Disconnects While Playing Supreme Commander

Could you please indicate the current status of announcement 'Addressing Severe Connectivity Issues - What has happened!'

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/6182/addressing-severe-connectivity-issues-what-has-happened

When I play I still see far more disconnects than there used to be on FAF.

The disconnects usually involve two players disconnecting from each other while all other connections remain. The game stops and takes a few minutes to show who has disconnected from whom and then generally several more minutes trying to persuade one of them to exit so the game can continue.

Most games have at least one disconnect and it's common to have several disconnects in one game. Games are frequently won/lost due to disconnects as a player and all their buildings/units disappearing usually has a big effect.

I think the degraded game experience is making people leave FAF so they can play other more reliable games.

Here's my unofficial answer until one of the server devs comes by:

We've heard the complaints about connection issues and many of the team members have encountered it ourselves. However step 1 of addressing the issue would be having a way to track it, and currently there is none. The server does not know if and how many disconnections happen in a game. Without knowing anything about these disconnections other than "they seem to be happening more than they used to."

So we'd first need to code a way of tracking the issue, and as is always the problem, who's gonna do that?

FAF is a volunteer-run project. There's nobody we can call into our office and tell "Jeff figure out what's causing these disconnection issues and fill me in on Friday's meeting." If you know anybody with the required skillset, time, and willingness to help, please get in touch with us!

what we need whilst waiting for players to figure out whats going on is a mini game, or rock paper scissors or flip a coin so we can vote on which of the 2 players that have disconnect should leave so the rest can continue playing. something to doo while we all stare at the connection screen.

@deribus Why not rollback all of the network changes back to 2022? Only problems that I saw back then would be a small disconnect in the beginning and then it would resume, can't anyone that was involved with development since 2022 trace all the network changes that have been made up to now and test them again? From around november 2022 to before.

I don't know of any in-game network changes made since then. @Brutus5000 might know more

@loghy said in Disconnects While Playing Supreme Commander:

Why not rollback all of the network changes

For many weeks there were malicious attacks against the FAF network infrastructure and only the refactoring of the network stack prevented it AFAIK. It comes with some hiccups, which need attention, but hitting the "Rollback-Button" is not a viable solution.

The ice adapter gets refactored as well, in the best case it will fix or at least narrow down the issue about the disconnects. You can follow the progress here:

https://github.com/FAForever/kotlin-ice-adapter

I know the disconnects are annoying - the developers are working hard as volunteers in their free time to make FAF better, but they have a family and a job as well, so just give them some time and things will improve.

@magge Maybe we have a "bug bounty" or even just an "root cause analysis bounty".
The disconnect problem is the dominating issue with FAF. The issue affects retention too.

@deribus Where would be the best place for me to post the issues I have along with the logs?

Not sure. Maybe in the tech support forum.