SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions

@manimal_ said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades seem to be bugged:

I assume you know how to make resources generator "cells"
e.g. 2 x T3 Pgen + 2 T3 MassGen in a cross-like shape.
Repeat until you reach 1 k of mass

Yes that works if you either have no opponents or they just idle.
If your opponent actually tries to defeat you, you will lose if you build kennels and he spams t1 engies.

@zlo said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades seem to be bugged:

Assisting with engies is for the factions that don't have Kennel like units...

Nah, t1 engineers are more mass and power efficient, if you don't use those you will be at disadvantage.

maybe cybran Hives are not that bad, but other factions don't have them.
kennels are more expensive than hives and can get killed by air (especially if you don't play with FAF :P, on FAF asfs can't target drones so your base doesn't get destroyed by asf fire)

I assume you know how to make resources generator "cells"
e.g. 2 x T3 Pgen + 2 T3 MassGen in a cross-like shape.

Repeat until you reach 1 k of mass

not sure how resource farms have anything to do with factory assisting and efficiency of buildpower...

at 1rst you would have to assist those air factories anyway, because if you don't then you get bombed, and even after when you made those resource farms it is still more mass-efficient to assist with t1 engineers (we are talking about vanilla FA here 1.5.3599 i assume where you need just 3 t2 pgens to start making t3 air)t)

you make t3 air probably before all your mexes are on t2 and before t3 pgen and before t3 engineer... you need to help your team instead of going toward 1k resources

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

@zlo said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades seem to be bugged:

if i could set that if i double clicl ASF or interceptor and all faction ASF or inteceptors get selected

Good idea. It should be that way.

i think the hotkey "select similar units" does that
not sure tho

Hey did you really have to write that? As a newcomer I really don't feel welcome here, I mean sure, some people greeted me, I also got 3 trainer propositions in PM and some tutorial links I guess, I don't really remember, there were too many. Anyway this place really is hostile, I was just poking around and you have to come in all self-important with your sarcasm. It's so hard to fit in here, everyone always refuses to talk to newbies and every time I try to ask a question I only get arrogant responses. Why is it so hard to just answer a simple question? I mean yea, some do, but did you have to add your own "meme" on top? Why not talk like a normal person and respect your partner in conversation, Jesus. This place really isn't what it says it is, I hope I'm the only one facing such inexcusable experiences.

This thread makes my head hurt

I understand that FAF has brought some changes in the game mechanics.
But most of you replied my questions as if this was obvious to me.
Just think of me like I'm discovering anew the game...

About Air Factories :
I was trying to underline that they're still looking like T1 in spite of their upgrades to T3...
That's suprizing for some old player who's playing again much later and who's expecting to get a T3 A.F. that looks like a T3 A.F....

AFAIR from replies above :
If I don't upgrade this one stupid HQ thing, then I won't be able to tech up the other factories.
I don't know who decided to implement this idea of HQs and their mechanics, but it does seem useless at first sight.
And I'm wondering if all players find it good.

About the SACUs :
Absolutely nothing indicates that those ones are gaining Veterancy through the "pre-build" button. (again, at first sight)
And WHY would they suddenly gain Veterancy by pre-building their optional (back, torso, shoulder) upgrades ?
Again, this is another choice I do not understand and I do not even agree.
IMHO, you'd better re-use my Veterancy Labs as this would make things much more clear and understanble, not to say acceptable...

I was trying to underline that they're still looking like T1 in spite of their upgrades to T3...

They don't
airfacs.jpg
(Different Amount of Arms on T1/T2/T3 and an additional tower on hqs)

If I don't upgrade this one stupid HQ thing, then I won't be able to tier up the other factories.

The first factory you upgrade will always be an hq upgrade.
all factories after that can and should be upgraded as support factories, which are a lot cheaper than hqs. But once your hq is destoryed you can no longer built T2/3 units from your support factories until you built a new hq.

This allows you to better scale up unit production (as the additional factories are cheaper), without spamming 300 engineers (as this would save you a significant amount of mass in vanilla FA) and this makes the game better for everyone as it will have less lag due to fewer units.

Absolutely nothing indicates that those ones are gaining Veterancy through the "pre-build" button.

They don't. but when killed units give veterancy to their killer based on their mass cost, but do not count their upgrades. The presets are coded in such a way, that they factor in the upgrades in their costs, thus giving more veterancy when killed and leaving a wreck including the mass from the upgrades.

Historicaly , the buildings gain 1 "Tower" per Tech level :

• 1 "Tower" = T1 (the initial look of a factory)
  • 2 "Towers" = T2
  • 3 "Towers" = T3

This way to show up Tech levels was (and is still) good, clear, not ambiguous.

Well the icons are distinct enough. The buildings also look way different so not clue why it is a problem.

It is a problem when I think I'm having a Tech 1 building which is actualy a higher Tech one.

I'm used to the GOOD old visuals...

Seems like a skill issue, just look at the buildings its not that hard.

@spikeynoob said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Seems like a skill issue, just look at the buildings its not that hard.

it is hard to my old eyes... tiny icons with even tinyer Tech marks... d'oh !

And It's getting worse by zoom out

Historicaly , the buildings gain 1 "Tower" per Tech level :

1 "Tower" = T1 (the initial look of a factory)
2 "Towers" = T2
3 "Towers" = T3

No they didn't
airfacsvanilla.jpg
Screenshot from Vanilla FA (no mods)

They look exactly like the support factories (aside from my chosen color)

it is hard to my old eyes... tiny icons with even tinyer Tech marks... d'oh !
And It's getting worse by zoom out

If your having trouble distinguishing icons/tech levels i recommend an icon mod.
mods1.jpg
These change some icons and make higher tech icons larger

mods2.jpg
These make icons somewhat larger (50%/100% size increase)

I agree Air Factories are the only one that change so little after techin up, while the other ones have a neatly different look.
Maybe my memories are confusing some old mod's Air Factories on which I've worked with the non-mod"ed ones.

If I was able to do it in a short time, then I'd make new models that would work like Land Factories and their "towers"...
Result : buildings instantly spotted.

f7bc3081-ccc9-438f-9792-2b3f8f1ed007-image.png

Sea factories are rather ok but would diserve some more details

7b1646fb-bcfa-4692-967e-f05bb35da7d7-image.png

About icons:
This makes me think of my attempt to get "WYSIWYG" like icons in SC and FA back in the days.
Icons shape were looking like units's shape...

Everlasting Circus

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

I'm feeling a bit lost with all of the changes.
Maybe this will change after a few game.
But I'll be busy from next week, this lets little free time for playing.

Now I think my thread should move to general discussion... or not.

@genos said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Is it circus? Or am i in a wrong place?

@genos said in SACUs and Factories Upgrades questions:

Everlasting Circus

Always criticizing others and never giving a hand ?
Nothing more constructive to say or do ?

Moved to General Discussion.