[Guide] : fake-fullscreen and optimisation

@tatsu said in [Guide] : fake-fullscreen and optimisation:

@arma473 no it's not accurate.

you just use the ui party mod as stated. you'll see it's ideal. and the screens truly behave as two independent screens even though you're in fake fullscreen.

According to that thread, I'm supposed to use UI-Festival instead of UI-Party. Do you know if that's true? So I have to get UI-Festival through github because it's not in the mod vault.

Or does UI-Party currently support different-size screens?

the point of UI-festival the way I see it is only if you have two screens of different resolutions.

if your two screens are of the same resolution UI-Party is the one for you.

one is landscape, the other one is portrait. So it probably just won't work for me. I'm doing okay without fake fullscreen so I guess i will just stick with that. Thanks for your help though.

Is there a way to get any kind of optimization without fake fullscreen? Can I use AHK to prioritize the thread, without fake fullscreen?

Is there a benefit to doing it the way outlined in the OP over using an app like Game Companion?

well yes,

1. this is more optimized, lower consumption of resources than Game companion and
  2. this allows to execute our optimization of FA itself.

@arma473 well that's where you would need UI-Festival.

anyways it's up to you

@tatsu said in [Guide] : fake-fullscreen and optimisation:

There are multiple versions of the script depending on your monitor setup, and whether you just want the windowed fullscreen, the optimization, or both.

This makes it seem like you shouldn't need fake fullscreen for the optimisation. As it is, I couldn't get the fake fullscreen to work this way for some reason (probably user error) so I will just switch back to what I was doing before I guess.

Just so no one has to look for it, from the prior thread, here is the script given if you want to use AHK for optimization, without using it for Fake Fullscreen. There are other examples of scripts people used in the prior thread (https://forums.faforever.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9778)

#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
#Persistent

procName := "ForgedAlliance.exe"
SetTimer, CheckProc, 2000
Return

CheckProc:
    If (!ProcessExist(procName))
        Return

WinGet Style, Style, % "ahk_exe " procName
    If (Style & 0xC40000)
    {
Run, %comspec% /c process -a forgedalliance.exe 111111111110    ;remember to edit this to fit you thread count!!
Run, %comspec% /c process -p forgedalliance.exe high
    }
    Return

ProcessExist(exeName)
{
   Process, Exist, %exeName%
   return ERRORLEVEL
}

return

(And remember to edit the thread count where the comment in the code indicates, e.g. 1110 for 4 logical cores, 11111110 for 8 cores)

This post is deleted!

yeah I had that too.

check the spacing.

it's space sensitive for where it begins and ends the loops.
mine looks like this :

1ed264e8-1055-4573-9393-24cda1998ab7-image.png

Can the fake full screen / multi monitor thing be done on linux?

@SpikeyNoob said in [Guide] : fake-fullscreen and optimisation:

Can the fake full screen / multi monitor thing be done on linux?

no.

I don't think so.

I gave up but if you find a way let me know!

look here : https://forum.faforever.com/topic/123/guide-fake-fullscreen-and-optimisation/2

what’s the Linux step by step

ok worth a shot ig. Ill let u know if I ever figure it out.

Made anower variant of AHK script.
Using Win 10, AutoHotkey, Steam version of game and Downlord's FAF Client.
For some reason Steam runs "SupremeCommander.exe", FAF Client runs "ForgedAlliance.exe".

I made some manipulations to make AHK script

• stop or pause by itself if game haven't started after 2 minutes or right after script done all things,

• do things only once on each game start,

• do nothing then nothing is needed and also

• run singleplayer from descktop shortcut made by Steam,

• run multyplayer from descktop shortcut for Downlord's FAF Client.

Lets start from Steam descktop sortcut:
Just right click game shortcut , go to Properties and change URL (I had steam://rungameid/9420, we will start it in script) and insert full file path to your script, Save. Old URL insert into script.
To check it, simply open sortcut in any notepad you have. You will see somethig like that:
File "Supreme Commander Forged Alliance.url":

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,9
[InternetShortcut]
IDList=
IconIndex=0
URL=file:///D:/Program%20Files/FAF%20borderleess%20fullscreen%20window.ahk
IconFile=D:\Steam\steam\games\540979be595a41206b56a2e427c29dce1c212ad2.ico
HotKey=0

Note: just Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+V full file path, Windows will add "file:///...%20..." staff by itself if done in Properties.

Next is doing the same for FAF Client:
Right click this time Downlord's FAF Client sortcut (it is standard *.lnk, no url staff) go to Properties and change Object path from "D:\Program Files\Downlord's FAF Client\downlords-faf-client.exe" to "D:\Program Files\Downlord's FAF Client\FAF borderleess.ahk". Old Object run in script.

So, it is time for scripts!

Scrip file "FAF borderleess fullscreen window.ahk" in "D:/Program Files/" directory for singleplayer:

#NoEnv
SendMode Input
#Persistent

Run, steam://rungameid/9420
procName := "SupremeCommander.exe"

Process, Wait, %procName%, 120 ; Waits for process to start, no more then 120 seconds
NewPID := ErrorLevel
if not NewPID
{
    MsgBox The specified process did not appear.
    ExitApp ; Stop this script
}

return

CheckProc:
    if (!ProcessExist(procName))
        return

if (Style & 0xC40000)
    {
        WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, % "ahk_exe " procName ; remove the titlebar and border(s)
        WinMove, % "ahk_exe " procName , , 0, 0, 1920, 1080 ; move the window to 0,0 and resize it to fit across 1 or 2 monitors.
        WinMaximize, % "ahk_exe " procName
        WinRestore, % "ahk_exe " procName

; set High priority and cores affinity 
        Process, Priority, %procName%, H
        ProcessHandle := DllCall("OpenProcess", "UInt", 0x1F0FFF, "Int", false, "UInt", NewPID)
        DllCall("SetProcessAffinityMask", "UInt", ProcessHandle, "UInt", 14 ) ; 1110x2 = 14x10 CPU 0 unchecked, CPU 1-3 checked
        DllCall("CloseHandle", "UInt", ProcessHandle)

ExitApp  ; Stop this script
    }
return

ProcessExist(exeName)
{
   return !!ERRORLEVEL
}
return

This one starts before singleplayer, calls Steam to run the game, waits for game, does borderleess fullscreen and optimisation and stops right after that. No script running while you are playing.

