'Brigadier Fletcher' Mapping tournament

Also, what exactly is the theme? Just UEF in general I'd assume?

Signing up.

There's no need to sign up, once the details are finalized there will be a submission deadline

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Signing up.

@jip is this contest still going to happen?

Yes, but I did not have the time to finalize it yet.

The 'Brigadier Fletcher' mapping tournament is open for submissions until the 12th of November, 2023!

Have fun and good luck for those that compete 🙂

I had an old map idea that would suit the requirements, signing up

No need to sign up in front - as long as you post your submission before the deadline has passed 🙂

@thecrimsonknight said in 'Brigadier Fletcher' Mapping tournament:

Also, what exactly is the theme? Just UEF in general I'd assume?

I've not responded to this I think, apologies! Yes; it is a general UEF theme. The goal is that when someone looks at the map that the observer can clearly identify the planet as being part of the UEF faction.

Making my post early because I'm unsure how busy I'll be during November.

Adaptive Fangtooth Islands

17f553ba-d185-4da7-8857-65bcbeb93c60-image.png
The idea was to create a navy-dominant map with strong land elements (air was always going to be relevant due to map size). Here we can see this idea manifested in multiple long islands that can be fought over by land but cut off by sea. Most of the mass on the map is vulnerable to navy, so that secures it as the primary theatre, but the capability of hover vehicles to navigate the numerous ridges should not be underestimated.
fe28a87a-5bd9-4a28-8cc9-f06cf5e12555-image.png
Features considerable Adaptive mex spawning for meaningful games regardless of player configuration.
09398468-d393-4683-a2ad-0d9c44773557-image.png
Note: The map is still actively under development, do not take the version currently on the vault as the final product until the week of the deadline.
6f76213d-8464-4426-9553-c567663c4a6d-image.png
Thanks to Jip for hosting.
acba0d1d-ce6f-4b14-ae70-62cd5c9cbece-image.png

Humble reminder that the deadline is in roughly two weeks worth of time 🙂

@jip said in 'Brigadier Fletcher' Mapping tournament:

You can use the following lists as a rough example to what we use to deduct points for this section. If you'd like to read more about AIs and what they may find difficult then you can read up about it on the wiki

Is this page a 404 for anyone else?

If it can't be fixed soon, then I guess I'll need my questions answered here instead.

1. How do I make my navmesh take up less space? currently it's at 36.9Mb, and I know I need it below 30, but how?

2. How do I check for the generated expansion markers?

3. How do I check for the generated large expansion markers?

4. What do you mean when you say "legacy pathing/AI utility markers?"

5. What defines a "small plateau?" Is it a T1/T2 transport struggling to drop an engie? or is there an actual measurement we can use?

Thanks!
-Crimson

Is this page a 404 for anyone else?

I've updated the link.

How do I make my navmesh take up less space? currently it's at 36.9Mb, and I know I need it below 30, but how?

Usually it is because of a noisy heightmap. Seton's Clutch for example is relatively clean and only consumes about 20 mega bytes.

How do I check for the generated expansion markers?

Start a game with the AI adaptive. Start the game. Assign a hotkey to the map utilities window. Open the map utilities window. Navigate to the Markers tab and choose the marker types that you want to visualize.

326c6e96-00bc-4eed-a854-e0eb3561dc2f-image.png

2114eff5-26dd-4951-83fa-8dac37251722-image.png

What do you mean when you say "legacy pathing/AI utility markers?"

The AI markers that you can place in the editor. See also:

What defines a "small plateau?" Is it a T1/T2 transport struggling to drop an engie? or is there an actual measurement we can use?

There is no measurement. If transports have problems dropping units off (and after building a single structure, like an extractor or a pgen) then you can assume the plateau is too small. It will make it difficult if not impossible for the AI to understand how to approach it

Thank you Jip!

-Crimson

After a short discussion surrounding the submission of @TheCrimsonKnight I decided to drop the following AI grading criteria:

Navigational mesh

• Navigational mesh generates in more than 4 seconds
  • Navigational mesh is larger than 30 megabytes

These were intended to limit noisy heightmaps. But in practice they also limit the creativity of an author. That would be damaging to the submission. As a result I'm dropping these two grading criteria all together.

Good luck for those that compete 🙂

My tournament submission was kind of a last-minute spontaneous idea that I thought I could accomplish without the normal amount, i.e., fifty plus hours, of effort. The idea is several large artificial monoliths for base-building surrounded by water and maybe just a bit of natural-looking terrain, and it's predicated on the phenomenon that if the water level is the exact same height as the land you get to build and move land units as usual, but the water textures are also rendered.

Kings of Beta Ceti

No one now living knows where the massive columns, dubbed the Kings of Beta Ceti, came from, what they're made of, or the significance of their markings. But these mysteries are going to have to remain unsolved, at least for a while longer. The moon, officially named Beta Ceti E 44, is approaching its perigee with the super Jovian and the entire site is rapidly flooding. The UEF scientists are packing up and leaving, abandoning everything but their data. Even the exceptionally expensive Black Sun instruments will soon be submerged.

Site brief courtesy of UEF Advanced Special Programs Division.
kobc03.png

Image from Novax pass 29:40:10 local time.
2a2ba55a-1bb1-49a1-8010-4e7a7135277b-kobc01.png

Final transport leaving Logistics Command. The floodwaters have reached the peaks of the artifacts.
1317bb92-16d2-41d8-8328-e10c12c995e6-kobc02.png

Each spawn has about 1k mass reclaim. You can go first navy factory without moving if you wish.
kobc06.png

Each civilian area contains about 2k mass reclaim.
kobc05.png

The Black Sun wreckage was reduced to 15% of its original mass.
kobc04.png

I'll get this uploaded to the vault in the next day or two. Thank you @Jip for hosting another tournament.

One final shot of some flooded structures.
kobc07.png

Oh man, wish I got to return sooner. Would have loved to participate.

@Morax There will be another one soon-isch 🙂