Aeon Gun ACU

just remove the range upgrade for aeon or just making it cost a lot lot lot more in terms of mass and e

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

that'll cause commotion amongst the noobs "wow this is such a small range increase why did i pay 3000 mass and 100000 energy for this???" followed by eternal complaining to the balance team

just delete it from the game gg ez solution

profile picture credits to petric

we should make the UEF ACU gun upgrade the same as the rest of them while we are at it, then it's fair

@comradestryker said in Aeon Gun ACU:

If anything, it's the UEF that should have the range over all other ACUs - and I'm not trying to be biased here.
The point of UEF is to have Alpha damage and Range with their units, no?
For example, the Percy, and the Summit.
Why shouldn't the UEF ACU be any different? It already deals 200 damage per shot.
It probably wouldn't be that difficult to dodge either, considering it would only have half of the firerate as all other ACUs do.
Sniper UEF ACU woudn't be anywhere near as powerfull as an Aeon Sniper ACU.
Well... minus the nano, but it's a crappy version of the nano, anyway.
It wouldn't take much to overwhelm.

Cracked. UEF sniper com with nano. Perfectly balanced; what could go wrong?

@rezy-noob said in Aeon Gun ACU:

don't really see a problem with their guncom besides having a beyond broken chrono, shield is nice to be offensive and works great if you want to be volatile on the ground, kiting isn't too bad and it comes with a huge tax in a form of apm, mid and late game also comes down to gc being ignored for no reason whatsoever for 1 year by now.
can't see aeon guncom broken late game as well and i'd call it pretty garbage considering that:
1)uef has BaD bIlly NuKe that will surely not whipe a 10k investment randomly
2)sera has a small 50k hp buff and pretty good double gun to play vs land and some exps
3)cyb is just garbage but still gets access to cloak+lazer that can be brutal
aeon has +4 range, cool. (no chrono involved or banned from lobbies)
anything smaller than 3v3 can probably be facing the unstoppable aeon gun com but it's more of a powerspike that you should be at least trying to counter, it's also a combination of aeon having probably the most cost-efficient land in the meta that is also contributing to indirect guncom buff since it gives you access to cheap mobile shields

All true and everyone saying otherwise just can't handle it.

647f110a-a0b9-468c-8711-424b67e96bb5-image.png
It takes about 1 second for a commander at full speed to walk that distance. Less if both are moving towards each other.
Very strong upgrade. All it takes is 1 second where your attention is diverted and it no longer matters.

@arran said in Aeon Gun ACU:

All it takes is 1s of inattention to lose the game vs aeon gun com.

This dude deadass in the same post said UEF ACU with Aeon gun range would be insane OP and then proceeded to argue that the distance doesn’t even matter.

@arran

Range is probably one of the most important statistics in the game. If two units have the same move speed, the one with the higher range basically counters the one with less

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

"its not relevant at all bro, just hope ur opponent isnt paying attention!!"

Why must everything be balanced into mediocrity? So what if one commander is a bit better than the others. Other factions have other units that have their own strengths.

In a game of rock-paper-scissors we don't complain about the rock winning from knife, we use paper. Let's not end up with what is essentially a reskin of the same unit.

That is not to say that the faction as a whole should be overpowered when compared to other factions as a whole. The chrono looks too strong, so does the GC. But these issues can be resolved without taking away an advantage; decrease their strength, don't remove it.

For those who are now thinking "yea but that's what I want with gunrange": I refer you to the "this distance is worth 200 mass" image above.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

@IndexLibrorum

The problem with that "rock-paper-scissors" viewpoint... is that it assumes that everything has a 'perfect' counter to everything else.
And - arguably - sniper com does have its counter.
Albeit far from perfect.
That which is T2 Point Defense.

However, spending 800 mass on your own gun upgrade isn't worth it, as you're outranged, regardless;
So, you're forced to take the T2 route instead - and, on top of that, it's about 540 mass for a T2 PD.
But, we all know one T2 PD, two, or even three won't stop a rampaging Sniper Com.

The issue here is that the 'counter' isn't as effective as it may appear to be.

An Aurora is a far better example of a more balanced unit as it has half HP for the extra range it has.
The same can't be said about the ACU - there is no 'con' to this huge 'pro' it has.

In fact, most, if not all, units that have superb range, they all have low HP. Auroras, Sniperbots, Fatboys, etc.

But the extra range isn't just worth 200 mass - it also denies everything any other com can do or try to do.
Which is worth far more than can be put into mass values.

Another note here - which I have mentioned in a previous post above ^, is that the counter to something should be cheaper, at most the same value. However, this isn't the case for an Aeon sniper com.

There is also the case as to why Aeon Navy got nerfed with the last balance patch, too - but that's a slightly different story.

To put it blatantly. Rock counter scissors as well as paper - hence, leaving very little room for a proper counterplay from any of the 3 other factions.

That being said... I completely agree, we don't want all units to be the same, otherwise, we will end up with just reskins, as you mentioned.

