'Brigadier Fletcher' Mapping tournament

@thecrimsonknight you can grab the map from the vault and reverse engineer it. As far as the actual skybox, I used Gaea for the planet texture and GIMP to sphereize, fade it out, and add the star.

Shaders have been added!

@TheCrimsonKnight

Your map, Stulta Aqua Pugna, has been a blast to play! I've been using it to host extremely challenging survival games. The layout works great, the map looks fantastic, and it is an especially difficult map to try and win on. It also helped me fix a bug in my mod I was unaware of!

What I like about the map a lot is, while it is symmetrical, it doesn't feel symmetrical.

Anyways, here is a replay # of us all being crushed if you want to see:

@rama That's great to hear! The idea is that the map is not perfectly symmetrical, but the differences are so minor, (and mostly aesthetic,) that it ends up looking more realistic while not sacrificing game-play 🙂

Humble reminder that the deadline is tomorrow (12th of November) 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

The submission deadline has passed once this message is 24 hours old or older. At the moment we received the following submissions:

@IndexLibrorum get your ass in here

@captainklutz I am going through another revision let me beeeeeeee

(I'll be on time don't worry)

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

Vortex.png

This once lush and verdant garden world hosted a classified UEF research facility, researching the first components of the Black Sun doomsday device. We do not know what happened, but all that is left now is a crater and the scattered remnants of the research complex, the planet razed to the ground. // CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. AI compatible.

For this tournament I submit Project Vortex. The map was designed as a all-out navy brawl: every bit of terrain gained will come with another mex for you to claim. Small islands, many with mexes and/or chunks of reclaim are scattered across the map. Most of these islands are low enough that frigates will be able to shoot over them, although some larger ones have some cliffs and mountains.

The spawns are located on the top left and bottom right corners, with two players starting in the water. To start off, these water spawns get two hydros, but will then have to find dry land to expand their powergrid and build non-navy factories. The remaining corners provide some more reclaim, as well as larger islands that allow for some very aggressive forward factories.

Thematically, this map shows the result of a scientific disaster: all that remains of the research facility that was once present on this planet is a large crater in the center. What survived of the buildings from the research complex was blasted outwards, and later moved around by the water that ended up filling the crater. The effects on the region as a whole was disastrous: no life remains. Only the charred husks of what were once large forests teeming with life provide an indication that this was once a verdant garden world. Across the map you'll find many buildings that have since gotten stuck or washed ashore of the many islands. Some newer structures include UEF cranes and a civilian base, indicating that the UEF has started salvaging efforts.

The center of the crater remains a danger to this day, and it is not recommended that commanders are dropped into the deep.

ffb60c20-a97f-4cf6-812f-8922185210dd-image.png

2b8de40c-419e-4acc-aa8c-5fdda3287cac-image.png

c8254525-415a-4d07-ab2a-7cc1bf620b56-image.png

63788db6-11ef-400a-b02d-abd17e2f9ff3-image.png

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

To celebrate the summer invitational and heat wave I present Sentons summer, a setons themed around global warming. Commanders will have to survive in an arid land that's not quite the Setons they are familiar with.

Can you survive one of the hottest heatwaves in Setons history?

sentons summer.png
lost in the desert.png

@IndexLibrorum You forgot to update the reference to the water ramp:

100339af-e390-42ac-8139-d28daaf964e4-image.png

@jip Oh oops. Fixed for v9.

The submission deadline has passed.

And I appreciate the content of @ovenman but I'm fairly certain that it doesn't meet the vault rules 😃

Only 4? Did people forget or something?

People either get intimated or have a lack of time. The previous tournament had very few entries as well. Shame Tron didn't submit theirs, but I understand. It adds to the feeling of prestige but I would love to see more entries

These tourneys take a long time to prepare for and set up so I imagine the next one will be at least a few months away, but I am hoping to participate.

We hope to have the results by the 3rd of December 🙂

@jip Tik Tok! Time's nigh, and we're hyped.

I'm afraid that we won't meet todays deadline. We'll try to finish it this week. For me personally I've been too busy with moving to a new home the past two weeks.

I'd like the record to state I was the only one to finish on time.