Klutz's Map Emporium

@captainklutz said in Klutz's Map Emporium:

This is an official statement that all my maps are CC-BY-NC 3.0.

What does this mean?

It means you can remix them, use them for scenarios, change them up, rip the original textures or heightmaps, and use them in your own works, as long as you give me credit (ideally in the map description) and don't make any money from them.

Cool, some really good looking textures/decals in your map. If I use something of your maps I'll make sure to give you the credit in the map description.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

I felt the need to make a map that tries to rectify the problems with Verdanis. This is the result. The layout is inspired by the best parts of Badlands, but with various changes that I think will help improve gameplay.

Corina's Hourglass

A 20x20 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 map. 20k visible (rock, wreckage) reclaim but 40k total reclaim in small rocks. Symmetric along both horizontal and vertical axes.

2v2 is bottom left vs top right (thanks Jip for suggestion).

Thank you to Grimplex and Archsimkat for putting up with my questions and providing suggestions.

Due to an internal harddrive failure, I have lost all workflows and works in progress.

Thank you to everyone for your support, there will be a delay in map production for the near future.

Corellia Chasm

Commissioned by @BalanceSlave.

It's literally just a FAF interpretation of Corvana Chasm from Supreme Commander 2.

A 20x20 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 map. Limited but useful reclaim in the form of Cybran wrecks. You are unable to send units across, land units on, or build on the lava. This is the closest I could get to recreating the gameplay of the original Corvana Chasm without having to resort to clientside mods or cliffs that could break air pathing. Decals are present but incomplete.

The original 3v3 map, for reference:

Adaptive Wartorn Glens

Asymmetric, adaptive map with a lot of spawns, designed to for games against AI or with uneven teams, made with replayability in mind.

Seven Bay Reef Phantom

I made this 20km x 20km mixed land and navy map because I was dissatisfied with the number of 7 player Phantom maps available after playing some games with Gyle's patrons.
Features dynamic decal rendering: when zoomed in, the normal decal is hidden, so areas where structures can be placed and where units can path are more obvious (see second screenshot).

Overmap
Zoomed in
Reclaim

@Doompants You may like that one

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@captainklutz
Does it only support 7 start points or could it support 14 eg 2 players on each โ€˜reefโ€™, and/or adaptive settings for a different number of players?

(Canโ€™t load client atm to check the start position settings)

@maudlin27 Currently there are only 7 army start points. I could update it to be compatible with adaptive settings and upload a separate Adaptive version if there's interest in that.

While I was in the mood, I also made

Elevenfold Island Phantom

Again, using the dynamic normal decal method stated above.

Overmap
Beauty shot
Reclaim

Looks amazing, great work! Can't wait for forest nothing among other amazing maps โค how is it coming along?

@blossomed Forest Nothing is already on the vault! It's seen quite a bit of FFA play.

Haha.. Jip called me out, but it's amazing how often our playgroup ends up with 7 people logged in. I'll be sure to try Seven Bay Reef next time it happens. Anyone else in the same boat, check out the 7 player version of Sung Island I did; "Seven Sons of Sung Island" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have played Corina's Hourglass a bit too and liked it, so keep up the good work @CaptainKlutz

@CaptainKlutz There we go! played Seven Bay Reef Phantom and had a great game.

No gameplay issues at all. Everything's symmetrical, no pathing issues. Cliffs are well-demarcated. Plays a little mass-rich but that's fine. All in all, good map.

The only issue is one of your decal settings. They seem VERY strange and I wonder if it was intentional or an error. Zoomed out, the erosion decals cast VERY strong shadows, and then as you zoom in, somewhere around 500-700, they all disappear! This is backwards from usual decal settings (where you see the decals zoomed in, but they fade out as you zoom out).

Decals while zoomed out:
014338bd-b338-49a0-a058-eb1a2767e6df-image.png

Same area zoomed in:
5253b918-1e42-4b55-9f57-e303511c7189-image.png

If you use the FAF editor, this can be controlled by the 'Cutoff distance' and 'Near Cutoff Distance' variables under decals. It looks like you have entered a value for 'near cutoff distance' (which you probably want to select the decal(s) and change that value to zero).

be139ae7-0cb9-464e-9c4c-f8eccf2fb463-image.png

Aside from that one jarring graphic setting, the map was great. Let me know if you want to fix this, and I'll give a good vault review when it's done.

Oops. Another thing -- One of our other players noted your oceans are very shallow. He had a pair of chicken bots and the water was only waist deep, so they were able to just walk around out there firing their main guns at everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

Might want to make the waters 10 or 15 units deeper out there to make it behave more like people expect.

@doompants The decal behaviour is mostly intentional- supposed to give an 'epic feeling' when zoomed out and seeing tons of units moving over the detailed terrain, but when zoomed in, it disappears so building large bases, pathing, putting PD on cliffs etc. is not obstructed.
I think what I'll do is split the decal into two with different cutoffs and reduce their intensities, so when zoomed out, it produces the current effect, and then when you zoom in, instead of disappearing, it will instead halve in intensity.
I'll also look into the water issue.
Thanks for your detailed feedback! Much appreciated

Concordance

A 20x20 designed to be an alternative to Bermuda Locket in high level play. Fixes a lot of the terrain issues and RNG drops that Bermuda has while offering a different but familiar overall mapfeel.
d25c0744-5110-42f2-b7d5-678f298b92cb-image.png
1c5ec35c-38d4-447b-810d-ac0df5dd598d-image.png

Adaptive Fangtooth Islands

My entry to the Brigadier Fletcher mapping tournament. Inspired by the many flaws of my much older Mangrove Delta map and the need for a much better flowing island-based navy map for 4v4 than Point of Reach.
9392d9a7-032f-4126-9efb-ccfd1ff497ac-image.png
c546fffc-1132-4af8-89cc-b6806e40c0d4-image.png

Adaptive Violet Ridge

Inspired by a Mapgen map that Farms played on. I found the layout of the central plateau, only accessible by two ramps, very interesting, but the original map had a lot of flaws that required making a lot of adjustments.
c0fcc5e2-58bb-4181-9aa0-ced059b454b4-image.png
7252d8a6-f360-4f6f-ab6e-e418ddc36d35-image.png

3 maps in as many weeks. Someone stop this man, he's out of control.

Good shit Klutz!

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

@indexlibrorum If you ignore the 7 month gap in posting ๐Ÿ˜‚ thanks!

Fixed the "double suns" lighting bug on Stickleback Ridge, and reworked the spawns of Tamara Pass, as well as uploading a draft of a new 1v1 map, Jacob's Ladder.

c89165de-95aa-40b1-8862-de4a5a3591ff-image.png

I downloaded some of your maps a long while back to test out with my mod. They were really nice maps! I see you made your maps open to being modified. Hope you don't mind if I make a few Survival versions, possibly, in the future. And hope to see more asynchronous maps! I love asynchronous maps and they work really well for survival play!