What can be done to make 1v1 more popular?

I really wish 1v1 was more popular. I had my reservation about it, but playing a few games it's quite dynamic and fun. But it's just not a great experience to be in queue for 5-15 minutes to get a game that might also be unbalanced. Where did the little notification for 1v1 games go? Is this even a concern for the relevant teams?

@ganima

1v1 is a rather popular gamemode for FAF standards. Its only when you get higher than 1600 rated that you start to experience some difficulty getting games frequently. Perhaps you are in a timezone that is out of step with popular play time?

A few reasons for me

1. the maps - this is obviously a personal preferance and will be different for everyone but i dont like small maps or large maps or navy maps so that puts me of playing because the chances of me getting a map that i would want to play on would be like 1/10

1.1 small maps are very micro intensive and usually result in very short meaningless games, large maps leed to long boring games

1. rating, i dont play many 1v1s so my 1v1 at the min is not reflective of my true skill and i can say the same for many others, i came across this guy the other day with 3 games rated at 400 but played like a 1400 at least, so you just dont know what caliber of player your going to be up against as its all over the place.

2. its just not as fun as playing with others, more so if in discord with friends.

3. you cant blame your teammates for doing random stuff šŸ™‚

Find a 1 000 000+ subscriber caster or streamer and make him make videos about it

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

@stormlantern What are the peak hours for FaF? @Jip also said in the cursed thread that they might have some 1v1 stats to share?

@lowki said in What can be done to make 1v1 more popular?:

A few reasons for me

1. the maps - this is obviously a personal preferance and will be different for everyone but i dont like small maps or large maps or navy maps so that puts me of playing because the chances of me getting a map that i would want to play on would be like 1/10

1.1 small maps are very micro intensive and usually result in very short meaningless games, large maps leed to long boring games

1. rating, i dont play many 1v1s so my 1v1 at the min is not reflective of my true skill and i can say the same for many others, i came across this guy the other day with 3 games rated at 400 but played like a 1400 at least, so you just dont know what caliber of player your going to be up against as its all over the place.

2. its just not as fun as playing with others, more so if in discord with friends.

3. you cant blame your teammates for doing random stuff šŸ™‚

This is the exact reason I don't play 1v1. I am horrible at 5x5 and navy and have no desire to have that as part of my skillset so I stay clear of 1v1 rather than risk playing these types of maps.

A veto system for matchmaker is in active development at the moment.
I'm also looking into bringing back the indicator that someone you can match with is searching

@ganima

Peak hours are European evenings I guess. Especially in the weekend of course.

Ladder is decently active but you see a lot of the same people at whatever rating level, not terrible but itā€™s definitely dependent on if certain people are queuing multiple times in a row

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

I'm biased because I use the client in fullscreen and have tons of space because of that, but you could combine the matchmaking and custom games screens so that people can always see where other players are and join the correct games.
Also automatically exit queue when joining a custom game to make this UI setup a bit easier to use.

Of course the message that someone else is searching is more important.

@nomander

I often hear this sentiment that this notification will result in a higher participation in ladder. And while im not against its implementation, im not sure it will actually lead to more ladder games.

I can imagine two 2k ladder players wanting to play ladder, both not queuing since there was no notification of someone else of their rating being in queue. If not for this notification however, they might have tried for a few minutes.

Can the ratings (or approximate ratings) of those queuing be shown beneath each queue?

Here's how:

1. Delete all 5x5 maps from the pool (maybe 1 is acceptable)

Reason: 95%> of 5x5 map games end within 15minutes, which I bet for most players is not fun. Therefore anything larger, like the customary 10x or 20x maps incentivise longer gameplay. You can rationalise this logic by using an endless amount of analogies. Here's a few.

Analogy 1 - I like to watch TV shows, and find great pleasure in binge watching them. One of my favourite TV shows is Dexter. I recently binge watched the first 5 series (for the second time). When I begin my binge watching, I don't just watch 10 minutes of one episode, or 18 minutes of an episode, what is the point of that, unless you suddenly have to stop watching it for whatever reason. At minimum I watch a full episode, which ranges from 45 - 60 minutes. Often I would watch back to back episodes. By doing this, I see the full arc and plot of the episode, and become engrossed in the story and characters being portrayed.

Analogy 2 - I am partial to a bit of online, and over the board chess. It's a timeless game that millions enjoy. Now imagine a chess game where you're playing bullet chess. Games last <3minutes. Imagine further that every piece on the board is removed for both players, except their king, and 1 or 2 pawns. Each player has 2/3 pieces. Imagine further, instead of the standard 8x8 board of 64 squares, you now have a 3x3 board of 9 squares. Now picture how this hypothetical game looks and feels as a player. It would be very fast, and frankly boring, in which both players gain little to no satisfaction in playing. At least by playing with all your pieces on a full size board you can explore the 10^120 possible moves the game has to offer.

