Login Screen forever

I've tried everything I can think of, including restarting my router. I'm at a loss here

From what I have seen @Ryan555 this is commonly a dns issue where the client can't resolve lobby.faforever.com. You could try manually inserting the ip for the lobby by double-clicking the environment button at the bottom before you log in.

I've been waiting for them to fix this for literally like a year now and despite countless updates since last I even tried and they still can't seem to figure it out or fix it. I gave up and moved onto games like BAR, I'm pretty heavily disappointed with FAF.

What do you expect? We have over 20.000 users per month who do NOT have this issue.
If there is a minority of people with weird problems it's a fair assumption to say it's a problem with your computer / operating system / local network setup.
We have seen plenty of logs who describe this problem. Technically there is no reason that the FAF client can't resolve our domain or things like that. Java is running on millions of computer without problems so it's not a Java problem. It's not a code problem. Most probably it's weird firewall problems etc. It is impossible to track from our end.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

As Brutus said this unfortunately only occurs for a minority of users. I have personally tried modifying my system and network configurations however I have never been able to reproduce this on my own machine or setup. This unfortunately makes it impossible for me to figure out how to solve this or if there is anything we can do on our end to help.

Well I already did everything that was suggested to fix this problem, so my answer to that question is pretty much "I would hope it would've been fixed by now considering I've never had these issues with old versions of FAF."

It also seems quite callous to disregard the minority of people having the problem over the majority, especially considering this has been a long time issue now.

As others have already tried to explain, we are out of ideas what could be causing it. And we have no way of reproducing the problem and thus are unable to try things out and checking if that makes the problem go away. So what do you suggest we do?

Do you have the same problem on a different pc?
Do you have the same problem on a different network?

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

@blackyps Considering that this problem started happening in general during the switch from python to java then it is quite obvious someone messed up.

@lordyellow Nothing is obvious when it comes to unreproducible software/networking bugs

Are people still able to log in with the Python client, and if so, have you tried doing that?

Have you tried logging in from a different connection? For example if you go over to your friend's house and use their internet, or a Starbucks with wifi, or whatever

@arma473 I would be most grateful if you could supply me a way to get the old python client. I don't have it anymore since I updated long ago.

Also yea I tried logging in from different spots, just keeps giving me the same issue.

I don't have a copy of the python client but @ThomasHiatt might

Have you tried logging in from a different computer entirely? You can put FAF on a computer without installing Steam and FA. The point would just be to see if you can log in, not to actually play the game on some other computer.

Yea, I'm the only member of this community that can type "faf python client" into google.

https://github.com/FAForever/client/releases

Python client uses same web authorization as official one. The problem is in local network that does not give permission to connect FAF OAuth server in Germany. I had such problem in my college, as i know there is setup of a local server with some firewall rules, so problem is not on FAF side.

If you are using router / everything that stands between you and the Internet, the problem may be in it. Network provider will never block such stuff

The thing I do not understand is that if you post in this forum you are in general able to login via our OAuth server.
But for some reason it fails if we do the same in the FAF (java) client. There is no logical or technical explanation for this.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

I was wrong, i am in college right now and i cant open TCP connection with lobby.faforever.com. Mostly likely due to our local server policy for connections.

7522d1fe-02b6-497d-abd1-6c2310ea7388-image.png

Yes the login forever screen is not because you can't connect to the oauth service. It happens because the tcp connection to the lobby server fails. But again I am not sure why it fails for some people beyond the firewall issues eternal mentioned.

Who was this problem, please mention me when you will be here. I want to try some solutions

So just to keep you informed, Sheikah dug in the dirt and it seems a new issues introduced by one of our libraries in one of the recent version. Multiple reports of the problems with resolving DNS, but looks like nobody was capable of catching logs that could help the developers.
https://github.com/reactor/reactor-netty/issues/1534

At least we have a workaround now that will end up in the next client release.

– Benno Rice