Why would you have left FAF?

Doesn't anyone care! Aeon buffs are ruining FAF! Jks overall back to the main topic why would you leave faf ? being upset at humans isnt a reason why anyone should or would quit. Thats nothing to do with the "GAME" mechanics, or experience if the flags were removed everyone you play would be ambiguous šŸ™‚ and i love the flags shows just how diverse FAF is! what a great game that we can all just get around and enjoy together while the world goes crazy! Hats of the the guys in China who manage to get past lobby sim!

@Brutus5000 I left because I felt uncomfortable about this war. You have rightfully dismissed my considerations often enough, this one I even kept to myself while it was actual. Why do you care so much about this?

@valki said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Later this seemed resolved, but I didn't return over community toxicity.

I feel obliged to finish this discussion, but I feel community toxicity remains a good reason not to return.

@valki said in Why would you have left FAF?:

@Brutus5000 I left because I felt uncomfortable about this war. You have rightfully dismissed my considerations often enough, this one I even kept to myself while it was actual. Why do you care so much about this?

Basically I just explained to the rest of the community why we do not take any actions beyond our statement.
You are free to leave FAF for whatever reasons and you don't even have to give one at all. Nobody should judge you for that. And I can understand your point.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 Thank you.

Politics is a poison to anything it touches.

@brutus5000 said in Why would you have left FAF?:

where we obviously can blame one side and banning them is easy (that is the case with Russia)

It makes me feel a little better when I consider that many of the Russian players that I might play FaF with, could very well not support the invasion.

I have an eastern european friend that briefed me about how scared some people are of 'speaking out' in Russia. I try to bear that in mind, and like to imagine that the players I'm in a game with are living under a tyrannical government, trying to get a bit of escape in a videogame.

Sure, I might be idealising things a bit here, but better that than assuming the worst. šŸ™‚

@sonofibis How strong do you find the UEF jamming and cybran stealth?

Re: the fine-points of aeon T1 navy - I admit I haven't met an opponent that made a big effort to smush my shards when I'm aeon, so it has just felt like aeon T1 navy is similar to other races, albeit with slightly more labored build queues for the naval factories! I'd be interested to hear whether sniping shards or similar tactics can be an advantage at a higher level... (?)

I totes agree though, Tier 2 feel very different... But I don't just find it 'aeon best 'cus flak/shield', when I play.
I'm not very experienced, and I'm writing to learn here... I'm not terribly good at large naval maps, but in the ones that I play, I tend to find that when destroyers and cruisers come out to play, the UEF thunderhead's jamming and the cybran mermaid's area stealth really hamper my destroyer's ability to attack the enemy navy successfully. At least without forcing things into something a little committal for my liking!
UEF & cybran naval counter-intel might well be less of an advantage than hovering flak and shields, but I'm super-interested to hear why or whether other people have an easy way around it. Because, for me, it feels just as tricky as hover flak/shield!

I can build a cruiser when I don't have hover flak and it does roughly the same job... Hovering shields, while useful, don't seem to really change the paradigm of a naval battle too much at my level... But being unable to attack well with destroyers using radar does feel like a big difference.

(I'm guessing that frigate spam is the general counter to this radar/intel angle, and they're totally my go-to; but still, jamming/stealth kinda forces me to 'act' and change tactics - much more than hover flak does!)

Do you never encounter this problem? How do you nullify it? How do you feel naval counter-intel compares to hover flak/shield?

This post is deleted!

Leaving a game because of a war talk about first world problems

I'm thinking of leaving because of the terrible, terrible networking code. There is absolutely no way that TCP is this unreliable. It is ludicrous how many games are left hanging because of random people disconnecting from each other. The internet would not work if it was this unreliable. It's absolutely ridiculous to pay for 1 GB fiber, be connected via ethernet, have no background applications running and still be responsible for lag.

Obviously this doesn't happen in literally any other games. I play starcraft. Never lag, almost never experience these connection issues and I am virtually never responsible for any lag unless we are 1v1ing in Korea. I play many games flawlessly. Only this game exhibits these issues.

@tstedel There is this https://forum.faforever.com/topic/6182/addressing-severe-connectivity-issues-what-has-happened
which tells you about certain problems and why disconnects happen "recently".
Also FAF is free and unlike starcraft there is no company with any significant amount of money behind it and no microtransactions. If you were paying 0$ for your internet connection, would it really be free of disconnects?

@tstedel I do agree saying this is probably the main issue with FAF atm. Nothing else really matters in comparison.

dont you relize ? they give a shit. the unspoken reason y ppl leave faf is faf.

No, but everyone I read shit from people like you I lose all motivation and rather do something else.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

plz...

@brutus5000 Pats Brutus on the head.

It seems the balance team and leadership also suffers under community toxicity. I would suggest a strict code of conduct, that also protects volunteers from 'free speech' to some degree.

To the balance team:
I would like to repeat that your work made me come back lurking to the forums and if I do find myself playing FAF again it is entirely thanks to your work.

This post is deleted!

I left because I got annoyed with the quirky controls of the game. Attack move and tree groups. Things like area commands being blocked by the council really bummed me out. Things that make the macro control of the game more modern where blocked because they constituted "dumming down" the game. On the other hand, interesting controls on units, like overcharging, got the automation treatment.

But to be fair, I might have left anyway because I don't like to allocate as much time to gaming as I used to anymore.

Asking for FAF to take a clearer stance on the russian invasion of Ukraine is unfair tbh, for various reasons. But I do believe that having people with eastern orthodox mindsets in charge is bad for the community (because they make for poor leaders in general). A very strong example of people with this mindset was Biass - always dragging arguments to a personal level, never able to keep an argument constructive. Always having some bizarrely distorted view of personal pride and what constitutes as a personal attack.
What this community needs more is people who think and argue like Bodir. Always detailed and constructive in his analysis. At least from what I could see on the forums.

@chiefbigfeather said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Eastern orthodox mindsets in charge is bad

You define people by the major religion in their area?