Status of Game? It sucks!

What happend to FAF? In the last few Month i was harldy abel to play without someone lost connection. This BS is now so hard that me and my friends stop playing for a while and hope it will get better, or it getting good like a year befor.

Hope Devs fixing this crap.

I fully agree, the people responsible for the ddos are crap.

This post is deleted!

@just_norm said in Status of Game? It sucks!:

@olddirtybastard said in Status of Game? It sucks!:

Sorry to hear you are dissapointed. We take customer satisfaction very seriously here at FAF. If you want to send in your receipt we'll get you refunded in full. In fact we'll give you a hundred times what you paid.

What? You didn't pay? FAF is free?

That's right. Which means you're an entitled spoilt tool. Please take your playership elsewhere. Please.

Great attitude. FAF would last a week with your leadership.

@just_norm

I agree that no users are entitled to updates or balance patches, but the very usability of the multiplayer is a bare minimum to expect from a game, even if it’s free.

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

This post is deleted!

An official statement on this topic would be nice. Like why this is happening and if it will or can be fixed. If this goes on, sooner or later the game will be dead.

@closed

Excuse me?

i guess he means something likem, is there is a roadmap ? what is the problem (not technical) what do u need ? is it depending on one guy? u need support in any way ? u want money ? is there fucking hope.

in favor of alle the freetime float in this project over the years it would be sad not just for the players also for the admins if that fails on some kind of hack

They should roll the game back to 2022. Fuck all these changes. I just want a game that does not drop players EVERY GAME!

Can ppl try the reading thing

Have you tried ever playing a game with less than 12 players

Who would have thought that out of all things this would be the downfall of dual gap lol

We don't know what is causing these problems. We identified some reasons and resolved then (e.g. ddos protection of the main server, solving coturn cpu issues, potential network stress caused by a game change).

There is no visible reason why the problem still exists and we also received feedback that it is fixed for some of you. We have no tools to diagnose these problems any further, we have to develop them first.

We cannot rollback FAF as the system is not designed for rollback. Also there is no guarantee that a rollback actually fixed anything.

FAF had always been plagued by connection issues, and the world around is still changing. Back then we faced 24h disconnects, today we have providers pushing people into improper ipv4 ip pools with natting on provider level, data centers changing their connectivity and firewalls, we have more aggressive routers and security software than ever before. These problems doesn't even need to come from us, it could be imposed externally.

What we need is reliable data. Unfortunately available developer time in that area is more spare than it used to be a few years ago.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

There is no roadmap because at the moment we don't even know for sure what the problem is. We need more telemetry to diagnose the problem, but this has to be coded first. Recently some people have come forward that wanted to help with this but I don't know the latest status.

Edit: Brutus was two minutes faster

Is it possible to identify the issue occurring in server logs? Then work out which date it started. Then look at changes around that date.. spinning up coturn servers or whatever

No. It's peer to peer connections that break. So it's not even touching the main server (anymore). Coturn servers are dedicated machines now. So assuming it would be an occasional coturn problem it should only affect players using the relay.
And these kind of network scenarios can't even be manually tested.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

When users encounter such unusual connection issues, what kind of information could they provide to help?

OS, network card, security software, router, internet provider, or/and any tracert results from CMD?

We would need all that info from every player in the game. Which is just infeasible to sort through manually. Thus the need for more developed telemetry

I would have thought when games send the score result back to base you would get some idea of number of players still connected at the end, or how many dropped out, or something, anything to measure connectivity.

Failing that maybe use something less direct like avg time of ladder match. If connections are really super broken you might see a drop there. Yes I'm clutching at straws

How do we even know if the problem really exists or not