Matchmaker Pool Feedback Thread

I think comet catcher is a good map. Need an interesting build order and scale your production as you go, instead of dragging a line of facs at min 2 and leaving it at that. Lack of reclaim also makes it so much more important to use units efficiently and reclaim EVERY unit trade you get

Anyone could make the tierlist though, just use the website B)

profile picture credits to petric

@sladow-noob said in Matchmaker Pool Feedback Thread:

If someone from the MatchMaker-team could be so nice and create a tierlist

I can make them but I usually just give them to the map pool creator to post if they want so there is no forum drama.

The embodiment of depression...

Main reason I asked is bc there's a high chance mine just gets ignored if I post it - at least I assume that cuz I have nothing to do with the pool nor am I known for being a ladderplayer 4head

Isis in 1v1 pool is giga aids change my mind, 5km maps are also not great. Like you wait in queue for 30 minutes, pmevery single human in existance, finaly get epic ladder match and its willy... Its so unsatisfying

Skill issue

@tomma

As you know, 1v1 ladder pools are cumulative, in the sense that you get all maps of your bracket and lower. Isis is put in the pool for the <200 bracket. This means that the <200 players have a 1 in 4 chance of playing their game on this map. The other three maps also being easy 5x5 maps. For a 1800 player like yourself you will get games from a pool of 20 maps. This means you have 1 in 20 chance to get Isis. The map is of course less suitable for the higher bracket, and therefore there is less chance you will play on it.

As for excluding 5x5 in ladder.. Opinions differ a bit on this. However, its definitely true that interest in playing 5x5 maps is inversely correlated with rating, meaning higher rated players are less likely to enjoy playing on a 5x5. But there are quite a few exceptions. That's why there was decided to increase the probability to play on a 5x5 map when you are lower rated and decrease it when you are higher rated. However even when you are 2k+, you will still play 1/5th of your games on a 5x5..

Excluding 5x5 maps from high level 1v1 ladder altogether would necessarily mean that we cant use the cumulative system anymore, because new and low rated players need these maps to ease into the game. There have been some discussions about this in the matchmaker team, but there was no consensus on changing to a non cumulative system like tmm.

@stormlantern said in Matchmaker Pool Feedback Thread:

@tomma

As you know, 1v1 ladder pools are cumulative, in the sense that you get all maps of your bracket and lower. Isis is put in the pool for the <200 bracket. This means that the <200 players have a 1 in 4 chance of playing their game on this map.

Why did that system get changed?? I clearly remember Yudi talking about the system that 1800+ players only get the maps from the 1200-1800 and 1800+ or whatever the next lower pool is. Giving 1800+ people the maps of <200 pool feels wrong on so many levels.

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/2955/new-changes-to-the-2v2-tmm?_=1680449732538
okay it was 2v2 TMM, my fault. But then.. Why not implement this system? I'll create a tier list later on anyway to see whether it's just our / my opinion on those 5x5 maps but still.

Also since the map pool just got updated.. Can you send me the one from last month? I'd like to especially implement those maps in the tierlist and don't remember all the names.

@sladow-noob

Because in 1v1 all maps still has a high skill ceiling whether or not they're made for beginners, not the same applies for 2v2/4v4 because the gameplay is much easier and one dimensional in general if high level players get low level maps.

@sladow-noob said in Matchmaker Pool Feedback Thread:

Also since the map pool just got updated.. Can you send me the one from last month? I'd like to especially implement those maps in the tierlist and don't remember all the names.

The pools are announced on the forum.. So you can find it in the announcement post.

Humble feedback from a (bad) 750 rated player:
first, I only play 1v1, because 4v4 is too hard for me and you get sometimes insulted when you do mistakes - which happens a lot when you are around 700 - and I find that some maps are selected too often.
For instance, all the "classics" like isis, williamson bridge, crossfire canal, syrtis, eye of the storm, open palm... just to name a few, where guys who know meta have much more chance to win !
There are so many new maps to try... it would be nice that when one map is in the pool, it can't be selected for a certain period of time, for instance, just to make sure that we don't have it in pool 3 times a year !
More mapgen would be cool, it would level things maybe, so I'm glad to see it's back !

Also, 20x20 are often enough naval maps, which are hard to play at my level... managing transports and navy is harder. I guess I have a 80% loss ratio there 😕

From a general point of view, I really appreciate all the efforts and the time of people invested here, thanks again to them for allowing this great game to live on 🙂

This post is deleted!

@redhotchilipeper If you want, I made a post a couple of minutes ago with a tierlist. Even though it's rather directed towards high ranks, knowing what other people think prob won't hurt

@sladow-noob ok thanks, I'll take a close look when I'm back from work 😉

Can we have something else than only 20x20 maps in the 3v3 matchmaker? I'm so sick of these maps.

@plasma_wolf
There have been zero 20x20 maps in the 3v3 matchmaker. Thus far, the maps in it have all ranged from 10-15 km. You can look at the map pool here

pfp credit to gieb

Ok let me rephrase. Can we have 3v3 maps where the t3 air rush is not mandatory? even the 12.5x12.5 maps have this 'fun' feature.

Mandatory t3 air rush residentsleeper

Skill issue

ABOLISH MAPGEN! ALL HAIL MAN MADE ASTRO!

@plasma_wolf

What mapgen settings do you prefer?

I am concerned that most generated maps I played in the mode are 4v4 in nature. Thus there is an asymmetry that leads to 2v1 commander battles and short games as one commander dies and others don't have enough control anymore.