Setting up automatch

Not necessarily because sometimes it can take a while for everyone to launch the game and connect

Games sometimes launch after a surprising amount of time. It could be that someone needs to still download/generate the map and there is no advantage in cancelling early when the next queue pop will only be in three minutes anyway.

I think there is merit in waiting until the next matching time is down to like 15 seconds (0:15). That way, you theoretically waited for close to 3 minutes, and you can still join the next queue cycle before it reaches 0:00. In my experience, a notable portion of matches actually do connect in the 2nd or 3rd minute if everybody waits.

pfp credit to gieb

If there is a loading screen that lets you know what the other players are doing: Downloading the map, launching the game, connecting to players, etc. similar to tft then I think less players will leave.

it waits around 2 minutes 30, then kicks all so they can join the next round.

From my experience

5 seconds

@aulex said in Setting up automatch:

If there is a loading screen that lets you know what the other players are doing: Downloading the map, launching the game, connecting to players, etc. similar to tft then I think less players will leave.

More informative text is planned afaik, just hasn’t been done yet. I took a stab at it but never got to the point where it was ready to PR.

@scout_more_often Yes. I often get past setting up automatch after 2 mins

Thanks all, I make sure to wait longer now. Definitely would support some more explanatory text onscreen explaining all of the above 🙂

How come it takes longer in TMM compared to a hosted game?

In a hosted game somebody connects in about 20 sec. Even multiple people at the same time.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps