Change Mantis to T1 tank icon

This has been said before, but it leads to actual confusion and difficulty playing vs Hunters, especially as the Mantis is nearly as fast as a LAB. Is it more difficult than changing the relevant field in a blueprint? Or is there any reason to keep it the same?

I can only answer how difficult it is to change.

Go to this line:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/deploy/fafdevelop/units/URL0107/URL0107_unit.bp#L220

Change it from

StrategicIconName = 'icon_bot1_directfire',

to

StrategicIconName = 'icon_land1_directfire',

That's all.

Compared to 2015 I see a lot heavier use of LABs in lower leagues at least, I don't know if is just changing meta or the buildpower buff LABs received. I myself hopped onto this trend after some impressive mixed LAB gameplay by an opponent.

But it is hard to see if those are 3 LABs or 3 Mantis raiding something.

I will make a commit on Git and bring it up with the balance team.
#MakeMantisGreatAgain

Its an intended feature of the Mantis as part of Cybran Intel Game. I don’t believe it should be changed

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

It's an unintended side effect of what is generally a good system (use different icons depending on whether it's a "bot" or a "tank"). Cybran has bots instead of tanks for t1 because they look cool, not because of the intel game. We have to decide between two imperfect options:

-Mantis has "tank" icon even though mantis are bots
-Mantis has "bot" icon so it's harder to tell them apart from LABs

So either you have to tell people "diamond is a tank and hexagon is a bot EXCEPT for mantis" or you have to tell people "LABs look like this, t1 tanks look like this, but watch out, you can't tell Mantis apart from LABs"

It seems obvious to me which one we should prefer

Disagree. The Mantis has a Bot Icon because Cybran thing is subterfuge (that and ability to threaten anymore but not necessarily engage everywhere) and at T1 you cannot really have classic counterintel like stealth avaliable easily in mass espacially for land.

So they gave an intentionally “deceptive” Strategic Icon, so espacially early game, a Cybran could fool an enemy with a Mantis as NotLab or Hunter as notTank.

(There is also I believe a speed/dps implication of what gets a Bot vs Tank Icon. Just in general. But that a different tangent).

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

@Dragun101 said in Change Mantis to T1 tank icon:

There is also I believe a speed/dps implication of what gets a Bot vs Tank Icon

T2 - hover tanks are fast and cheap (blaze) or fast and expensive (riptide), heavy tanks can be slow (Obsidian) or fast (Pillars), bots can be slow (Ilshavoh) or fast (Mongoose/Hoplite)

T3 - bots are fast when they are from SupCom 1, but T3 armored bots and sniper bots are slow.

I don't see any patterns

It makes no sense (both in terms of gameplay and lore) that you can zoom in and clearly see that its a Mantis (aka bigger threat than lab), and then just zoom out and somehow the information lost now?

The other factions would have to gimp their own tactical overview on purpose to remove information they already have, why.

Because Cybran is messing with your intelligence gathering simply put

Mantis is a t1 tank. That is all. (Although if the supcom 2 example is to be followed, it could have +25% damage (10 instead of 8 for 33.33 dps) in exchange for -25% hp (200 instead of 270).

If it's a gameplay mechanic it should have counterplay, which in this case either doesn't exist or is switching off "Always Render Strategic Icons"... a setting in the options menu that you don't even have to be in game to access. That's not gameplay. If it was an intended mechanic, Mantis would appear with tank icons for the user - not that lore really matters but from that perspective why would you jam your own sensors?

To a lesser extent it creates the same potential problems for the Cybran using Hunters+Mantis as it does for the opponent. You won't know what your land mix is when just looking at it, and have to remember what you sent where and go out of your way to actually select units in various places to confirm what's what, whereas other factions can just zoom out and know how many LABs and tanks they have and where they are. This is potentially meaningful, especially early, as you might well push in with a LAB in a fight that a Mantis could win but a Hunter will lose, or hang back when you could have raided with Mantis and taken a lead. This goes against the point of strategic icons, which is basically the selling point of the game.

TLDR this isn't really a fun or interesting skillset to punish or reward for either side, and it's pretty hard to believe it's a deliberate design choice beyond "Mantis have legs".

I'm quite sad noboby took draguns comment seriously, I think it makes perfect sense. Mantis has been like that since SupCom ... i'm sad this feature is removed to satisfy 3-4 people ....
#mantisarebots !!!!

His argument falls apart because it also affects the cybran player himself.

Who cares whether its an intended feature or whether it was in the OG supcom or not. All that matters is if its good or bad to have it in the game.

Does anyone ever do this or is this a non issue

Do what?

Mix in hunters with mantis to make a army appear larger and more dangerous than it really is

Compromise : instead of a tank icon, you put the bricks/percy icon : it's still a bot, but it has a X instead of a cross to differenciate it from the hunter. Of course it would have 1 white bar to indicate it's a t1 bot and not a brick. mantis.png