torps to get worse vs frigs really so you can't really nerf torp damage without also having to nerf frig hp. Value of frig hp nerf is debatable and not really the topic here.
When it comes to other torpedo units the interaction is really weird though. Torp weapons in general are extremely low dps, and submerged units have extremely low hp to compensate.
Salem hp/mass: 2.69
Barracuda hp/mass: 1.3
Not only are subs paying dearly for their ability to submerge with hp, but they are also somewhat low dps:
Salem dps/mass: 0.147 (0.102 surface, 0.044 torp)
Barracuda dps/mass: 0.102
- subs are kinda bad at killing surface ships
- meanwhile anything that can shoot a sub absolutely roasts it
- mainly torp bombers, but also...
- ...including torp launchers which annihilate subs but tickle surface ships
Nobody wants to make any changes since there's too many moving parts and I guess most people don't really care that much about improving faf design anyways, but an overhaul would seriously improve the game.
Said overhaul should include:
- subs capable of taking down surface ships
- subs should still be countered by destros
- subs should still be countered by torps, while also being able to retreat from torp bombers without being instantly one shot
- inties/asf should be capable of defending subs from torp bombers
- torp launchers capable of taking down surface ships
As usual, this post is hardly conclusive and I've surely forgotten to mention 200 things that I've noted before.
Have an extra graph (yea it's missing some stuff like flak for example):