Disconnect tele effect

HI all,

I have just had what i think could be a cool idea.

When the system detects a player disconnect for whatever reason, instead of the com exploding in full share games and killing units and engies around it, it would play the teleport effect instead, explosion would be only upon player killed.

What y'all think?

I like the idea but then people with coms about to die would just close their games instead if the situation called for it. Like if you have an allied low hp ACU near yours

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

This was already discussed and the idea was scrapped as it was deemed prone to abuse.

@deletethis

Perhaps it could be a game settings option?

There are already quite some lobby settings, so it's not really recommended to add even more options "just because idea XY seems neat" (Without the intention of sounding rude here). As a mod sure, but I doubt that it'll get added as an option due to overwhelming people (keep in mind there are a lot of requests to add stuff as options).

Inactive.

This would be perfect for a mod 👍

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

What if each individual player was able to recall, with a proper delay. And disconnecting could simply trigger that delay. I don't see how anyone could abuse it and so what if it can be slightly beneficial in some circumstance, I say good for you for making the right decision.

Just keep swimming

I've not thought of the idea of a delay of some kind. That may be beneficial yes, to prevent losing all the engineers in a base.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I already worked this out, among other options, see: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/5971
In summary it adds 2 new lobby settings: disconnection share conditions and disconnection ACU share conditions.

• Disconnection share sets the share condition for a player after they disconnect. I would expect it to be the same as the share condition or fullshare, but all the other share conditions are available too.
    • To prevent abuse, when the disconnect share condition is applied depends on how the ACU is shared in Assassination.
      In non-assassination, it defaults to fullshare because I find it very unlikely that people can disconnect to avoid death in other victory conditions.
  • ACU sharing determines what happens to an ACU after the player disconnects:
    • Explode: Like normal, the ACU explodes 10 seconds after the player disconnects.
      • It is an instantaneous condition, so if the ACU took damage in the last 2 minutes (to prevent abuse) the disconnect share condition is not applied (no abusing disconnect to fullshare a base in a normally noshare game).
    • Recall: Similar to Explode with the 2 minute timer, but the ACU recalls and doesn't damage anything.
    • Delayed Recall: Disconnected ACUs are shared to allies for 2 minutes or until 5 minutes pass in the game. The DC share condition is applied when the ACU recalls or dies.
      This is the competitive option in my opinion, which gives some time to stabilize and use the ACU, but limits the use time since there were concerns about having two ACUs being OP.
    • Permanent share: Disconnected ACUs are shared to allies permanently, and the DC share condition is applied when the ACU dies. This is prone to double gun ACU abuse or just easily saving the ACU for way later tele/com bomb, but it is the option that maintains the current game state the best, so if people don't find multi-ACU oppressive they can use this option.

@nomander said in Disconnect tele effect:

Disconnected ACUs are shared to allies for 2 minutes or until 5 minutes pass in the game.

Whichever is shorter?

Sounds pretty sensible overall!

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

@indexlibrorum Whichever is longer; disconnecting at 4:55 shouldn't lose the ACU instantly after all.

@nomander said in Disconnect tele effect:.

This is the competitive option in my opinion, which gives some time to stabilize and use the ACU, but limits the use time since there were concerns about having two ACUs being OP.

New standard for ladder perhaps?

Just keep swimming