Scrip file "FAF borderleess.ahk" in "D:\Program Files\Downlord's FAF Client" directory for multyplayer:

#NoEnv
SendMode Input
#Persistent

Run, downlords-faf-client.exe

procName := "ForgedAlliance.exe"
procNameClient := "downlords-faf-client.exe"

Process, Wait, %procNameClient%, 120 ; Waits for process to start, no more then 120 seconds
if not NewPID
{
    ExitApp ; Stop this script
}

; Stop then FAF Client stoped
Process, WaitClose, %procNameClient%
ExitApp

CheckProc:
    if (!ProcessExist(procName))
        return

if (Style & 0xC40000)
    {
        WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, % "ahk_exe " procName ; remove the titlebar and border(s)
        WinMove, % "ahk_exe " procName , , 0, 0, 1920, 1080 ; move the window to 0,0 and resize it to fit across 1 or 2 monitors.
        WinMaximize, % "ahk_exe " procName
        WinRestore, % "ahk_exe " procName

ProcessHandle := DllCall("OpenProcess", "UInt", 0x1F0FFF, "Int", false, "UInt", NewPID)
        DllCall("SetProcessAffinityMask", "UInt", ProcessHandle, "UInt", 14 ) ; 1110x2 = 14x10 CPU 0 unchecked, CPU 1-3 checked

Process, WaitClose, %procName%
    }
return

ProcessExist(exeName)
{
   return !!ERRORLEVEL
}
return

This starts before FAF Client and waits for FAF Client to run the game. Script is checking for game in loop every 2 seconds. On every game start it does borderleess fullscreen and optimisation BUT does NOT stop after that. Script pauses the loop while you are playing, but is still running while doing nothing. Then the game is over script will resume the loop to catch your next game start. Once you stops FAF Client, sript will stop automaticully.

Now :

• sortcurts will run AHK scripts,

• scripts will run game in Steam or run FAF Client,

• scripts do nothing while you are in game

• you don't need to stop scripts and

• you can hide script file anywhere (well, for FAF Client better keep it in client's dir, maybe becase of ' in directory name).

• Oh, and you need only AutoHotkey for this to work.

If all worked fine you will see in task manager high priority and unchecked first core (CPU 0) affinity for game process, "fake fullscreen mode" in game and no Alt+Tab issues.

Note:
In case your taskbar don't want to hide at all (rarely happens when very actively using other soft at game start, so I don't fix it) you may add hotkey or auto hiding like this:

Process, Wait, %procName%, 120
if not NewPID
{
    ExitApp
}
; hide taskbar on process start
HideShowTaskbar(true)

; here do anythig like SetTimer, CheckProc, 2000

; show taskbar on process stop and stop this script
HideShowTaskbar(false)
ExitApp

; set action to true to hide or false to show Taskbar
HideShowTaskbar(action) {
   static ABM_SETSTATE := 0xA, ABS_AUTOHIDE := 0x1, ABS_ALWAYSONTOP := 0x2
   VarSetCapacity(APPBARDATA, size := 2*A_PtrSize + 2*4 + 16 + A_PtrSize, 0)
   NumPut(size, APPBARDATA), NumPut(WinExist("ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd"), APPBARDATA, A_PtrSize)
   NumPut(action ? ABS_AUTOHIDE : ABS_ALWAYSONTOP, APPBARDATA, size - A_PtrSize)
   DllCall("Shell32\SHAppBarMessage", UInt, ABM_SETSTATE, Ptr, &APPBARDATA)
}

taskBarIsHidden = false
; ["ctrl" + "win" + "z"] hotkey to toggle taskbar
; this should be in the end of the script, nothing else worked otherwise...
^#z:: HideShowTaskbar(taskBarIsHidden := taskBarIsHidden = true ? false : true)

@tatsu

Not that well it seems)
Thanks for you comment I reread post and found one significant error:
It seem I Copy-pasted not the latest version, multipleer script neend one extra line to make it pause the loop
" Process, WaitClose, %procName%" in the end of "if" section. Without this line script do not pause the loop...

One more error fix: in "NewPID" remain procces ID of FAF Client, not the game, so process affinity was set for FAF Client, not for game 😕
Fixed by adding "NewPID := ErrorLevel" after setting high priority:

}

Hope it was last one...

whenever I'm back on windows I'll give it a spin and I'll let you know!

@io_nox Thanks for the script revision (also thanks to @tatsu for the original). I do have a couple questions.

1. How would I revise the line for changing the affinity for 16 logical processors?

2. To use this for the LOUD mod which uses the exe from the base SCFA install (Steam for me) but points to its own init file for loading, would I just need to replace "steam://rungameid/9420" in the script with the contents of the Target of the LOUD desktop shortcut ("F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin\SupremeCommander.exe" /log "..\logs\Loud.log" /init "..\LOUD\bin\LoudDataPath.lua")?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

@mostlostnoob

1. well I type 1s and I count to 15 with every 1 and then I type a 0 :

do you mean with the IO_Nox method? no idea. maybe it does it automatically with his code?

1. Again I don't know what script you're talking about. if it's mine then you just need to detect whatever exe so the name would be "SupremeCommander.exe"