4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner

What will be coming?

We will be releasing the following:

1. 4v4 No Share - also know as Share Until Death
  2. 4v4 Fullshare

A combination of the ladder and development teams reviewed the content available for release of the two matchmakers, along with the player councilor discussing feedback from the players. In the end we determined that the two matchmakers for 4v4 would be best to accommodate the desires of the playerbase.

Differences between the two new queues

Per feedback from conversation with players, it was determined that there is a large desire for a matchmaker similar to typical custom games where players can find a more relaxed game experience. So the queues will work like this:

• Share Until Death is enabled - keeping ACU snipes as a viable option to end the game.
  • more 10x10 and less 20x20 maps - keep the ratio of 20x20 lower for more relaxed play
  • Unique Rating

For the Fullshare Matchmaker:

• Fullshare is enabled - keeps games playable after losing a player
  • more 20x20 and less 10x10 maps - more spread out games, similar to a Seton's experience
  • Unique Rating

Both queues will use your global rating and add some more deviation on top to initialize the new matchmaker ratings. After that your wins or losses in global won't affect them, just like the other queues. With this we want to avoid that pro players will get matched randomly with lower players like it happened with the initial 2v2 release. The deviation increase will still allow you to reach a new rating quickly if you are under- or overrated in global. It will also make your displayed rating approximately 400 points lower until your deviation has settled again.

Why is there no 3v3 matchmaker being released?

Quite simply, we wanted to bring a matchmaker that would be most appealing to a wider audience. In addition, the following issues exist:

• There are very, very little 3v3 maps in the map vault
  • 3v3 is the rarest form of gameplay
  • We want to test the 4v4 matchmaker to make adjustments, if necessary, before adding another queue

What needs to happen before release?

We need all people to use a client version that can handle different per-queue game options, most importantly different share conditions. The newest client version (v2021.10.0) has that capability. With an old client you would still see the queues, but the game would refuse to start. Because of this we will need to set the minimum required client version to that version, so everybody will be forced to update. This means it is especially important that this new version doesn't have any big issues and we will only increase the required client version when we are positive that this is the case. So check it out here: https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/releases

The other thing that needs to happen is deploying the new server update. We can't really give an estimate when that will happen, because Brutus is very busy at the moment.

Note that the deployment of the new queues is more like a configuration change and separate from the server update and client release. As explained above we can't give an exact date yet, but I estimate some time in the next few weeks is realistic. We will keep you updated when we have a release date.

Can we get a sentons only fullshare que, given sentons is typically played with optimum balance now it would be used so much

Not at the moment.

This is absolutely fantastic, might challenge Age of Empires 4 for me.

@blackyps said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

• Share Until Death is enabled - keeping ACU snipes as a viable option to end the game.
  • more 10x10 and less 20x20 maps - keep the ratio of 20x20 lower for more relaxed play
  • Unique Rating

I hope that the 20x20 maps in this pool will be similar in playtime range to the 10x10's in this pool? It would be a shame if the average game time deviates too much.

literally the best thing i've heard for the last several months

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

Very nice!

But which maps though?

Hopefully all of the Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance official 20 x 20 km maps for 8 players will be included.

The Honorable Recall

Great news. Thanks guys! Faf is getting better and better.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

I ask you to show the pool of cards a few months before the release and their number! This should not be a decision in the silence of a small group, without universal reaction and criticism

4v4/3v3 tmm talk was always around for the last 6 months

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

Need dat Seton's queue...
;D

The Honorable Recall

please only queues for relevant maps like dual gap, thanks

Amazing work!

Not entirely sure if a unique rating for each of the two 4v4 queues makes sense, but I guess the similarity of the modes, or lack thereof, depends hugely on map choice.
Regardless, increasing the deviation for the overrated globals (like me) was a very smart move!

@cheeseberry said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

Not entirely sure if a unique rating for each of the two 4v4 queues makes sense

If anything we will find out if enough people play both modes.

But I imagine that knowing how to properly build a paragon or mavor is more relevant in one mode than the other, for example.

@robustness said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

I ask you to show the pool of cards a few months before the release and their number! This should not be a decision in the silence of a small group, without universal reaction and criticism

We are sorting out the maps for the pool. Upon completion of the draft I will be posting it here for feedback, just as we do for ladder and 2v2.

@valki said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

This is absolutely fantastic, might challenge Age of Empires 4 for me.

@blackyps said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

• Unique Rating

I hope that the 20x20 maps in this pool will be similar in playtime range to the 10x10's in this pool? It would be a shame if the average game time deviates too much.

Playtime is not something you can really control. I have seen 10x10 maps last longer than 20x20 and Vice versa, unfortunately. In fact, just about any hilly plateau i have played I set aside at minimum 45 minutes as the gameplay is very “turtly.”

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved in the Matchmaker development. I’m really excited for this.

@robustness said in 4v4 matchmaker is just around the corner:

Please see this thread for that very request, Robustness:

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/2872/4v4-tmm-map-list-wip-community-feedback-welcome

Why we have to wait always three minutes even when enough player are waiting, will this be changed?

There is a small waiting time to enable creating the highest quality games possible.

When there are more people available then better balanced games can be created.

If there are 4-5 ppl waiting, and there is a good quality it could just start immediately, i don´t see why it should´t.
Just because next loop could get some 0,% better quality?

CoH matchmaker 2v2 starts immediately too, when quality is balanced.

The only advantage, you have 3min to go piss or do stuff.