But, should an Aeon sniper com's range be THAT high?
No, it really shouldn't.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Perhaps those asking for gun nerf should play on maps larger than 5km?

Some tips for those struggling with land ranged units.

• Use air. E.g. bombers or transport drop. Personal favourite is com drop.
  • Flank. Leave nowhere for ranged units to kite back towards.
  • Deny intel. No intel = no range. Most players (including pros) only make minimal intel. One T1 bomber or LAB is always worth sacrificing to kill radar.
  • Attack in multiple places simultaneously. Ranged units are often slow. Exploit this.
  • Flow like water. If you can't break a position, ignore it and focus your efforts into the path of least resistance.
  • Tech up to widen your tactical options.
  • Eco UP. Fortify a little (e.g. walls) to buy time and develop your eco for a later game overwhelm strategy. More stuff beats less stuff.
  • Pick your battles. If you've tried something and it didn't work, trying again often won't get you a better result.
  • Stop playing on 1 to 2 lane maps or turtle maps.

If none of these are viable for you, get good by acknowledging your mistakes and improving.

@comradestryker I think this sentence

Another note here - which I have mentioned in a previous post above ^, is that the counter to something should be cheaper, at most the same value

is a very good summary of your point. However, I disagree.

We're talking here like in these fights only the commanders are relevant, but you do not see a guncom push without units. One example: auroras are fragile; a single bomb from a T1 bomber kills small groups of units. Taking out a decent amount of the auroras with some bomber micro is not difficult, and suddenly you've got an army to support your own non-aeon guncom which is much bigger than the aeon's army.

Do we really believe that the com's advantage is so large that in this situation, players do not stand a chance?

Furthermore, T2 upgrade isn't something that only exists to counter guncoms, it provides other directions (early TML is always fun), and remains relevant much longer than a Guncom will.

Sure, this takes more effort, and it isn't as simple as 'right click com, get kill'. But why should it be? The guncom isn't impossible to play against, it's difficult to play against. The whole idea behind a strong unit is that it is more difficult to play against, and this is fine.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

Bring back old Loya stun and I'll agree with you. It wasn't impossible to play against either.

Why do you assume the problem with gun com is t1 spam?
The real problem is lategame pushes that get obliterated and with snipers you are perma stuck with t4 or risk donating mass, not to mention that the moment you get chrono, you are basically impossible to kill with ground and no, snipes aren t a thing there cause you need to invest x10 mass to remotely have a chance of killing it

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

In this thread: high rating players claiming aeon gun is broken and low rating players calling it a skill issue

Moderators please lock the thread i cant take this anymore

@indexlibrorum said in Aeon Gun ACU:

Why must everything be balanced into mediocrity? So what if one commander is a bit better than the others. Other factions have other units that have their own strengths.

In a game of rock-paper-scissors we don't complain about the rock winning from knife, we use paper. Let's not end up with what is essentially a reskin of the same unit.

That is not to say that the faction as a whole should be overpowered when compared to other factions as a whole. The chrono looks too strong, so does the GC. But these issues can be resolved without taking away an advantage; decrease their strength, don't remove it.

For those who are now thinking "yea but that's what I want with gunrange": I refer you to the "this distance is worth 200 mass" image above.

Mediocrity? Generic gun ACU is possibly the most OP upgrade/unit in the game for cost efficiency barring maybe TML upgrade.

The whole problem here is that you are not providing an answer to why exactly Aeon needs a strictly superior gun while having potentially the best t2 stage to transition to already. Your logic is “keep stuff unique until it’s oppressive” but if you’re an Aeon player and you do not go gun in basically any circumstance, you’re bad. The only reason nobody can complain about it is because you can’t tell people not to make gun since then Aeon autoloses to any faction that can.

Refer back to my whole post about what makes ACU upgrades good in meta or bad in meta.

@arran said in Aeon Gun ACU:

Some tips for those struggling with land ranged units.

• Use air. E.g. bombers or transport drop. Personal favourite is com drop.
  • Flank. Leave nowhere for ranged units to kite back towards.
  • Deny intel. No intel = no range. Most players (including pros) only make minimal intel. One T1 bomber or LAB is always worth sacrificing to kill radar.
  • Attack in multiple places simultaneously. Ranged units are often slow. Exploit this.
  • Flow like water. If you can't break a position, ignore it and focus your efforts into the path of least resistance.
  • Tech up to widen your tactical options.
  • Eco UP. Fortify a little (e.g. walls) to buy time and develop your eco for a later game overwhelm strategy. More stuff beats less stuff.
  • Pick your battles. If you've tried something and it didn't work, trying again often won't get you a better result.
  • Stop playing on 1 to 2 lane maps or turtle maps.

If none of these are viable for you, get good by acknowledging your mistakes and improving.

Everything posted here justifies why any faction should rightfully get a 40 range gun. Or even better, give every faction a 40 range gun aside from Aeon.

I’d be able to give a rationale for why Cybran needs a 35 range gun, for example. Good luck doing it for Aeon.