How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?

Just hopped on after work and this is what the lobbies look like:

ddd6d57c-3f2f-4e42-91bc-9c238312685e-image.png

There's literally nothing somebody less 1k can join that is likely to actually start. Maybe the 1/12 gap lobby will start eventually but there's 2 other gap lobbies above it. I know it's just a single screenshot, but this is hardly the only time I've hopped in during US prime time to see every single lobby or almost every single lobby demanding 1k+. All welcome has virtually died off. When did this community collectively decide that only 1k+ players were allowed to play the game, and why? Is there anything that can be done to actually allow low rated players to play too during US TZ?

No one can block you from playing ranked or coop. Gain experience there, then skyrocket your global rating in noob games

@melanol said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

No one can block you from playing ranked or coop. Gain experience there, then skyrocket your global rating in noob games

I'm 1k, I can play in these lobbies. Not talking about me. Anyway there are no noob games in US TZ most of the time, and if there are they never start.

And if you're playing US TZ there is no matchmaker. I was the only person in the MM queue when I took this screenshot, and 0 active games.

All welcome has virtually died off. When did this community collectively decide that only 1k+ players were allowed to play the game, and why?

This has been the case since I started engaging with FAF. Without @phong there are, in general, very little all welcome games.

Is there anything that can be done to actually allow low rated players to play too during US TZ?

Without joking: they can just host their own game and wait for players of a similar rating to join in. There's nothing that prevents someone from doing so.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

5 options from that screenshot:
1 - Join the All welcome setons game (although given my own experience joining a setons game when I first started custom games after gaining a base level of skill at 1v1 it's not something I would recommend)
2 - Host their own all welcome game
3 - Join matchmaker queues
4 - Play the campaign or a custom game against the AI (intended as a temporary solution if there arent any players in matchmaker and they just want to play some FAF, and they may find other players joining them if they host a lobby)
5 - Post on FAF discord to see if someone will play them in a 1v1 custom game

Speaking only for myself as I used to host all welcome lobbies when I'd play custom games (which wasn't that often admittedly), I've switched to the team matchmaker which is a sort of all welcome lobby

It's a valid concern, although the fix is just as simple: lower ranked players should host more lower-ranked lobbies.
I'll try and host more all-welcome lobbies in the future, though.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

@redx Best is unironically to get a Discord / clan / group with ppl you can play with. I wanted to mention some more options but Mr. Maudlin summed it up pretty nicely already. So yeah, I did the same even though my timezone is normal for FAF.
E.g. when taking a look at the FAF-Discord, I do see Alpha and other ppl chilling in the VC basically 24/7 even during the week and you can just join them. They also do give advice (as a trainer I don't want to say it's good or bad since I didn't check it, but it is there) and have complete newbies there.

So ye, gather a group, create a discord and in a couple of months you're talking about each others' feet. I'm looking at you, Judoka!

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Alternative reality 🙂

95e0f1a7-8ff8-426f-b0b1-b6caf80a5786-image.png

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I watch under 1000 rated 3v3 TMM games. They are baaaaaaad. It's kind if amusing to watch them

cool, thanks for that take. Definitely improves the quality of this thread and shows how nice and non-toxic the FAF-community is.

The game is already a pain in the ass to try and play with high ranks, you couldn't pay me to try hosting all welcome. It'd be 3 hours of trying to just get a damn game started.

@sladow-noob Your sarcasm is similarly appreciated.

@funkoff If someone asks how low ranks should play the game since it's difficult with the timezone and you go like "lol look at those <1000 noobs! so funny!", what do you expect how ppl will react? Only reason you don't get more replies is because the downvote button exists as you might have noticed. For real, think twice before making those comments because neither are they happy to read such a thing nor does it help solving the problem.

And I'm not even trying to be toxic, iirc you're even on my friendlist on FAF; However those type of comments are just unnecessary and shouldn't just be ignored since it'll deliver the image of "ah nice, ppl laugh about low ranks and noone says anything against it"

@snoog

How does the ranking of a player affect how long it takes to get a game started?

@sladow-noob said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

If someone asks how low ranks should play the game since it's difficult with the timezone and

Can you ellaborate on why these players can't use the matchmaker functionality?
From my experience it's a really good way to get games, and it honestly seems to be MORE populated at the lower levels than it is at higher ratings.

(This isn't meant to be a hypothetical, nor a 'gotcha' question btw... I myself think of at least 2 reasons why new players might not use that option, I just wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page before I started spitting out ideas.)

@maudlin27 said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

5 options from that screenshot:
1 - Join the All welcome setons game (although given my own experience joining a setons game when I first started custom games after gaining a base level of skill at 1v1 it's not something I would recommend)
2 - Host their own all welcome game
3 - Join matchmaker queues
4 - Play the campaign or a custom game against the AI (intended as a temporary solution if there arent any players in matchmaker and they just want to play some FAF, and they may find other players joining them if they host a lobby)
5 - Post on FAF discord to see if someone will play them in a 1v1 custom game

Speaking only for myself as I used to host all welcome lobbies when I'd play custom games (which wasn't that often admittedly), I've switched to the team matchmaker which is a sort of all welcome lobby

1 - The setons game never started iirc.
2 - Sure, they're going to be waiting a long time and probably be discouraged if that's how their experience is day after day.
3 - Matchmaker, as I said before, is totally dead in US TZ.
4 and 5 are viable, although playing against AI isn't really the same thing and won't help their rating either.

@jip said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

Alternative reality 🙂

95e0f1a7-8ff8-426f-b0b1-b6caf80a5786-image.png

The magic of not living in America and/or not working a day job I guess.

@redx Adjust that sleeping cycle!
Or what, you're gonna say you have a life?! 😉

@sylph_ said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

@sladow-noob said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

If someone asks how low ranks should play the game since it's difficult with the timezone and

Can you ellaborate on why these players can't use the matchmaker functionality?
From my experience it's a really good way to get games, and it honestly seems to be MORE populated at the lower levels than it is at higher ratings.

(This isn't meant to be a hypothetical, nor a 'gotcha' question btw... I myself think of at least 2 reasons why new players might not use that option, I just wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page before I started spitting out ideas.)

Have you ever looked at how many people are in the matchmaking queue during US evenings? Hint: It's 0. You might, MIGHT be able to get a 1v1 game, if you don't mind getting absolutely shitstomped by somebody who has 2k games of only 1v1.

@sylph_ said in How exactly do we expect low rated players to play the game?:

@redx Adjust that sleeping cycle!
Or what, you're gonna say you have a life?! 😉

Trust me, if I could play FAF during the day I would. I don't think my boss would appreciate it though.