Analogy 3 - As a lover of crisps (potato chip), I can easily devour any size portion of crisps, such as the 30g bag, a 50g bag, 100g or 200g sharing bag, no problem. Let's take the standard serving size bag which is typically around 30g. I open the bag, and I begin eating the contents. I eat the whole bag and finish the contents. The same applies to most bags up to 200g, where I will often save at least half a 200g bag, or a 1/3 if I'm feeling fat that day. I would never open a bag of crisps (30g) eat 1 or 2 crisps and leave the bag to eat later. I will eat the whole bag. There is little point or pleasure in eating a few crisps from the bag, when the bag has so much more to offer, i.e. it's entirety, of which provides a full and satiating serving.

Now,

Similarly, I do not enjoy playing this game for such a short period of time. I want to maximise my fun by playing for not too short a time, but equally not too long a time. Personally, I enjoy games that last a minimum of 40 - 60 minutes irl time. The game has a large scope, with many units, many things to do and actions to execute. This can not be explored to any real degree in such a limited and constrained scenario, of which, a 5x5 1v1 ladder match essentially is.

I understand that many players gain the most satisfaction from playing this game by simply defeating their opponent. Being the victor, the superior player is very satisfying, maybe the most satisfying aspect of any competitive game that requires you to end the virtual existence of your opponent. Defeating them fast can only serve to boost this feeling too right.

But take a step back. In the context of this game. Are you really serving the higher good by beating opponents as fast as humanly possible. Is that encouraging players to want to play more? How sure are you to get another game after you just spend 97 minutes in a queue only to have killed your guy, or being killed by the guy in a mere 9 minutes and 34 seconds? šŸ˜• Is playing the game and winning in 9 minutes and 34 seconds more satisfying, pleasurable and entertaining than playing for 43 minutes and 12 seconds, win or lose?

The game was made to have fun, to remove you temporarily from the absurdity that is real life. Yes part of that fun involves beating an opponent in it's online competitive variant, but it's not the only aspect of it.

@yew You claim that the issue with the 1v1 ladder is the overabundance of 5x5 maps. This statement may or may not be true, however the arguments you provide are not sound. You can use analogies to better explain ideas, but you canā€™t use it to ā€œrationalize logicā€. The obvious issue being that FaF is not actually a bag of chips or a TV show. Any arguments that you make based on this premise are going to be flawed.

I am fine with 5km maps. I donā€™t like large 20km maps because I feel the games are too long and have too much mass in them. On this issue the matchmaking team and I agree, since most maps are 10km or 5km in size. Perhaps they have some data to back up their decision.

@ganima

The maps you get are dependent on the average rating of the players. See the current mappool in the forum post under "Anouncements". In general, lower rated players get smaller maps and higher rated players get larger maps. This in order to create gameplay that is both comfortable and challenging.

As with all things in life, it requires balance, saying large maps are for these people and small maps are for these people I believe not for the best.

another way of looking at this is that small maps require more micro and therefor suite a higher skill, and larger maps require more macro wich is something most players are familiar with.

lower skilled players can manage eco and these sorts of things but do not understand how to best use those units when they have been made, for instance i often see 1k players make rocket bots but then just suicide them in with t1 ect aswell as undertsanding that flares can beat mech marines but if microed the opposite can be true this is not a low level thing.

small maps mean that the loss of every single unit counts and could mean the differance between winning or losing whereas on larger maps there is more room for error.

I believe a map size that would provide the best experiances would be 10-12km

the only differance i can see in skill required for a map would be how much water there is, having a third factor to manage ontop of air and land would increase the challange, even more so with faction diversity, low players would struggle when their opponent spams zues or aeon t1 tanks on a navy based map when they are uef or cybran.

@lowki

No you are wrong. Individual differences aside, lower rated players in general prefer more 5x5 maps and higher rated players enjoy more 10x10 and 20x20 maps. The only plausible explanation is that map complexity becomes more enjoyable when you become more skilled. These preferences are not only understandeable intuitively, but are also observed. There was some survey done to establish this a few years back.

That said, its true that you need to have some variety at all levels. I know some 2k+ players that enjoy 5x5 a lot and wouldnt mind having half their pool be of that size. Also I know some <700 players that would like to play more 20x20. As always with these things, you cant please everyone. If a specific feedback becomes very frequent, however, I agree that changes need to me made.

It's hard to manage everything on a large map when you are low skilled (like me)

As conclusive as it's going to get.